Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes.

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, the made up lyrics can be embarrassing, I remember a version of the Deep Purple classic that went:
    "Smoke on the water, what's a matter with your daughter." Some of the audience noticed.:p

nojazzhere and Dr Improbable like this.
  3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Even the action figure comes with a stand lol

4. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

9B0CFACE-D432-4046-BF53-86928B80D844.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. P-Nutz

3C15ECA8-642F-41BF-8507-A4CE197FA051.jpeg

6. P-Nutz

“Playin’ in a honky-tonk cafe ... nobody’s hearin’ whatchu play ... yeeah ... they’re too busy drinkin’ anyway ...

“Just keep on smilin’ ... keep on smilin’ ... “

ndcaster and JayFreddy like this.
  7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

No reason for music stands in the ipad age, really. If learning and recalling dozens of cover tunes floats your boat, cool. I'm impressed by people who can do that. A somewhat different skill than writing and performing your own music, though. Maybe less of a need for visual aids in that case.

Either way, it seems like maybe one's playing should be the focus - if it's really good, I doubt the audience will care, or even notice a music stand or an ipad amongst all the stuff on stage.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You protestors/music stand apologists, hey, you can certainly stay lame-appearing if you want.
    I'm just trying to help you guys out here

drlucky, P-Nutz and charlie chitlin like this.
  9. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Know who was also super concerned about being lame-appearing? The illustrious Nicki Rose. So, you’re in good company, I guess... Imagine how hard it would be to take him seriously if he had something as lame-appearing as a music stand!

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Thanks, man -- too late for that, though. I'm pushing 70 & playing with 30 -year-olds. I'm always gonna be the lame-appearing one. I just tape the chord charts to my walker and nobody notices.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

True. also no one in this duo needed any stands, and I'm pretty sure neither of them would want their artistic integrity compromised by using them

claes, drlucky, Antmax and 2 others like this.
  12. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I start ad-libbing lyrics to make up for forgotten texts, it has to come quick, snatching at verbal padding to hit the first best rhyme that occures.
    Subsequent cognition of what I've just sung....needed to help construct a coherent follow-on line, often reveals unintended innuendos, screaming for an obscene punch-line................then I just break-up into giggles.....am totally unable to sing anymore.
    No matter, it goes down well enough with the audience...but can piss the rest of the band off if it happens to often.

Some of the better spontanious filth has been addopted, and has become the set lyrics.......:twisted::eek::p:twisted:.....:lol:

P-Nutz likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder if it’s only people who would have an anxiety attack seeing some dots on a staff that actually argue this?

P-Nutz, teletail and JayFreddy like this.
  14. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Until now I don't think I would've even cared to notice someone was using a music stand. I need to stay away from message boards.

Blrfl likes this.
  15. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Yup. When I was young and a full time musician, I had the time (and memory) to do that. Now at 61, with a full time job and family and life and most importantly a failing memory, I just can't keep all of the lyrics in my head. For some reason I can memorize music almost instantly, but lyrics have always been hard. If someone wants to walk out because I have a music stand I say, "Don't let the door hit you on the keister on the way out!"

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I am not a stand user... but I do not oppose stands.
    They have their place. It's not as cut and dried as "lose the stands, you look like dorks".

If the music is played well and I've been entertained... It doesn't matter to me what reminders you need to get it done! Teleprompter, iPad, Music Stand, shot of whiskey, I don't care!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    mfguitar and P-Nutz like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Oh come on, we have had threads like this before. I think the common opinion is generally as long as you place a stand discreetly out of the way somewhere, and you don't stare at it the whole time, nobody notices. For most amateurs like us, it's not something really necessary, but nice to refer to once in a while. If it makes the performance better, then use it.

oceanblue and nojazzhere like this.
  18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The A Train is no harder to memorize than Chattahoochee... and a 10 minute movement is no harder to memorize than Stairway to Heaven. You either memorize or you don't... why do they get a pass while the hillbilly or rocker gets dragged through the mud for "seemingly" looking unprofessional?

Sounds like a classic double standard to me.

In case you are not aware.... there have always been "live" prompters on the sides of these stages, and in the modern era lines are often whispered through "in ears" to actors on a stage. Those type of options are not practical for musicians... hence the tele-prompter, iPad, and music stands.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    P-Nutz and nojazzhere like this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Actually...I do almost all originals with a smattering of covers, and I am much less prone to forget the lyrics to Rambling on my Mind or Stormy Monday than one of my own tunes that may only be a few weeks or months old.

dougstrum likes this.
  20. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

And the FAB FAUX...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.