1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lotus ES 335 Copy Specs?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Strowbri86, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

So I was at my local Guitar Center just now and spotted one of the infamous Lotus lawsuit ES 335 guitars. I've never played one so I thought I'd check it out. I figured it would be okay, maybe akin to an Epiphone pro or something. WRONG. It is amazing. It plays like butter. Perfect intonation. No fret ware, no scratchiness, no dead spots, and just so so smooth. And it sounds spectacular. I almost always switch out stock pups on any guitar, and I'll probably be keeping these in.
    I felt like Albert King playing it. I mean I can't say enough how surprised I was, and it was $299. So of course I bought it.
    So now I want to find out more about this specific model. I know it is from the Samick factory in Korea but I can't find any official specs online.
    Does anyone know offhand where to find them or know them already? I don't even know what wood it is made of. Mahogany I'm guessing?

Thanks!

1533668413622.jpg

SecretSquirrel and FenderGyrl like this.
  2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

It should be maple for the body - I can see maple through the F hole - and quite likely the neck as well with Samick. The centerblock may be maple, as in a real 335 or it may be mahogany as with the Samick made Sheratons of the late 80s. If you look through the F hole, if the centerblock is the same colour as the back it's most likely maple and if it's a darker brickish colour it's likely to be mahogany.

Those early Korean Samicks are generally very good guitars. I had one of their Sheratons for a while and it was very nicely put together.

Strowbri86 likes this.
  3. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Cheers!

jayyj likes this.
  4. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Looks like probably a mahagony block then 1533708681010.jpg

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that looks like mahogany.

6. twr102

twr102 TDPRI Member

If it makes you feel like Albert King, don't worry about the wood. I'm even a wood biased guy, but the end result is everything.

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice! I'd go for that.

8. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

My '97 Samick Epiphone DOT is really a good guitar, very nice mahogany inner block but most important it is really confortable and consistent to play.
    Enjoy it!

9. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

I'd really love to be able to find out what year it is and what kind of pickups they were using at that time. If only I spoke korean, I'd just call someone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.