1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looper Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mexidev, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mexidev

mexidev TDPRI Member

An looking at picking up a loop peddle and I need some help. I was looking at the Boss loop station but what else is there?

Thanks for the help!

2. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Used Boss RC-20XL is the best bang for the buck IMO

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Digitech jamman is decent.

M

4. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I've got the Boss RC20 (model before the 20XL) and the Line 6 JM4. They are both fine and each also come with certain annoying things...stuff like you have to hold two buttons down for three seconds then release one of the buttons while doing some other thing. Anyway, I would look at both of these and throw the Digitech Jamman in the mix too and just buy whichever one you come across a good used deal on. I got each of mine used for $100 and that was a couple years ago.

I'm assuming here that you are not looking for a performance type of looper but rather something for practice, fun, etc.

5. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Actually, most convenient one was in Line6 M-9. No double function buttons and very simple to use. However, not a looper per se.
    Now I am using Digitacj Jamman stereo.
    Pros:
    -Stereo
    -Metronome with tap tempo.
    -Headphone output. Most valuable for me. With sansamp it's becomes a great silent practice tool.
    -Slot for SD cards

Cons:
    -Not very good interface. It's not starter model, but still can do only basic functions with it. It has 4 switches, but you still should hold switch to undo, use small button for reverse so as store loop. I just can not understand, why the did loop up and down buttons (without any addition functions), when you can not store loop without bending down and messing with that tiny plastic knob. And also, you have separate undo only with optional foot-switch. Very inconvenient.
    -When you tap tempo before recording loop, it will do countdown before recording. Nice feature, but I wish it would be switchable.

6. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

7. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

I have a Boss RC 50 and a Boomerang. I would say the Boomerang is the easiest to use on the fly. If cash is an issue, get a used RC of your choice. It's a great way to learn and have fun.

8. mexidev

mexidev TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a RC20XL for $50 on CL.

9. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Wow, that's a great deal! Be sure to look through the manual online before you use it!

When I got mine, I didn't figure I needed the manual. Then I spent the next 20 minutes trying to delete the loops recorded by the previous owner. And that was no fun!:lol:

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The Boomerang was the best I have ever used. It was the most functional, but was too big for live use where stage space is an issue. I use the looper in an Eventide Pitchfactor and it is plenty fine.

11. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Score! That sounds like a great deal. I recently used the "one shot" setting on my RC-20 at a cover band gig. The night before the gig I recorded some crickets chirping (from some nature sound effect website) via the line input. I kicked it on at the end of each chorus in the Tommy James song I Think We're Alone Now. LOL...it was pretty fun.

12. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I'd say go with the used RC20XL or something of equal or better quality/feature set. I started with an RC-2 and very quickly outgrew it. I personally stayed away from the Jamman line because of the output issues, if you try and increase your volume for soloing over your loop it cuts the loop volume, do it too much and you loose the loops all together. I've never messed with a Boomerang, but I wanted something that could store loops for an entire show, back them up/edit on a PC, stereo, etc...I eventually traded in the RC-2 and upgraded to an RC-30 recently and absolutely love it, very user friendly and capable.

13. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

I think you'll be happy. I have an RC-2, and it's all the looper I'll ever need.

14. LXARudy

LXARudy Tele-Meister

Minus the bear just hooks up like 4 line 6 dl-4s and their looping sounds amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.