Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I don’t use a music stand.... but playing the SAME songs for the last 10 years is pretty dorky.

Grant Austin and MrClint like this.
  2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I was thinking the same thing but there’s no musical scores... just the lyrics (and much of the banter was scripted also). There’s some intricate instrumental melodies in there music but they didn’t need any help with that.

OK... I’ll give them this... instrumental parts are committed to muscle memory. Remainder of memory a victim of past drug use and old age.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't even own a music stand....:D

2 Headed Goat and brookdalebill like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If that's true, they should really re-think that whole "pit" thing, and get them up on a stage :p

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don’t forget the dance floor and covered smoking section/beer garden out back.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have a stand. I use it. I do not care two squats what people who are not on stage with me think unless you are the one paying me and even then, it needs to be stipulated in the contract. If you are onstage with me, well then you probably have one, too.

sockgtr and JimInMO like this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My band uses two music stands, one between myself and the girl singer, and one between her and the bass player.

With 130+ songs that we enjoy playing (and always wanting to be prepared for the inevitable requests) we simply cannot remember all the lyrics.
    If you can remember all the lyrics to that many songs, then I tip my hat to you.

We keep them just low and discrete enough that they don't block the view of our fabulous stage costumes, incredible vocal harmonies, fabulous musicianship, and tight riffs.
    But I am able to hide my dork behind them, most days.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Old Deaf Roadie, SuprHtr and JimInMO like this.
  8. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've never used music stands with a rock, blues, or country band. However, for jazz gigs, a stand is perfectly acceptable. And for our church praise band, where we draw from over a hundred songs every week, with very specific arrangements, I see nothing wrong with stands. Most of the folks I've met who really hate stands are the folks who can't read a chart. I don't hear anyone badmouthing Stan Kenton's big band, or Ellington's band, or Miles Davis's band for using stands. One of the things I'm most proud of in my musical career is that I can sit down with the book on a big band, read the bass charts on tunes I may or may not have heard before, nail the tunes, and get paid for my work. So, to the anti-stand folks...shut up!

sockgtr and JimInMO like this.
  9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This old man and his iPad. And you can see the charger! That's worse than a headstock tuner.

dbpix-bob-weir-blog480.jpg

10. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Honesty never went to see an orchestra. Is it true you can’t see them at all? What are you there to see?

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's entirely about the music, so the visual presentation is extremely subdued. Contrast that with a Pink Floyd light show, or Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler prancing around. Rock performances are almost as much about the show as the music-sometimes even more so (KISS). Alice Cooper is another example of visual presentation.

12. OldDave

OldDave TDPRI Member

An orchestra pit would be used for a Broadway play and they are not the primary focus. A full blown classical orchestra is on stage for all to see. And yes, they use stands. They're not playing a slow 12 bar.;)

13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

That doesn't mean they don't need hints here and there. Just sayin.....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

You can have my music stand on stage when you pry it from my dead, cold hand!

15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Yep.
    And on top of that, they don't know the words.
    Hey, they just pay me to sing and play. I know my lyrics.
    Just sayin'.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  16. lstdukestking

lstdukestking TDPRI Member

We use them at church. I don't like it but the worship leader, my wife, insists we use them. It's nice when she pulls out a song i've never heard of. I'm just getting back into playing after about 10 years of taking a break. Eventually I'd like to get to the point of not needing it.

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Either we're being had by the resident ogre from under a bridge, or someone has extremely limited experience as a musician.

From symphony orchestras, auditorium venues, orchestra pits, hotel lounges, studios, and dive bars, my music stand has been all over the planet.

And what's more, to rub salt in it, my music stand has a light on it!

:cool:

sockgtr likes this.
  18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

It doesn't look good. That's why Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Springsteen, etc. disguise theirs as monitors.

"Acceptable use" is usually low-style performances (farmers' markets, churches, parlors, back up bands), but I don't remember the last time I see a rock band really seem engaged while glued to their charts. I may feel differently when I'm 75 and can't learn the set list but that's still a couple of decades away.

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Teleprompters are nothing new... I think people would be surprised at how many acts use them.

In fairness, I think those in this thread that push for the "complete removal of stands" is associating the problem with players that are GLUED to the stand.

The reason I have no problem defending stands/ipads (even though I don't use them) is that I don't work with anyone that is "glued" to them... they simply have a stand/iPad for reference.. which is what the teleprompter is for the major acts. It doesn't hinder their shows. To suggest these people are not prepared couldn't be further from the truth ;). These players don't need a rehearsal to take a song to the stage... and they play it at "studio quality" the first time through.

20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I'm almost as old as Bob, and that's exactly my setup, iPad on a mic stand. Without it, I'm lost. I just can't remember the words to a lot of songs anymore.

GibbyTwin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.