Loopers how to use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Craig Williams, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams TDPRI Member

Just ordered a basic looper pedal. Don't know much about them. I do a bit of solo work and what I would really like to do is play a bar (or 4 bars), record it and loop it so I can play a lead break over the 4 bar loop. I assume this is what they do? Only problem I have is that I play to a drum machine backing and was wondering when the loop repeats if it will be in synch with the electronic backing drums? ANyone doing a similar thing or am I off the mark here?

2. Cgrove

Cgrove TDPRI Member

It can be tricky to get the hang of but it should work if you catch it right. Depending on how your chain is set up you can maybe run the drum machine through the looper and the it’s all synced.

one good tip I got is to start and stop the loop on the 2 beat instead of the 1. Generally just easier to hit it right, though it’s harder to switch in and out seamlessly that way

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1 on trying the drum machine through the looper. You could also just practice and get better with your timing, which can never hurt ;)

4. Craig Williams

I thought of putting the guitar and drum machine through the looper but A) Id probably need a mixer or something to blend the two inputs and B) if my timing was off the recorded drum machine beat against the looped beat may be out of synch and awful :(

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Just start using it.
    you know, all roads lead to Rome .....or Norway, or Nowhere.
    but once you've trodden all the paths you'll have a feel what works best for you.

6. SixStringSlinger

Fair enough, but if your timing is off then using a looper is going to go terribly no matter the details of your setup. That's just something you'll have to work on, and by all accounts playing with a looper will help you get there.

Maybe you should try using the looper on its own, first. Get used to its little timing quirks, exactly when you should step on and off it, things like that. Once you have the looper down, you can work on incorporating the drum machine and any other elements, and experiment with just how you incorporate them.

7. Craig Williams

I just reallised I use drums from my Boss BR600 digital recorder. I could very easilly plug my guitar into the Boss and have one output into the looper. Gahhhhh, everything was easier in the old days I got so much gear now its a chore to set up

8. Craig Williams

Yes of course will take practise but in theory will it work like this? Are there solo guys using them like this?

9. SixStringSlinger

In the way you initially described? I'm sure there are. Plenty of people use loopers and plenty of people use drum machines. No reason why there wouldn't be some overlap. It's not like the looper and drum machine know about each other.

I had a friend in high school who did something like this for a talent show. He set up a beat, laid down a bass line with a bass strapped behind his back which he looped, then switched the cable into a guitar strapped to his front and laid down a riff there, and so on, back and forth.

In his case the looper and drum machine were part of the same multi-effects rig which maybe simplified things a bit, but he still had to be on point with his timing. I think that's the main concern no matter how you do this.

Alamo likes this.
  10. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Takes a bit of practice. You'll get the hang of it.

LOSTVENTURE likes this.
  11. Craig Williams

I live in Thailand and there is a guy does just that on you tube. It's brilliant. Does it exactly the way you say with keys, bass, guitar everything

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My drum machine wont work through the looper for some reason. I should try again. But jamming with the looperlike lead playing is great. Nothing beats having to stay in cadence when rehearsing. The trickiest part with loopers is EXACTLY when to push "record". Different songs have different spots. Some not so obvious! You'll get it. Often there is sa key word in the verse to start on. Also often not the first word.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  13. SixStringSlinger

Yes, this is what I was referring to.It'll be different from looper to looper and from song/part to song/part.

I imagine there are also instances where you want to "record" some silence before, for the sake of timing.

14. SixStringSlinger

If he plays in a church and goes by "Skip", tell him I said hello :lol:

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I got into looping by using a drum machine. I bought the Jamman Stereo and run the drums and bassline through a bass amp and then run my guitar loop into a guitar amp. What cool.

The thing to remember is that it may look like an effects pedal, but it is a tool that needs dedicated practice to be good with it.

16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Yes, it should work like that. Presumably you are talking about looping a verse or chorus during the actual performance, and then letting that run and soloing over it, and switching it off for the next verse / chorus? There are a lot of videos on youtube about loopers, & some no doubt will show how to do this.

I do something like this, but with a drummer, not a machine. I try this but still often (okay, mostly) mess it up. That's okay for now, as we're only rehearsing / writing songs at the moment, just to see where it leads basically. I find it quite hard to 'get out' of the loop. Going in is fine, I'm playing, I start the looper on the one of a verse or whatever, record, end it on the one of the break with a single tap and then hit my boost pedal (or the Rat) to get a lift over the loop, coming in on the second or so in the bar. Works fine. It's double tapping to stop the loop and turning the boost off to come back on the one that throws me.

Theoretically I could solve this by using my volume knob rather than a boost, but the actual situation is usually worse, as most rhythm parts, but not solos, also have other things going on, like chorus/vibe, or tremolo, or whatever. I'm currently trying to figure out if a programmable switcher unit would help me out with this.

As far as learning to use the looper, one good bit of advice I found, is to scratch / skank chords as a base rhythm track on the first layer of your loops, and then lay stuff over that, as it acts like a beat keeper / metronome for your subsequent loop layers. I found doing this useful for getting to grips with the timing of foot switching on my looper. Once you get the hang of it, you can dispense with doing that. Or not, as it can sound cool. I did find this video, where the presenter does it at the start of his loop. He's actually showing how to use a looper with an octave pedal to lay down a bass loop, but the first minute or so shows what can be done with a looper. I think it was this same guy I watched for the skank chord idea, but can't find that video now.

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Timing is essential with any looper. Expect to start over a few times, but once you get that part down, you're ready to go. Be sure that you have the directions down, they can actually be pretty helpful.

aging_rocker likes this.
  18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Set the looper and the drum machine to the same tempo (e.g. 120 BPM). Connect the drum machine to the looper and record however many bars you want...make sure you have quantization (on the looper) turned on. Then disconnect the drum machine, plug your guitar into the looper, and record your guitar track(s).

19. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Always start and stop the loop recording on the one beat and all will be right in your world.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.