Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I use a stand, and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Back in my heavy gigging days, where we practiced or gigged almost every night of the week, I didn't need one.

Nowadays my band is "semi-retired". We play maybe 4-5 paying gigs a year, and get together to jam and drink beer and shoot the breeze once or twice a month.

We're all getting older, and have lots of other things going on. My music stand is more about cheat sheets with basic chords and arrangements, maybe some lyrics. We are a trio and I am the default band leader. I need to signal to the drummer major changes and stuff like that, and if I screw it up, the whole band screws up.

We still learn new material, but we just don't play it enough for me to commit all of it 100% to memory. I don't read my cheat sheets, I just glance down for a quick reminder. And there's a ton of tunes where we don't need anything. It's usually the new tunes that I haven't played enough yet.

For me, it's simple. It's not worth the major investment of my time for the handful of gigs we play.

To each his own.

Cheers,
    Doug

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though I don’t agree, the not caring what people think part resonates with me.
    The heck with what anybody thinks!
    The proof is in your ability to do the work.
    You do the work!
    Bravo!

Old Deaf Roadie and schmee like this.
  3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

When I did jams and the occasional gig, I almost always had a stand. Same with jams, I hate having a 'tune list' laying on the floor or taped to the instrument or whatever. I suppose if I was making my living gigging, I would learn the sets and dispense with the stand...but probably not. If nothing else, I modified a cup holder to hang from the stand.

I have always needed something to get me started on a tune, even the ones that I have down pat. Sometimes it is just the first bar, sometimes the first part. At jams I usually bring a tune list with either just the most common key or the chord changes.

I have a large tablet that can display a full sheet of paper. I use an app for music called "MusicSheets" that loads and displays .pdf files and interacts with a pair of Bluetooth pedals for page turns. I have hundreds of sheets in there (in both tab and notation). No more huge three-ring binders!

sockgtr likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Not only do I need a music stand, I need a page turner to help me keep track of the "na-na-nas" at the end of "Hey Jude".

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I use a stand in one setting...yet I admit I really do not like doing so, nor do I like the way it looks: When I play at our church.

A number of factors lead to this:

1. I work 40-50 hours a week, so don't have a ton of time to memorize.

2. This is not anyone but the leader's main gig, everyone else has another job/life the rest of the week. We rehearse a set once prior to the day we play (and sometimes we may not even rehearse).

3. The setlist is never a static thing. It changes EVERY week. The chance to even begin to memorize something just isn't there, although it does happen "by osmosis" over time and the music on the stand just becomes a back-up.

4. The music is often unlike anything else I personally play with regard to chord progressions and arrangements. Additionally, there are times when there really is no guitar in the original recording and I have to write my own parts, so it's nice to have those written down for the first few times I play that song.

5. I'd rather play the right thing than look good doing it (guess I'm trading one sort of pride for another :confused:).

But, I wish I didn't need to...man, playing a regular setlist every time that I could commit to memory would be a huge relief. Alas...

Scott

FloInPA likes this.
  6. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you need a reminder...who cares? I would rather you use a chart or iPad to jog your memory than create a train wreck on stage. I personally have an iPad mounted to my mic stand. It doesn't have music or lyrics on it, but it does serve as the control surface for my digital mixer, and I will keep it right in front of me in case I need to access it in a hurry. Make any assumptions you would like about how prepared I am for the job.

FloInPA likes this.
  7. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I don’t allow stands on stage when I’m in charge. I do allow pads or phones if it is discrete.

I have a holder for my phone that clips on my mic stand and yes, I do need reading glasses but the phone is farther than arms length from my nose so I can get by without the spectacles.

8. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'll continue to use a tablet, which is hardly noticeable. I have over a hundred songs I can do and add new ones regularly so I will continue to use a prompter because I prefer to have the lyrics be accurate but I never use chord charts. With that said, I do some songwriter shows with back up guys that are pretty damn good and are very thankful I have a chart for them

9. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

I work in jazz/swing. I give you charts, you use them on the stage. This is what I require. Even if it's only standards, I might want to play a different set of changes, so a chart is always needed, even if only to glance at to note any deviations.

I usually give out iReal chord charts with fairly minimal arrangement notes, but for those players who I know are good sight readers, I'll also often have full notation available for them. Supplied a decent chart, I can sight read changes at speed and solo over them with no difficulty, but, like most guitar players, I'm a terrible notes sight reader :(

Bulldoggio likes this.
  10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

What's the policy on cargo shorts?

11. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

At my work (I’m the boss) I know we’ve handled all the important problems when the only thing people are complaining about is silly sh**. I guess there are no important problems here right now.

JayFreddy, JimInMO and Flat6Driver like this.
  12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Albert Einstein: “never memorize something that you can look up”. I’m sure he was referring to lyrics on an iPad. What was he name of the blues band he played in? Didn’t he play fiddle?

MrClint likes this.
  13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Count Basie and Duke Ellington would agree that the "dork comments" are reprehensible.
    Frank Sinatra would take it personally...and so would Frank Zappa.
    There were plenty of guys that weren't great readers but they could play the funk out of their axe, two that come to mind are Sidney Bechet and Glenn Campbell plus all the blind musicians, they all used stands to hold the set list as well as the Chiclets, Juicy Fruit, Milky Way Bars (one of Charley Parker's lesser known addictions) and a pin which Frank Trumbauer would utilize to wake Bix Beiderbecke for his Cornet solos in The Whiteman Band....

In other words what Your saying is basically the equivalent of insinuating someone's Granny had poor personal hygiene...or losing the Crucifix in favor of a lightning bolt.

I'm actually embarrassed that this thread exists.
    Music...without something to hold it on...Ever see The Three Tenors in Rome?

Oh there's more...somewhere out there in The Ozone there's a photo of Tupac wearing a bandana with his lyrics on a music stand in a Studio...so what's next? Lose The Studio?

The more I think about this the more pissed off I get...MUSIC should still be in the education system and Athletics is what should have been consigned to the streets. Rap music itself got the biggest boost because a group of highly placed imbeciles decided "music's not needed in The Schools - the last thing we need is students who can THINK."

"HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS"....CHRIST.:lol:

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

ok gramps

2 Headed Goat and MilwMark like this.
  15. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

Exactly. I have a friend who has been a musician for years, since the early 70's. Last year he had a stroke, making it difficult sometimes to remember his own name, let alone the band's entire repertoire of music. But he's out there playing again, and I'm happy to see him doing it, even if he has to do it with (OMG) a music stand.

I think this is such a petty thing to be criticizing. I'd also be curious to know just how many of those criticizing have actually gotten up in front of an audience of people and played.

JayFreddy and GibbyTwin like this.
  16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Hey "Wisco" what's your agenda?

Make America As Dumb As You Can?

JayFreddy likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I cant say I "need" a music stand. Most the time I don't need one to play. But with over 200 songs, some don't get played in a year sometimes. Not to mention having it to hold a set list etc. Not to mention special arrangements (not just chords) . Not to mention a request you haven't done in a few years. Not to mention playing an event like a wedding where there were oddball requests from the Bride or Groom for certain songs you will never play again. It's a tool.
    It's all "meh" to me. One could definitely say the same thing about using pedals or a tuner. Hell we never had tuners prior to maybe the eighties.

18. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

This. Depends on the music. Depends on the situation...

2 Headed Goat and RollingBender like this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope just trying to help a little, and de-lame where possible

20. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

de-lame? Is that like de-blame??

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.