Loretta Lynn - RIP

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is weird, but I was just thinking about her yesterday, and I was going to look up how old she was, but I got distracted.

Rest In Peace Miss Loretta!

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
one of the greatest American song writers.

there is a cliche about writing, that you should write about the things you know best. Lorreta Lynn understood this and practiced it and showed how to write songs about very basic things, imo.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Saw her once. At the Great Stephenson County Fair. About 1973. The whole show. A guy buy the name of Kenny Star (Blind Man in the Bleachers) opened for her. I probably even checked them in at the gate. If I recall correctly, they opened up the cargo compartments of the bus and pulled Shure VocalMaster gear out of it until they had enough.

She was a good’n.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
A lovely and huge influence in Country Music that will be heard in the voices of every young woman who sings a Country Song.

Most importantly, she led a lot of young girls right to the "Alter of the Beauty of Country Music."

May she Rest In Peace and be Remembered Forever.

imo.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Truly awesome lifes work, the deep values and experience that Country Music used to embody.
Aint never gonna have another like Loretta.
Hell I dont even play Country but her artistry guided my beginnings, just couldnt avoid that freight train as a guitar player coming up in 20th C America. Not near as I could tell...

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
We were rock n' roll high school kids. Had a band and played dances. We were also in a church youth group. The leader of this youth group was a country music fan and he was always going on about how country music was better than all this rock n' roll stuff. So one day he took some of us to a concert, which turned out to be Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, Waylon Jennings, and Loretta Lynn. We were not convinced that what we were hearing was "better" than the rock stuff, but our ears were opened. They were all amazing. We were surprised to see that Waylon had a wah-wah pedal. The Buckaroos were funny, and Loretta was sublime.

When we left, we were walking by the stage entrance just as Waylon came out. A bunch of paparazzi set off flash bulbs in his face and he said "Goddxxmn!" My friend said, in a small voice, "Waylon Jennings said Goddxxamn!" He heard him and said "You bet I did!" And turned toward us. We ran. We were young. If we had been a tad bit older, we would have asked him about the wah.

dave1z

TDPRI Member
Sad day. Goodbye Loretta. Grew up listening to your songs. Thank you for the fond memories. You will be missed.