Loopers

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bresleviolin, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Bresleviolin

Bresleviolin NEW MEMBER!

I'm not sure this Is the right place but I am a violinist. I play with distortion and many more effects. I am thinking to get into looping. I am looking at the rc 300 and the rc 505. I want the 505 but can it be used on the floor? I don't need all the effects of the 300. I have what to do with the 5 tracks on the 505.

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

505 is designed to be desktop.

If you want a floor unit with many tracks and control, check the EHX 95000:

Other classic floor loopers that you see used professionally are the Pigtronix Infinity, Boss RC300 and the classic: Boomerang. Not sure what you’re after.

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've had a Digitech Jamman (which I gave to a friend) and now have the Jamman Stereo with delay. It's great for capturing spur of the moment ideas. I rarely go much beyond doing that but it's not the fault of the equipment. Recently I was looking at an RC-202 (desktop) but thinking of controlling it with an FCB-1010 MIDI footpedal. Part of my creative goal is to combine guitar/bass looping with my modular synth setup. I've already done it where the synth is doing something, and I capture a guitar riff or noise into the looper. It's not synchronized to anything else but since it's all pretty weird to begin with, it's interesting to hear what evolves over time. I'd like to be able to synchronize things as well, which I think the RC-202 can do via MIDI, but then I'd need to get EVERYTHING sync'ed through MIDI and for some reason I can't bring myself to do that.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

No love for the TC Electronics Ditto series? I don't play the violin though and I use it just to try out ideas. I had the Ditto X2 and I now upgraded to the X4.

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Boomerang.

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been continuing my research. For awhile I thought I'd just stick with the Jamman, but as someone else noted, you cannot set the tempo any way other than footswitch tapping, so if you try to make 2 loops be 2 parts of a song, you're at the mercy of your ability to tap a consistent tempo. I found it impossible and actually pretty annoying to deal with.

I looked at the E-H 95000 and its loops are mono with pan controls rather than stereo. I think I'd like to record tracks with stereo effects from time to time so that was kind of a deal breaker.

Back to looking at the Boss RC-505, it can take a 2-button footswitch that lets you do record/overdub/play with one and undo/clear with the other. You just have to do a little menu diving to change which track you're working with. You can also use it with the FCB-1010 over MIDI, with each pair of switches (1-6, 2-7, etc.) doing those functions for tracks 1-5 which seems quite handy. I just need to look a bit deeper at the rhythm options because I sometimes do stuff in 5/4 or 6/8 or 9/8 and don't want to be limited there.

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I just got the Joyo 20 mins of loop time...and a cool countdown display...60 bucks off reverb..will be here tomorrow.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Why not use a couple of the newer Jamman with jamsync? You can also get a SyncMan module if you want to set those to external clock.

Digital Larry likes this.
  9. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Digitech Trio Plus!

10. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

How does it work out as a looper only, good? Can you sequence 5 different looped parts.

11. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

You can have three different parts and move between them for a song. It’s good for making quick demos with accompanying bass and drums or practice when alone. It doesn’t have high cap memory for storing loads of different songs if that is what you need.

12. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Was just curious as to how the looper worked without the drums and bass, assuming from your post that you have used it that way. Just for home playing enjoyment. I bought a couple of songbooks with arrangements for looping pedals, I am new to looping. Though the arrangements are such that even the most basic looping pedal will do.
    Noticed in the Trio + manual that it read 5 parts could be sequenced and wondered if you could do the same just using the looper without drum and bass. Thanks for your reply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.