1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looper recommendations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stxrus, Sep 24, 2020.

1. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Boss RC-3 is the best in terms of what it does for the size.

2. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

@stxrus curious what about your Jamman is on its last leg?

I like my Stereo Jamman for making “full band” loops by sending drum, bass, and keys to a bass amp and guitar loops to the tube amp.

3. OneWatt

OneWatt TDPRI Member

+1 for the Trio+ (see what I did there?) Yes, there's a learning curve. But it is WELL worth it in terms of having not just as looper but a drummer/bass player coming along for the ride. Outstanding tool for learning just about anything that piques your interest.

For a much cheaper and simpler alternative, I'm getting surprisingly good looper/rhythm use out of my recent purchase of a Zoom G1 Four ... which is a surprisingly inexpensive multi-FX box that can run on rechargeable batteries. In fact,s it's cheaper than most decent looper-only pedals.

Yes, the looper time in the Zoom G1 Four is limited to 30 seconds - which I thought might be a show-stopper (I didn't buy it for the looper, but just for lightweight portable headphone practice). But frankly, I'm finding the sync feature between the internal rhythm drums + looper feature is a very handy practice tool. For most purposes, 30 seconds isn't a major constraint (e.g., ii V I, or the head of a jazz standard, 16 measures of blues, etc.). And of course, for just modal playing/scales, 30 seconds is plenty.

Food for thought.

4. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

Same here. I use the Ditto to lay down the basic structure of a song using my guitar and a Beat Buddy pedal. Then I just play along and practice licks and solos. The Ditto has the capability to add more layers to the loop but I don't go there out of simplicity. The downside of the Ditto is that it does not store your loop for playback at a later time.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. DirtyHippie1

DirtyHippie1 TDPRI Member

I have a JamMan that I bought to pair with an SDrum which I used for a long time. Worked fine for a while, the only thing I didn’t like about it was switching parts on the drum pedal and the looper required way too much tap dancing at the same time.

I have a BeatBuddy now that I’ve been using instead of the SDrum, so I patiently waited to find the Singular Sound Aeros looper used on Reverb. Just got it last week and haven’t been able to fully delve into it, but so far it’s really cool all of the features it offers, and the drums and loops change together much easier. With the touch screen on it, it almost feels like using a DAW in a box. It’s not cheap even used, but if you want one with midi sync to drum beats this seems to be the way to go.

I’ve also used a Line 6 DL4 for simple looping, it always worked great for that so that’s an option too. Never used a Ditto but they look nice on some videos I’ve watched.

Treehouse likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It’s developing a latency issue and sometimes it won’t power up. The last time I pulled it out of the box it wouldn’t power up for a good 20 minutes and the came on and went back off.
    I decided it’ll be better to get a next one than mess with the old JamMan

Treehouse likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve decided that the TC Ditto+ is my next looper. Tomorrow I’ll order one. I’ll put up a report/critique of the Ditto+ after I use it a bit

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

I've just bought a BOSS RC-10R and it's fantastic. Easy to use as simple looper but also pretty easy to use with the drum/rhythm patterns with that useful LED timer going round. I think Boss have struck the right balance between simplicity and additional features.
    Some reviews of this last year highlighted a few problems but this have been sorted by the latest firmware ( easy to install if it wasnt on it already) and I've not had any issues but am really having fun with it. My top pedal.

9. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest TDPRI Member

Boss RC-3 is my current favorite.

10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to go against the grain. I had THREE ditto loopers and none of them worked reliably. I sent the first one back then wound up buying two so I'd always have one that functioned. And yes, I read the instructions, called Sweetwater to see if I was missing something, checked out Youtube videos, and followed everything to a T.

11. DonaldRobidoux

DonaldRobidoux TDPRI Member

Also liking the looper in my G1 Four (what a nice unit for the price), just wish it was true bypass.

12. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'll recommend the Ditto as well. I've used the Boss RC-1 and the first generation digitech jamman a while back. The Jamman was the best, but I prefer the Ditto for it's simplicity since I only use the looper for practice.

Thanks for sharing in on the new one, looks like it's not being released for another month. The Ditto+'s "extend loop" feature is interesting to me. I'm curious, is there another pedal on the market that already offers that functionality?

13. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

i am eyeing one at the moment after initially needing just a looper. For a little more you get a lot more..

14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

A lot of people find the JamMan too complicated. And in all fairness it does have two knobs, and the Ditto only has one. The additional knob on the JamMan, which is labeled "RHYTHM LEVEL", just controls the volume of the click track (i.e. rhythm level). So if you turn it one way the volume of the click increases; turn it the other way and the volume of the click decreases. Once you get that figured out, it's really not that hard to use.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Digital Larry likes this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know, Cheap Thrills; that said, I love the Ditto's rep, small footprint and loaded feature set.

It's a winner in my book...

16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a loop feature to use occasionally then the Boss DD-7 Delay pedal has a loop feature. So double duty pedal for the win. It's limited in storage time and other things, but in a pinch it will let you rehearse a phrase or two. And its a really nice delay pedal.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a couple Digitech Jammans but got rid of them.
    Now I have a Pigtronix Infinity.

On the plus side:
    - Can record two independent layers - so I do guitar then bass or vice versa
    - Good sound quality
    - Stereo (sometimes important)
    - Second layer length can be a multiple of the first layer
    - Pretty easy to transfer loops to Win/Mac via USB
    - More features and options that I don't use
    - Loops drop into Ableton Live and work without additional fuss
    - independent layer volume knobs
    - supposedly can sync to MIDI clock, haven't tried that

On the minus side:
    - pretty expensive (I got it used for $300)
    - locks up fairly regularly, though hasn't done so while I was using it. Support's recommendation was "don't leave it powered on for a long time" which is a head slapper for sure.
    - Number of presets is adjustable - which would be OK, but all loops wind up having a fixed maximum length which is not obvious until you realize that your recording stopped automatically and the loop point is in the wrong place.
    - UI is a little baffling at times - buttons and knobs have press and press-hold behavior so you have to keep the manual handy. I just use it in one way so I've memorized that.
    - If you overdub layers, there's an automatic compressor that can make your previous layer's volume fluctuate - nice concept to avoid distortion but in practice it ruins the loop.
    - No way to switch from one preset to the other using your feet - have to twirl a knob and press it.

I also was looking at the EH 1440.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  18. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I was going to recommend Jamman Solo XT....Great looper, but apparently Digitech is no longer in the looper business....Boss RC models are very similar it would be easy for you to adjust to it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.