Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I hope this photo doesn't break the TDPRI...

Long hair on old guy, a little light on top. CHECK
    Cowboy hat on New Englander CHECK
    Cargo shorts CHECK
    Crocs CHECK
    Music Stand CHECK

Asked back to play this spectacular 4th of July party every year for the last 5, and just got 2020 booked this AM, DESPITE all my TDPRI transgressions. ;0) CHECK

I gotta start working on mt 2020 outfit!

upload_2019-10-22_15-25-30.png

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

A trained concert pianist opens a 6 foot wide music score at a recital and bangs out Mozart. Folks are impressed. People respect and show admiration for the pianist’s ability to actually read music. Applause ensues.

A symphony orchestra opens the $500 per-ticket theatre show with an amazing version of Beethoven's 7th. You lose count of the music stands after you hit 100. Later you are part of a full house, standing ovation.

The following week you go to a dive bar and snub your nose at 4 buddies playing Freebird because there’s a music stand on stage. They are playing for a burger and 2 beer each.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    BeatlesAreMyJam and Fret Wilkes like this.
  3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Well, if you need a music stand for Freebird...........;)

I'm not against music stands or tablets. I am against performers seemingly playing for their iPads instead of playing for the audience. I saw one guy reading the lyrics for the chorus of Stir It Up --- every time the chorus came around. I don't think it's because he didn't know the words, I think it's because he was so used to using the iPad that he wouldn't look away (side note: six months later he rarely uses his iPad but has it there for new or lesser played songs).

I keep my music stand off to the side. One reason I haven't switch from paper to a tablet is that I can print lyrics/chords out in large font to be seen from farther away. Last I counted, I've got about 40 songs for which I don't need any help. Then there are about 30-40 more where I like having the music stand there "just in case". And maybe 10 or 20 where I couldn't do them without the the music stand. But I refuse to do a song that I would have to read it while playing. I can glimpse down and catch the next two lines then bring my eyes back up.

I've been working with two vocalists who had come from choir backgrounds. I keep making it a point for them to not rely on their lyrics. I mentioned to one to pick up the sheet of paper and hold it out instead of looking down at her book. At least then she can face the audience - that actually worked pretty well and she ended up needing the lyrics less than she thought; I think she was more comfortable because they were right there instead of having to look down at the crutch/music stand.

When I've been in bands where all I mostly did was play guitar with a few backups and a charity lead on one or two songs, I never even thought of having a music stand. I might have some quick chords written out with a sharpie -- several songs per page -- to look at before a song was started.

I think the comparison between pop music (and that might be rock, country, go go, hip hop, blues, folk, whatever) to classical is a bit of apples to oranges. For one, the music an orchestra is playing is going to be a bit more complicated than some cowboy chords or even more difficult genres. Secondly, an orchestra musician has one and only one job -- play it perfectly. For any pop genre, the performance is more than just the music - it includes connecting with audiences on an eye-to-eye basis, dancing, moving, etc. You can't do that as well while reading from a waist high music stand.

keithb7 and RollingBender like this.
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

You forgot to clip a tuner onto the headstock.
    Otherwise, all boxes are ticked.

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  5. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

You’re making the incorrect assumption that everyone absorbs information just like you do. This has been mentioned by numerous people so who’s not learning here......?

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

14 pages?!
    Time to stop feeding the troll.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And yet, here you are. :p

stormsedge likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And another thing .........

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Band people are dorks. They don't care that you think that.

11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was on my way back from a NGD purchase and stopped in for some coffee on the way home. Turns out they had a couple guys playing. If I wasn't in a rush to get home I'd have tried to work my way in for a tune or two on my new guitar. These guys sounded good...no stands but those tuners were on as I could see the readout changing. For shame!

Of course they had a paying gig and I didn't!

Good players they were!

IMG_20191116_132047442_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

12. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Nice Natural Finish Strat bails him out of TDP JAIL for a few minutes...

Fret Wilkes likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.