Lou Reed, the Music Snob

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Not a big Zappa fan...but can't play??? Sure Lou...
FYI, Reed begged the RnR HOF to be the one who inducted Zappa. Which is odd considering he never said anything nice about him when he was alive.

While I love a lot of Lou Reed's stuff, when he offers his critiques of others...remember he released this abomination.

Oddly enough, all of that is a pretty good argument FOR Lou Reed inducting Zappa. They were very similar people in a lot of ways, and Metal Machine Music could easily be mistaken for a Zappa recording.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I never saw him with the Mothers, but I typically didn't like the Mothers on record anyway. But I saw him several times in the early-mid 80s and thought he was pretty darn good. Not everyone's cup o'tea certainly, but hardly a NO-talent. He ran a tight ship, and I wouldn't have enjoyed being in his band much.
Would have loved to have seen him back in the day. Born a bit too late. It just takes a quick search to realize the breadth of talent Zappa had in his band at any given time. You don't get that if you're a bad musician. If people are not into his work, that's okay, but you can't conflate that with not having any talent.

John Frets

Tele-Meister
Oddly enough, all of that is a pretty good argument FOR Lou Reed inducting Zappa. They were very similar people in a lot of ways, and Metal Machine Music could easily be mistaken for a Zappa recording.
They had widely different views on drugs. The only drugs Zappa tolerated were the ones that he used prodigiously: caffeine and nicotine.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I guess I don't care much about what Lou Reed thought. He wasn't a big factor in my life. Didn't punk-era bands hate everyone? A couple catchy tunes that I like. Good lyricist. Otherwise - meh.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
competitive people saying mean stuff about each other and some strange journalist writing it all down and fanning the flames. There are artists in this thread I love and don't love and in my youth, I'd say mean stuff too (and maybe now too in a weak moment.)

I enjoy reading it for a little while, then it gets old and kind of sad and I feel like I need a shower.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
well, yeah, but there are two kinds of people... people who would consider jamming a needle full of street heroin into their arm and people who would not think that was a good plan. Pretty good dividing line, right?
Not only that, but I know whose opinion I would value more.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Pedal-DKE-1-Lou-Reed-Sig.jpg

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I find it amusing that someone at the forefront of punk feels inclined to offer scathing reviews of others' musicianship.
Most of you probably don't want to know my opinion of VU.

Reed was never punk. And the idea that punk and poor musicianship go hand in hand is a myth. There’s no more poor musicianship in punk than there is in rock in general.

Reed’s strength was melody, song construction, and lyrics. These things are often lacking in some of the groups he is criticizing. The giveaway to where Reed is coming from is that he praises Fogerty. He’s interested in songcraft, and the artists on this list that are songcraft artists, like CCR, the Kinks, The Beatles, and Bowie, received praise from Reed.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Reed was never punk. And the idea that punk and poor musicianship go hand in hand is a myth. There’s no more poor musicianship in punk than there is in rock in general.

Reed’s strength was melody, song construction, and lyrics. These things are often lacking in some of the groups he is criticizing. The giveaway to where Reed is coming from is that he praises Fogerty. He’s interested in songcraft, and the artists on this list that are songcraft artists, like CCR, the Kinks, The Beatles, and Bowie, received praise from Reed.
Lou was never punk per se, but he was certainly a part of the underground vanguard that evolved to punk.
And I'm not saying punk = poor musicianship, but the genre certainly invited more than its share of pure rot.
As for Lou, he certainly had his moments, but more often than not, his stuff just missed the mark for me. I'll just say I don't hold him in the high reverence many do, and leave it at that.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
20. Richey Edwards on The Levellers “You could go to any Levellers concert and stand in the middle and shout, ‘Jeremy!’, and 75% of the audience would turn round.”

I don't really know either of the people here, but that is funny, funny stuff.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I was surprised at his take on Roxy Music, and surprised that he liked Creedence. The rest is pretty much what you'd expect, although he was kinder to John Cale than their personal histories would suggest.