1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Los Lobos "Evangeline" intro- where do you play it?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TelZilla, Apr 12, 2021.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Los Lobos, "Evangeline", off their first record. It's 1-4-5 (ish) in D.

Where do you play the intro lick? Thne rest all kinda flows from there. I've sort of come to two different spots:
    1. The major pent based on the d barre chord built off of the 5th fret A string root (mostly between 7th and 9th fret
    2. based on the cowboy chord D

I believe I managed to attach some vids (at about 60% tempo- hey I'm just figuring it out. Kinda makes it sound like T Bone Walker)
    7th-9th fret (with inadvertent double-stop)

Cowboy Chord

They both feel a bit awkward to me under the fingees, especially the hammer on to the F#/Gb.

Is there a more economical way to play it?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Digital Larry and nojazzhere like this.
  2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Looks like option 1:

billy logan and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

MANY new, different licks feel awkward.....until you've played them a bunch.
    I can remember first learning Every Breath You Take, and I probably played it a hundred times before it became comfortable. (and another hundred times before being able to sing and play the "licks" at the same time)

TelZilla, BB, MickM and 1 other person like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Those first couple records are like an encyclopedia of guitar fundamentals. For that genre, anyway.

TelZilla and Bob M like this.
  5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Hah! Funny you mention this one. I remember trying to learn the riff many years ago, and after a few tries I just thought "Nope, not worth it". And I left it at that. :-D

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

You can tell Andy Summers is a jazzer at heart. Really great parts.

nojazzhere and BB like this.
  7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

True. I remember seeing them at The Vogue in Indianapolis in the 90's (many more times since), and, holy crap, they can play. I mean the songs are the thing, and David Hidalgo has a great voice, but until you see them live, you don't realize how 3 guys (Louie Perez, Cesar, and David) can all melt your face.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

This is really true, with the exception of many Keith Richards licks. I can remember learning Brown Sugar when I was 15 or whatever in standard tuning, and It was a liuttle weird and never sounded right.

Then about 3 years later somebody showed me Open G (this was way pre internet, thigs travelled by word of mouth), and I was like, wait, that sounds perfect, and its SO MUCH EASIER.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.