1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looper

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek49, Aug 28, 2020.

1. jdolecek49

jdolecek49 TDPRI Member

I'm looking at looper's and I have across the couple that actually have drum patterns included with the pedal... Do any of you guys have experience with these? I'm curious on how horrible the drums with sound going through my amplifier so I'm looking for hands-on experience if you guys have heard any of these? I would love to have some drums but I don't know I don't want to pay $300 for horrible sounds if I have to but if they sound decent I don't mind so what is your experience?

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

In my experience, drums don't sound good through my amp.

lupowitz likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I dont know about the particular one you are asking about. Drum machines sound fantastic through a PA system. Lesser so through a guitar amp, but acceptable enough for jamming with a loop. I would definitely want a separate volume control for the percussion.

4. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I had a Boss Rc-2 that I got rid off for the very reason. The Drum machine. It sounded like crap through both of my Tech21 amps, no matter what I tried. And got tired of the loop thing pretty quickly, although it has its place in a rudimental practice regime, and there are people who make an art out of it.
    If I have something liket that in mind -ie creating and playing over loops- I connect my amp to my Zoom R8 that has built in drum loops played by humans on a real kit , and use those. It is a bit tedious process, and I am looking into buying something in a pedal format for easier, heat of the moment events, but only considering something as easy as the TCE Ditto. or a Flashback 2 or some other digital delay with a built-in looper function.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

When i was doing that, I split the signal coming out of my looper routing the drums to a small PA

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A guitar amp will almost always make the drums sound boxy. They are actually really good for practicing but to sound good they need to go to the desk and you can use an amp sim for the guitar if serious and looking to gig.

The tempo/drum features adjust the loops to the beat which is a nice feature and my Boss RC3 lets me load in other WAV backing tracks like a USB stick, so you can eq them for a guitar amp. The rhythm also has its own volume control.

The Boss also has a bunch of ‘hidden’ backing tracks covering a variety of styles in the final 10 memory slots.

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I create drum loops with BIAB. THESE ARE ACTUAL SAMPLED DRUMS. Then i load them into my jamman with their editing software. With an SD card i have many hours of loop time. I made about 10 different styles in different tempos. Sounds great. I also use a 35$ Donner looper so i can loop a rhythm into the jamman thats playing the drum loop...
    Or you can just add a loop on top of the drums...but i would save that to a differEnt patch So as not to Lose the drum only loop. Its actually a performable situation. Jamman beats any small pedal looper ive ever had.

8. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

I have a looper and use it all the time. But I never get into the drum tracks. I use it to lay down a quick rhythm that allows me to play leads over. If I get into needing drum tracks, I just use my DAW.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Digitech Trio+. End of discussion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.