Lou Reed, the Music Snob

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's not good to make fun of the dead. And of all the dead folks out there, one that I really *WOULDN'T* want pissed at me is Frank. Beware.

I hv tried to read or watch any interview with Frank, he was fascinating and so much had insight without the BS!!
Truly a fascinating man and much respect for his pursuits.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I suspect a lot of those lou reed quotes are fake. He was a cranky jerk, for sure, and for example I've seen interviews where he's really contemptuous of the Beatles.

Lou also contradicted himself, a lot of the time. I agree with the notion that, his #1 priority was saying the thing that would kick a person back in their seat (if he could).

I think we should try to be nice to others. Some times, these threads, I just go and plug in and play something instead of posting something that's too frank.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
I think we should try to be nice to others. Some times, these threads, I just go and plug in and play something instead of posting something that's too frank.

I agree and disagree with this. Yes, nice is a good thing. But when someone is being honest (some are just going the shock factor thing) about what scratches their chalkboard it gives me a bit of insight into their aesthetic or intellectual appreciation, while rarely does it bother me if someone dislikes those things I appreciate. Heck, if I needed a girlfriend that likes the music I love I'd be a 40 year old virgin.

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
“Iggy is stupid. Very sweet but very stupid. He’s not even a good imitation of a bad Jim Morrison" - Lou Reed

I think this probably pissed Iggy off because when he compiled his favorite albums of all times he mentioned the stones,hendrix, beatles, and all these other groups that influenced him a lot, but did not mention the VU.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Lou Reed's work, especially with the Velvets, had a massive influence on my own music. He's up there in my personal pantheon as a songwriter. But he could be a real grouch, and as many have said above, he liked to get people's goat. His words here are interesting, but I would take them with a grain of salt. Just like Macca calling the Stones a "blues cover band" or Bonham dissing the Beatles, or whatever the latest Classic Rock Out of Context Kerfuffle is, it's really all just jibber jabber.

Rock on.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
“Iggy is stupid. Very sweet but very stupid. He’s not even a good imitation of a bad Jim Morrison" - Lou Reed

I think this probably pissed Iggy off because when he compiled his favorite albums of all times he mentioned the stones,hendrix, beatles, and all these other groups that influenced him a lot, but did not mention the VU.
I love Iggy pop, and he certainly ain’t no dummy , but maybe he’s acquired a lot of knowledge since his younger days . And I bet that Lou teed quote was from the 70’s

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
I love Iggy pop, and he certainly ain’t no dummy , but maybe he’s acquired a lot of knowledge since his younger days . And I bet that Lou teed quote was from the 70’s

Yeah, I suppose you are right. It is all just speculation at the end of the day. I am just surprised he did not list the VU debut, because the way they had long improvisational parts on records reminds me a lot of the VU.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
How about Ray Davies' review of The Beatles' "Revolver"

The-Kinks-Ray-Davies-once-reviewed-The-Beatles-album-Revolver-22Really-its-a-load-of-rubbish22.jpg

Revolver Side One:​

‘Taxman‘ – “It sounds like a cross between the Who and Batman. It’s a bit limited, but the Beatles get over this by the sexy double-tracking. It’s surprising how sexy double-tracking makes a voice sound.”

‘Eleanor Rigby’ – “I bought a Haydn LP the other day and this sounds just like it. It’s all sort of quartet stuff and it sounds like they’re out to please music teachers in primary schools. I can imagine John saying: ‘I’m going to write this for my old schoolmistress’. Still it’s very commercial.”

‘I’m Only Sleeping’ – “It’s a most beautiful song, much prettier than ‘Eleanor Rigby’. A jolly old thing, really, and definitely the best track on the album.”

‘Love You Too’ – “George wrote this – he must have quite a big influence on the group now. This sort of song I was doing two years ago – now I’m doing what the Beatles were doing two years ago. It’s not a bad song – it’s well performed which is always true of a Beatles track.”

‘Here There and Everywhere’ – “This proves that the Beatles have got good memories, because there are a lot of busy chords in it. It’s nice – like one instrument with the voice and the guitar merging. Third best track on the album.”

‘Yellow Submarine’ – “This is a load of rubbish, really. I take the mickey out of myself on the piano and play stuff like this. I think they know it’s not that good.”

‘She Said She Said’ – “This song is in to restore confidence in old Beatles sound. That’s all.”

Revolver Side Two:​

‘Good Day Sunshine’ – “This’ll be a giant. It doesn’t force itself on you, but it stands out like “I’m Only Sleeping”. This is back to the real old Beatles. I just don’t like the electronic stuff. The Beatles were supposed to be like the boy next door only better.”

‘And Your Bird Can Sing‘ – “Don’t like this. The song’s too predictable. It’s not a Beatles song at all.”

‘Dr. Robert‘ – “It’s good – there’s a 12-bar beat and bits in it that are clever. Not my sort of thing, though.”

‘I Want To Tell You‘ – “This helps the LP through though it’s not up to the Beatles standard.”

‘Got To Get You Into My Life‘ – “Jazz backing – and it just goes to prove that Britain’s jazz musicians can’t swing. Paul’s sings better jazz than the musicians are playing which makes nonsense of people saying jazz and pop are very different. Paul sounds like Little Richard. Really, it’s the most vintage Beatles track on the LP.”

‘Tomorrow Never Knows‘ – “Listen to all those crazy sounds! It’ll be popular in discotheques. I can imagine they had George Martin tied to a totem pole when they did this.”

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I saw him around then, and he didn't suck at all! He did when I saw him in the 80s, probably because Robert Quine wasn't in the band.