Loopers - with or without storage?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by VerySlowHand, Jan 28, 2020.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

For those non-performing guitar players that have loopers with storage, I'm wondering, do you actually use the storage?

Reason I ask is that I've had a BOSS RC3 and a Ditto X2 in my previous incarnations and while I can see the benefits of the quantize and storage options on the RC3, I soon found my timing was good enough to do without the former on the X2 and I didn't miss the storage. I also preferred the two buttons of the Ditto to the spongy-feeling pad of the RC3.

It's been a couple of years since I sold the Ditto (been using the looper in a Zoom G3n/G5n), but I'm back into putting together a pedalboard.

I didn't want to just ask 'which do you prefer'. More interested in whether or not you guys use storage or not. It's only a practice/fun tool for me, so I figure I'd probably bin my loops if I had the RC3 anyway.

What do other home players do?

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I used the storage on my Digitech Jamman all the time. Getting the WAV files to the PC was a bit wonky due to the provided software. I did import a few loops into the DAW. More importantly being able to store stuff allows me to get ideas down and then come back to them later. If I don't like them, just erase and away you go. Sometimes it would be the thread of a new song.

I'm just recording directly into Ableton Live now, simplifies everything.

3. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I have the EHX 45000. It is basically a four track recorder. It can store, I think, 16gb of loops. I’m don’t play shows with it but it is pretty useful for sketching out song ideas.

Ducerro likes this.
  4. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fwiw, got a ditto a few years ago. Liked it but felt I really needed the storage so sold and got a jamman xt. Did like the jamman but found that I only used maybe five of the slots with one to six minute clips.

Sold it and now back with ditto. Perfect for my wants/needs. Ymmv, of course.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I use the storage. Couldn't do without it. It allows me to revisit, save for later when frustration sets in etc.

pondcaster likes this.
  6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I have a Boss rc3, so I store some loops, and then I forget they are in there and in the end it’s useless to me. ;)

7. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

I store backing tracks and loops. I keep track of the memory locations with an Excel web app spreadsheet. Easy to access on an iPad, which I usually have out to follow tab.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A looper is a transient tool, like jamming with your buddy but so much easier than coordinating schedules.
    I decided to not make it too complicated and got a Ditto Mini clone for $30.
    If I need to save something for later, a cool riff I invented ... then I record with my phone.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  9. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I like to store bass, keyboard and rhythm tracks on my RC-300 Loop Station to practice over at later dates. I would never use it playing live because I don't like the way it effects my guitar tone but for practicing in my studio it's excellent. It has quite a bit of storage and does so for three stereo tracks. I've got many song backing tracks stored on it.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I enjoyed that Bruce Willis movie.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

WITHOUT storage...

I use the TC Electronic Looper pedal, because it IS a great practice tool. :)

The idea of a metronome, as demonstrated in the video, sounds like a good idea, too. ;)

I also use Elevated Jam Tracks and Tom Bailey Backing Tracks, thru my Fishman LoudBox Mini BT amp, for practicing improv guitar solos. Great fun!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  12. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought an RC3 today, but who knows, maybe next week I'll buy a Ditto as well - they both hold their value pretty well, so I might just take a few weeks to see which one I prefer.

13. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Have a simple ditto and a JamMan xt is in the mail. Plan is to continue to use the ditto to capture ideas and some initial working first with the ditto and then store things in the JamMan xt to recall and work on later. I read a tip is to store things on your SD card instead of the internal memory and then back up the SD card on a laptop so you don't loose things.

14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I am fairly (not 100%) sure you can backup the internal memory in the same way as the microSD on the Jamman XT. That said, and since SD cards are only $3 now, I like to use the SD cards for organization...e.g. country band songs on one card, pop/rock band songs on another, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.