Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Look at these losers!

[​IMG]

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

They look like a bunch of dorks!

[​IMG]

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hey...some guys think it's OK to wear a dress and carry a purse...who am I to judge :p

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Let me see if I can explain this. You live your life and I will live mine. You can, well I can’t say it here, but stick it where the sun don’t shine.

5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

In my fledgling band (new this year) of guys in our 50s I'm lead guitar and memorized everything.
    Singer/rhythm guitarist and the bass player always use notes and a stand during rehearsal and are stuck on stage with them a few gigs in.
    If you start with that crutch it's hard to get off it.
    But my attitude is,:
    - I'd ther play with these guys than not
    - We're not going pro anytime soon
    - Everyone has their own priority, mine is to be on point with playing and having fun and not having to follow notes. Theirs isn't so....whatever.
    I don't like how music stands look either, but we get nothing but strong compliments because we're good and I hope someday they'll memorize the darn words

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Buzzgrowl likes this.
  6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was in Nashville last month. Walked the main drag to check out some bands. Many bands had iPads. I was surprised given the iPad hate that exists on the internet.

8barlouie, MrClint and nojazzhere like this.
  7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Only musicians use music stands. The rest are perfectly capable of memorizing their vast, complex repertoire using the 11 brain cells they were born with. :p

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in that "failing memory" group. I'm constantly rotating in "new songs to me" and can't always recall lyrics, plus I keep a set list with notations for key signatures and pedal settings. It's either that or screw up a performance.
    I made a small music/notebook stand. It's a wooden platform 9"X15", with a bracket from a photography supply that screws onto a vintage cast-iron base mic stand.....relative unobtrusive, yet effective. I, too, never have any comments (to my face) other than, "Hey, cool music stand....where'd ya get that!"......

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Greggorios and GibbyTwin like this.
  9. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I tend to agree with blowtorch. Of course, classical musicians and jazz big band cats are always gonna run music stands. That is a given. Academic styles of music are just kinda like that.

Jazz combos should do their best not to run music stands. It is understood that if you are good enough to run in a combo (outside of a jam session), you shouldn't need a Real Book or an iPad. Classical combos almost always use sheet music, though.

When I've used music stands for country/rock/blues bands, its usually because I am working with less time than is reasonable. If I have to learn 40 songs in 5 days, I'm gonna use some cheat sheets so I don't sound like an uninformed dumbass in front of a bunch of people. Although, if I can, I try to hide those cheat sheets by taping them to the top of my volume pedal or something incognito like that.

If you need help remembering lyrics, I've seen a lot of people write just the reminders they need on a notecard and tape it to the top and/or backs of their acoustic guitars. I recommend writing that in fine tipped sharpie or a really dark pen. Pencils and quite a few pens will be hard to read under stage lighting. I also think you should only write out as many cues as you think you will need. That way each gig you can write out fewer and fewer cues and eventually ween yourself off of needing them. I agree that you should have your set lists printed off in large, bold print so you can read it from the floor instead of a stand.

At the end of the day, if a music stand with a bunch of papers on it can act as a musical security blanket to someone who might otherwise perform really poorly....I guess I'd rather listen to them with the music stand! =)

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I struggle to memorize a couple dozen lyrics along with playing lead guitar. I have rarely used a stand, but if I gotta do it, I gotta do it. I would rather have a stand there than mumble / makeup lyrics.

11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

This is your brain on drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  12. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Bet they have an AFM Union contact, filed with thei AFM local

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I can't believe you folks.

What kind of banal mean spirited jerkwads do you have to be to make jokes about MUSIC STANDS!

How would you feel if you had to use a music stand?

Ya'll should seriously consider showing some more compassion and expanding your world view.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Our singer in the early 90's used to keep the words to a couple of songs he always had trouble finding the time to memorize in his back pocket. He would use a magnet to attach them to the mic stand before the tune while he spoke to the audience. This drove the drummer and bass player crazy. They hated how unprofessional it looked. One night they spotted the folded sheet of paper in his back pocket. The bass player nodded to the drummer, grabbed the paper turned around and handed it to the drummer who wadded it up and tossed it into the darkness. Turns out it was the tearful speech he had written for the organizer of the charity benefit we were playing. Friends of his.

Hilarity ensued.

15. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

In my last band the bass player always used a music stand, even on stage. I, on the other hand memorized all my lyrics. In a rockabilly band a music stand just doesn't cut it. Learn your parts or say bye bye!

drlucky and Mid Life Crisis like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I think the mean-spirited jerks who make fun of eye patches are the same ones who make fun of music stands. ;)

Harry Styron and BeatlesAreMyJam like this.
  17. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I'd rather have a stand in front of me than a front in stand of me.

18. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Is that the Brian Setzer Dorkestra? :cool:

19. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh, gosh ... here it is again ... said this before ...

... play in a 10-piece, ‘70s funk-cover band ... no one is NOT paying us to come and pack our shows and dance ... have opened for George Clinton and Parliament, and played for the POTUS and in front of 20,000+ ... some of us (horns, singers) use stands ... some don’t (me, bass & drums) ... no one cares, ‘ceptin’ guitarists on this forum ...

... and they can’t dance ...:cool:

Peace.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

This is actually my goal. I figure I’m about half way there. Just need to work on looking cool now...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.