Lose the music stands

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2019.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Wouldn’t this make them MORE likely to need stands?

Tomm Williams likes this.
  2. briany

briany Tele-Meister

I've only ever seen this with singers and lyrics. I've never seen someone use a music stand for notation. I'm sure it happens, and quite widely, but it's only my observation - lyrics seem to be harder to remember.

So, not really being a singer, I can't criticise singers for using music stands and lyrics. Maybe if I tried some real singing, I'd need a music stand, as well.

That said, I do hate the way it looks and feels. I played with a couple of singers who used these things, and they make 'calling an audible', as the Americans might say, a complete pain in the proverbial. They'd have their folder organised to follow the setlist, meaning that if the situation calls for something else in the repertoire, they have to start flicking through the folder. OK, but then they might even turn around and say, "Looks like I left those lyrics at home..."

Another problem is that if you're playing in a small bar, playing in a corner, and there's any kind of crowd up dancing (or even just two drunk people), these music stands are just begging to be knocked over when someone backs their arse into it. And they do, because top-heavy music stands, and drunk revellers' arses have a sort of moth-flame thing going on. One singer I played with, there was a good 70 percent chance his music stand was getting knocked over at least once during a given gig. This wasn't helped by the fact that he had the most rickety music stand in existence. I'm used to music stands being made from that reasonably robust aluminium/metal piping painted black. This guy's thing looked like it was made out of Meccano. 20 year old Meccano at that.

Which reminds me that his music stand took a particularly bad tumble one night and was too smashed up to remain in action. Some say I was seen discreetly slipping a tenner to the drunk reveller in question. Those accusations may or may not be true.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree with the OP, a lead singer reading off a music stand,or an ipod is a dork. A hired session guy, orchestra player, senile rock star, even back-up singer, it's fine, but if you are too lazy to learn the lyrics, stay home, or find a karaoke bar, don't waste our time.

4. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Nirvana is one of the few bands ever who could really get away with this, because they ACTUALLY didn't care. As opposed to all the bands following them who cared so desperately that everyone knew they didn't care. No, these guys really REALLY didn't care.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How about a lamp and a table then?

[​IMG]

BeatlesAreMyJam and JayFreddy like this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Only if they could actually read.

Hey ho... Let's go.

Mah bah bup-bah Mah bah bup-bah

sockgtr and BeatlesAreMyJam like this.
  7. BeatlesAreMyJam

Thaaaaaats a bingo!

@larryelder

8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Let us know when you record one of the greatest live albums in rock history.

FloInPA and JayFreddy like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Live albums pretty much suck.
    Everyone knows that :D

10. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Given that this thread has reached 10 pages, and given that I play left handed guitars with a left handed slant, I have decided to take a stand on this issue of stands.

I will no longer be swayed by any stand, opinion, ridicule, scorn or conjecture against my stand, which incidentally is to stand in favour of using musical stands.

In taking this stand I understand that some may hold opposing opinions, indeed some may take a stand against stands.

I will withstand any opposing polemic, and stand united within myself to forever uphold my position (stance).

Well, I think that about covers it.

Let's hope I am understood.

11. BeatlesAreMyJam

Hey if they were good enough for DUKE ELLINGTONS BAND for five decades, I guess music stands get a pass from me...

ArcticWhite likes this.
  12. David Barnett

[​IMG]

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Decent album if it wasn't for all the fake applause mixed in.

14. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Sometimes, but in an ensemble you have to at least know the changes before you can comp. Once you approach maybe a dozen charts, you have no hope at memorizing that many changes.

FloInPA likes this.
  15. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to play at a local jam with a guy who was just about married to his music stand...it was like his security blanket...the jam host had a "no music stand" rule...if anything they would add to the hubbub when people got up or sat down....and the stage wasn't all that big....and it was generally three songs and done....

When we first attended, he told the host that if he couldn't use his music stand we would not play...which went over real well...there were lots of other players on the list...and I was miffed at the "we" would not play part....

The guy ultimately relented and he played without his beloved music stand....and I resisted the urge to throw it in the trash when he wasn't looking...

Blue Bill likes this.
  16. David Barnett

There was a bass player in Memphis, he was in Alex Chilton's live band for some years, who used a music stand as a stage prop or affectation, there wasn't anything on it. It worked for him, because it was a gag.

17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

OK I didn't go looking for this for this thread, but this is a pretty egregious example. If you wanna read the words off the music stand, maybe don't wear so much eye makeup so it's not as obvious.

RodeoTex and BeatlesAreMyJam like this.
  18. BeatlesAreMyJam

:—))))))))))

19. BeatlesAreMyJam

WHY YOU WANNA DIS ME!!!

:D:D:D

20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

HA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.