Lost My Job Yesterday...Familiar Story

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-martini, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tele-martini

tele-martini Tele-Afflicted

This is what I meant by other people having more serious situations than mine.Post Toastie,I'm thinking of you and yours and have fingers crossed that your buisness picks up or you find an alternative way to make money to support your family.

getbent,
    Sorry if I dragged people into posting replies that were too religous or political. I've never been controversial here and always played by the rules .
    Thank you for your encouraging words and for not shutting down the thread.

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Don't forget that there are programs to help out while you're looking for work. Welfare has been a dirty word for a long time, but we all paid in. Don't be afraid to give Social Services in your area a look. It can really save your bacon when the chips are down. Despite my personal beliefs, I have used it when times were tough in the e-meriln house...

Keep your chin up and best of luck in your job search!

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Hang in there. I'm a contemporary, was hit mighty hard in the 80's and .com to .bomb days but pulled out ended up doing alright so keep your hopes high.

Keep your brain and body busy and together they will do a lot to make you feel good. Embrace change and look at ways to sharpen skills. Look at both sides of every story and bury that which could get you down.

Good luck and all the best.

4. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted

Been there 3 times myself, so you have my sympathy. Give yourself a few days to grieve, then you'll be able to get your resume together and formulate a plan. I always made looking for a job a job itself. Be sure to get the word out to friends and family, you never know where the next opportunity ig going to come from. My current job came from my wife's company, and was a job they had not been able to fill for 3 months.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That is just not right, what happened to a good worker like you. The fact you stayed at your last two jobs as long as you have says volumes about your work ethics. Hang in there.

6. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Don't despair. Take time to appreciate the important things, like family & friends.

I know it's bad out there.

I feel for all in your shoes & I keep praying my job holds out 10 more years. I don't know how we stay open. I really don't.

7. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm sorry to hear of your job loss; I hope you can find something quickly. I've been out of work for over six months now with no prospects. I moved back to Maryland from Georgia with a promise of a job from my old employer. I worked one day and they called me to tell me the guy I was going to replace decided to stay. I've had to pull funds from a couple retirement accounts to get by, tax time was fun, with tax and penalties. If I don't find something soon, I guess I'll head back to Georgia.
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but the worry is starting to get to me. Nobody wants to hire an almost 59 year old, hopefully with your younger age, you'll find something quickly!

8. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job brother. Years ago I hurt my back at work, and ended up having to quit my job rather then making it worse. I ended up getting into the trades as an electrician, and I'm very happy with my job. I hope that your misfortune leads you to a great opportunity.

Good luck,

CC

9. porgy

porgy Tele-Meister

Miracles do happen! I was let go from my old job a few years ago, and I was worried like hell couldn't have it, and at 50 i was really worried. Then right before my eyes I saw a business for sale in the newspaper, luckily, I had enough money saved to buy it. It was the perfect business, and like a miracle it was crying to me, buy me, buy me. And it would have bought me the freedom I need, since I had been a slave all my life and had taken more crap than I care to say. But, like an idiot I didn't buy it, my old job called me back. Morale of the story, Sometimes in despair we overlook what is staring us right in the face, and sadly we miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime. Miracles can happen, but we have to look through the forest to see the trees. To this day, even though i am lucky to have a job, i wish I had told my old employer to kiss my, you know what, and bought that business, and now I am still working there and hating every minute of it. With your wife working you at least have some income, hopefully enough to pay the bills, and it can give you time to start looking beyond the forest.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

I know its a bit of a cliche but I remember reading that the Chinese character for misfortune and for opportunity are the same. Things look terrible now but hang in there. It could be a catalyst for better opportunities yet to reveal themselves.

11. ACK75

ACK75 Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that bro. I left a company I hated last August to take a much better job. Then in November that company decides to move to another state to consolidate with another branch. Been out of work since then.

Luckily my wife has a really good job. I've been able to keep up a pretty steady stream of odd jobs to keep bringing in a steady income plus I've been able to put more effort into my freelance art endeavour's as well and biuld that up.

So things always seem to be terrible right after you lose your gig but, as cliched as it sounds, it's the perfect chance to start over in something new.

12. OutlawSteph1975

OutlawSteph1975 Friend of Leo's

Good luck and hang in there Gene!

I've had two interviews in the past year, and only three call backs total. Yet, if I gave up, I would be defeated by myself and that won't ever get me a job.. so I continue, always monitoring if my methods are working. I've re-written my resume four times and have a couple different versions. I've really had to target my search. Throwing the net too widely doesn't help. You can't get into "I'll take anything" mode.

I also get annoyed with people who will take a job for a fraction of what it SHOULD pay because they are desperate. I understand their situation but that hurts all workers and job-seekers IMHO.

Job hunting has changed so much in the past decade. I've got a profile on LinkedIn. It helps to keep in touch with old workmates and maybe meet some new people at recruiting firms and your target companies.

13. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

I'm also very sorry to hear about your hard luck there. I'm in the same boat with you. I'm just hoping and trusting in God that a small business I've started takes off and allows me to move forward in a much more positive way.

Something in all this comes to mind. Could we all help each other if we just bought local first, and avoided "made in china" in all we purchase? No offense to China, but shouldn't we all be trying to take care of our own and each other first by spending our money at home where it can help keep our brothers 'n' sisters, friends and neighbors working so that they can also spend money with us and thereby strengthen our own job security?

Best regards,

Ward

14. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Sounds like you are a very experienced, highly skilled, hardworking, loyal person.

Those seems like an ideal description of an employee or small business owner to me. From the brief hint of your career, your skills probably translate well into any number of well paying jobs. Be confident. Be grateful for everything good you have. Good luck.

15. porgy

porgy Tele-Meister

Free Trade/China

You know, I'll probably get into trouble here, because, we buy cheap guitars from china. But, I have never supported Free Trade. NAFTA, GATT, you name it, it is all bad for America and that is why we have no jobs today, Outsourcing. Well, that is my belief! I am surprised we even have any jobs at all because of free trade.

16. RickG501

RickG501 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear this TM, but there is good advice here. Just don't beat yourself up on this, or get depressed. Get your unemployment, place some little ads in news papers or on bulletin boards, network some music shops and give beginner guitar lessons. That's my plan anyway.

Good luck friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.