Lost A Friend Yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cc50fralin, Jul 15, 2019.

1. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

A friend of about 30 years passed away yesterday to lung cancer, and acute kidney failure probably caused by the cancer.

He smoked at least two packs of cigarettes a day, sometimes more since he was about 18.

Today would have been his 50th birthday.

I did not post this seeking condolences, but to let every one who smokes know that cigarettes will kill you.

He went from diagnosis to death in less than three months.

If you smoke, please try as hard as you can to quit.

If you have a friend or loved one who smokes, nag them untill they quit.

His name was, Anthony.

Be well.

Mike

2. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Sorry for your loss. Wife, kids and friends smoke and it is a constant worry.

3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sorry, man. The Force is strong in that habit.

Afterthought: my sister died of lung cancer, just before her 50th birthday. She never smoked.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry for your Loss Mike, trying to get my Wife to stop smoking, but not getting anywhere??

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I quit smoking almost 40 years ago and I’m so thankful that I did. Even at that, I suffered a serious life-threatening health problem related to smoking, thirty years after quitting, but fortunately, it was treated once and has not returned in the last 10 years. Bladder cancer! I was very fortunate, caught it early and treated promptly.

Smoking is a nasty, stinky, unattractive habit that these days really puts people (non-smokers) off. Best thing a smoker can do is quit ASAP.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Arrrrhggghhh - that sucks. Sorry man.

After 20+ years off the smokes , I still have moments like this past weekend where I really could use a Marlboro.

Anthony I wish you were still here but - I get it. I wish I didn’t but I do.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Cigarettes are the only product that when used exactly as intended... is guaranteed to kill you.

nojazzhere and 24 track like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sorry for your loss.
    My wife died of lung cancer eight days after her forty fourth birthday.
    She was the love of my life.
    I smoked and quit, twice.
    It’s hard to quit, I know.
    It’s been 15 years since I quit.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A good friend came up on the July 2nd long weekend I hadnt seen in about a year in th week he was here he blew threw 135.00 CDN in smokes and 1/4 oz of herbatious inebrience he chain smoked non stop for his whole visit , I was shocked , at 15.00 a pack is almost 7,000.00 a year in smokes, not to mention his other addiction which is considerably more. He told me that his wife has been diagnosed with COPD and that she can smoke a little bit ( yeah right!) COPD is what killed my Mother, she waited to pass the day after her 60th wedding aniversary on July 14, 2004.

Oh well the life choices we make affect every one directly or indirectly .

sorry to hear about you friend

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Not guaranteed. My dad smoked since he was a teenager. He smoked a lot. The first thin he would do when he woke up was light a cigarette.

He lived until he was 80 years old, and never had a problem from the smoking.

Now, he certainly went against the odds, but we can't say that smoking kills everyone who smokes. On the other hand, those are not odds that anyone should be counting on.

Vibrolux59 and Torren61 like this.
  11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

Sorry for your loss and smoking is sure to reduce your quality of life and offend your nonsmoking friends even if it doesn't kill you. That said I still believe health is 98% genetic and common sense practices in lifestyle, not just smoking but everything from eating, exercise, rest, and WORRY. The worrisome folks I've known have had the most health issues. And sure you can argue which came first, but still. When your times up it's over, enjoy what you get.

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Is age 80 actually beating the odds?

My Dad is 93 and I'm sure he's still with us because he quit in the early 1970s and went on a total fitness kick (and still runs 3x week).

He still says that quitting nicotine/tobacco was the hardest thing he ever did (and he only smoked a pipe, not that much consumption really).

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My Dad smoked all his life and could not quit.
    He was disabled by 50 after a heart attack, had bladder and colon cancer, triple bypass and died at 61, that was 29 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for using your loss as a reminder to the rest of us. I work with adolescents, and the new addiction deathtrap is vaping. These companies, which are drug distribution organizations run by real lying $h!tbags who know exactly what they are doing, will happily kill you for profit. That's what they do.

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Yup, smokin' killed my Dad, who was in perfect health and great shape fitness-wise ... but emphysema is no joke, it will kill you dead no matter how tough you are.
    Sorry 'bout your friend ... I lost a friend to lung cancer a couple years ago ... and he didn't even smoke.

16. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Sorry you lost a friend, and thanks for why you posted it, I smoked for 20 years, and have quit cold turkey for just over 1.5 years now. still have the urge but I know better, because it just takes one puff to F with your brain again

this site is helpful, lots if info

https://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

nojazzhere and JayFreddy like this.
  17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

WhyQuit.com was a huge help to me when I quit.

Smoke free 10 year anniversary this coming Thanksgiving.

I had to quit 4 times before it finally stuck.

Quitting was hard. The heart bypass I had 2 and a half years ago was harder.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you lost your friend.

Sanity Inn and boris bubbanov like this.
  18. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

And don't delude yourself. Inhaling smoke into your lungs on a regular basis is going to kill you no matter what plant the smoke comes from.

Ivorytooth likes this.
  19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that. I know someone who is currently in the late stages of lung cancer, the word is there are only a matter of weeks left. :(

I quit some years back, and it was incredibly difficult. Hopefully I made it in time...

nojazzhere and boris bubbanov like this.
  20. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I quit in 1989 after a 2 pack a day while long haul trucking. Best and hardest thing I ever did. My Dad died of lung cancer at 46. He was a smoker. It is surprising anyone would smoke today. Unfortunately my daughter smokes. Everyone I know buys their cigarettes from the Indian reserves. They are very strong. Also the Indian reserves all sell marijuana in Canada.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.