Lost Package Insurance Claims

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

Well after ~4000 USPS shipments one was finally "lost". A larger than normal shipment of a computer! $1000!

Of course insured with signature delivery etc. It simply "vanished" after leaving local PO. No tracking after day 1.

No problem! File a claim! MAN what a hassle! You actually have to PROVE the value of the loss! I do not get that. What business is it of the insurer what I actually shipped?! USPS took possession and "lost" it. Perhaps they can duke it out with USPS....

Case closed you'd think but my gosh I have had to find email discussions of the transaction (With a friend who emails me almost daily!, so dozens of emails to sift through and edit for content!) Copies of Paypal transaction. Proof of actual value of the item. Contact numbers etc.....

I'm sure they are simply looking for a loophole although NOTHING in the agreement says I have to have such documentation before buying insurance.

BTW I have a friend who has been shipping a few packages daily for years. Probably in the 10,000 shipments the past 5 years. She came to the conclusion, after losing MANY, that "insured" signals the USPS thieves to snag the package. Since she stopped insuring has not lost one package after dozens before! This was the first I insured....and simply gone......

Luckily with a very wealthy friend who has so far vehemently refused to allow me to refund her purchase and deal with insurance for my reimbursement. So just a hassle of paperwork.

BTW Part II. I bought postage with Pirateship and they use Shipsurrance. I'll let you know how it works out but if I ever dio such a thing again I'll deal directly with the carrier for insurance so a one stop claims process. Pirateship actually does the leg work and since I spend well over $1000 a year in postage with them may be more inclined to work a bit harder on me behalf.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
UPS not USPS......... solved.

Yep!

Except there's no UPS pick up or drop off for 50 miles where I'm at!

When I lamented I wished I'd have taken the 100 mile drive with someone they countered with a bunch of UPS packages they'd lost!

Between my friend and I who have over 10,000 packages shipped we've found USPS 1st Class is excellent! I ship to one customer from Northern New Mexico boondock to Connecticut weekly and they get there in 2 days! Always! Vast majority of 1st class gets anywhere in USA in 2-3 days max. Priority on the other hand ALWAYS late! Takes a week!

Pro tip. Skip USPS Priority as the priority is not you nor your package! 1st class the way to go! BTW I'm referring to #0 9"x6" padded mailers v. small Priority boxes.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Could have a bigger problem I suppose.....
306788149_10160262507814025_7719030048972573356_n.jpg

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
¡Bueno!™

Well after ~4000 USPS shipments one was finally "lost". A larger than normal shipment of a computer! $1000!

Of course insured with signature delivery etc. It simply "vanished" after leaving local PO. No tracking after day 1.

No problem! File a claim! MAN what a hassle! You actually have to PROVE the value of the loss! I do not get that. What business is it of the insurer what I actually shipped?! USPS took possession and "lost" it. Perhaps they can duke it out with USPS....

Case closed you'd think but my gosh I have had to find email discussions of the transaction (With a friend who emails me almost daily!, so dozens of emails to sift through and edit for content!) Copies of Paypal transaction. Proof of actual value of the item. Contact numbers etc.....

I'm sure they are simply looking for a loophole although NOTHING in the agreement says I have to have such documentation before buying insurance.

BTW I have a friend who has been shipping a few packages daily for years. Probably in the 10,000 shipments the past 5 years. She came to the conclusion, after losing MANY, that "insured" signals the USPS thieves to snag the package. Since she stopped insuring has not lost one package after dozens before! This was the first I insured....and simply gone......

Luckily with a very wealthy friend who has so far vehemently refused to allow me to refund her purchase and deal with insurance for my reimbursement. So just a hassle of paperwork.

BTW Part II. I bought postage with Pirateship and they use Shipsurrance. I'll let you know how it works out but if I ever dio such a thing again I'll deal directly with the carrier for insurance so a one stop claims process. Pirateship actually does the leg work and since I spend well over $1000 a year in postage with them may be more inclined to work a bit harder on me behalf.

I use Pirate Ship for all book shipments. I use their insurance for valuable books, but don't insure anying under $100. I've been shipping books USPS since 1995 and only one has been lost in shipment.