Loud Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ckloewer, Mar 24, 2015.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I think better sound in many clubs/halls are because the old , completely deaf sound guys have retired
    There are so many amps you can run out and buy , and if you don't want a light amp at the same time , the market is yours
    If you prefer old-School , a Super Reverb is my personal favorite. The smaller versions with 2 tens might not cut it if you are that loud. I recently had to do a speaker swap to be loud enough with mine.

2. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

I know I know I know! Big mega amps are stupid, they're heavy, aren't venue friendly and hurt your ears. I'm in that choir, totally in it. Years ago a sold my big amps and went with an AC15. Completely swore 'em off. I've had bassman's, Sovtek Mig 60, Musicman RD100. I told myself I'd get rid of them, and never play in big loud bands like that again. And then, I'm hanging out with some of my best friends, who I used to be in a band with, and wammo, we're back at it. I hear what you're saying about the drummer, but this band doesn't exist without having all of it's current parts in place (these dudes were in my wedding for chrissake) and we're just a big loud artsy punk band. We're expected to be loud, the venues we play in expect us to be loud and there's simply no getting band practice getting done without a loud amp. I bought a case of earplugs at the hardware store. We are a friendship first type of band (the BEST type IMHO) honestly, even with a Twin at 4 or 5 we probably aren't the loudest band at whatever show we're playing.

The truth is, there are no other circumstances in which I would want an amp this big ever again. Which is why I was thinking maybe I could make things happen with Deluxe Reverb, because that amp would have a life which extends past this band. But I know in my heart my dream small amp is a Princeton anyway.

I mean, c'mon guys! SUPER REVERB! You know you want to turn that thing up to six and let those big lush minor chords wash over you! Or whip out some fuzzface laden rock&roll genius to make your friends envious. Back when I used to play these in these types bands I sucked at writing songs and just went for big riffs and weird arrangements. I didn't understand how to make my amps sound great either. I don't suck at those things anymore. I can put together a decent rock tune with a nice melody, I know how to sit in a mix and what the nobs do on my guitars. I know how to play to the strengths of the other guys in the band. I deserve one last decibel driven second chance!

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

A Showman equipped with one or two JBL D130s, ultralinear Twin Reverb or Quad Reverb. Better still, a Fender PS300, one of Fender's early '70s 6550 powered amps.

As a young bassplayer I wanted a Fender PS400 with three cabinets--each cabinet had its own 6550 power amp for a total of 450 WRMS (really closer to 540 WRMS). A "bass amp" with reverb. The head was around 90 lbs and came with a chrome Vox-style dolly--heavier than an SVT top.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

A PS400 is like owning a classic Ferrari. You can't really drive it, you have to be careful where you park it and it will spend a lot of time in the shop if you want it to run right.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

If you want a SUper Reverb just get one....I am 50 years old , and play in a blues rock band. I know some people play the "must be too loud " game on the internet , but.......I have no idea what people do with small amps in a band like ours , I would never get volume enough with a Princeton or a Deluxe .....People thinking about if they should change out their "big" deluxe for a Princeton , eh.....?
    I have had the same experience as some others , looking at a twin at a dealership and wondering how small it looked after reading all the comments online about how big and heavy they are
    There may be some people that only play through pa , and have sound guys every time out , but we usually don't.....I have no idea what I should do with a Princeton , sorry...

6. Runner

Runner TDPRI Member

I have an old (1968) dual showman. Clean as all get out with verb. It could sit on any cab. Mine is the 2X 15 monster you don't want to move. You can also pull two power tubes and push it at 50 watts. The twin and the showman are brother and sister. One is a combo the other isn't.

7. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

A head/cab thing might be the ticket. Pro Reverbs too.

8. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

HRD is probably your best bang for the buck, and the clean channel is very nice. IMO.

When I need headroom I use a Bassman 50 head or a 50 watt Phaez Corona (4 x 6v6) head through a 2x12 cab. I don't get to use that rig very often these days!

9. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the same boat! I've been playing with my old band from the 90s again. We are also a loud band. I brought my deluxe reverb to one of our rehearsals. No good! I had no clean headroom. Now i'm using my split Twin reverb (head and cabinet) or my Dual Showman. These are loud amps and they sound great. Plus using a head and cabinet will save your back.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

c'mon. You don't have to crank a Super Reverb to love it. It's good all over the dial.

I guess the question might be: what are you waiting for? how old do you have to be to get what you really want?

Is that talking you into it? I hope so. See first, you go get the Super, because that's what you "need" right now. that will give you time to go look patiently for the Princeton you also "need".

No "need" to thank me.

11. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Try a Prosonic.

12. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

That's it in a nutshell. They are like Ferraris; rare beasts.

To that, I can add that even one PS400 cabinet could not be shoehorned into a VW Beetle or compact station wagon, the price of the head with one cabinet at that time was close to a nearly new import car and there was no way my then-bandmates or ex-wife could be conned into helping me move it.

13. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I gig a Fender Supersonic 60W 1x12 combo. I mic it to FOH but I've played it backline as well. Loud is a relative term, but I'd say the 60W version is loud. Not Dual Showman loud lol. I only use the channel that emulates a Bassman. When I bought the Supersonic I was just about ready to buy a used Twin but the Twin at 64 pounds weighs 10 more pounds than the Supersonic and the lighter weight for loading in/out was my final deciding factor in buying the Supersonic. Overall I like a cranked Twin better but how often can you crank a Twin? I'm very satisfied with the Supersonic.

14. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I played through a Super Reverb over the weekend in GC with a P90 equipped guitar. It was beautiful.

15. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

If you need a reason to get a Super Reverb, you have it. They sound great. The Supersonic 60 watt is a good idea, too.

I'm a big fan of piggyback amps like Bassman, Showman, Bandmaster, Tremolux. Fender didn't make many piggyback amps with reverb, though. Are there others besides the Showman Reverb and Bandmaster Reverb? If you're open to newer Fender amps, the Supersonics come in a head form and have reverb, and I remember seeing a Deluxe Reverb head that is new. (Though I think most have guessed that the Deluxe Reverb won't be loud enough for you--I don't have enough experience with Deluxe Reverb amps to know.)

16. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Why should you get a Super Reverb? Because they're there. Oh, and because of how they sound. :D CS

17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'll be 60 this year. I have two twins, and two Marshalls.. :eek:

18. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Great thread, nice to read about players that crank it. Big amps can make a guitar come alive. Don't forget the hearing protection.

19. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

You guys are the best, I knew I could count on you:lol:

20. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

A guy I know gigs a pair of Deluxe Reverbs. One wet, one dry. Killer tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.