1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Los Lobos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TelZilla, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

On the “Kiko” tip - if you like that album and you aren’t aware of it, you should check out Louie and David’s side band with Mitchell Froom and Tchad Blake , Latin Playboys.

First record especially is super good and I was lucky enough to see the tour when it came through town. They also had Lisa Germano on fiddle and keys when they played live.

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Best American Band for well over thirty years.

wacolo likes this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Always a stunner of a live show. So much talent, and I love when they break out the trad instruments and do old Mexican tunes. Masterful musicians.

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

An all-time fave. I know I’ve told the story before, but I have a milk crate that was used to take beverages on stage for them at a festival. It is my music milk crate, and is not permitted to be used for non-musical purposes.

richiek65 likes this.
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

We have a house music rule, when the songs are shuffling and a great tune comes on, and you don’t recognize the band right away, it’s Los Lobos.

Despres likes this.
  6. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I am a big fan - I've seen them a number of times, and almost every time was spontaneous - most recently 3-4 years ago I was driving through Stowe, VT and a bar had a sign that said they were playing that night. I opted to spend the night - there couldn't have been more than 50 or 60 people in this barn-like bar. I couldn't believe they were playing a venue that small or that I happened to be in town that day!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Los Lobos are the greatest, period.

It's also worth noting that they put lie to the notion that growing older in music means becoming stale or boring or irrelevant. Kiko is widely held as their greatest album, and they'd already been around for 20 years at that point. And they still out out great music today.

They put out a Christmas album last year. I don't normally care for Christmas music as such, and even that one was great.

8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Outstanding individual musicians ...

[​IMG]

y una banda increíble.

richiek65 and BorderRadio like this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

been seeing those guys since I ran a sound business in Portland in the 80s -- they were the opening act for punk shows and blues shows, nobody knew what to do with them. Steve Berlin was still with the Blasters, another killer band out of LA.

The greatest show of theirs I saw was at the Pima County fair in Tucson. They played a killer rock set but when the accordions & banjo sexto came out & they launched into Volver, Volver, the crowd went crazy. Just a fun night.

djh22 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  10. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Love 'em, always have. If you ever needed proof that certain people were born to do music, Los Lobos is that proof. What they do is what they are. I saw them recently - last September I think - at a little place on Cape Cod, and they were SO good. We sat in the first row right in front of Cesar, who does most of the talking on stage and seems to be their MC. Funny guy, great player, and he engaged with us with nods and smiles all night. I'll be going to every show I possibly can from now on.
    Peace, ese.

wacolo and djh22 like this.
  11. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

I missed them, when they came to the bay area to play Mountain Winery last year. Would have been a killer show since Los Lonely Boys were on the same bill.

12. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

I saw an interview where the lead singer was asked what it was that made them different from other popular bands.
    He answered, "We're fat":lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.