Looper pedals..advice

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Strato50, May 20, 2018.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I am looking to get a looper for some live stuff...any recommendations?...looking for good quality playback and as much loop storage and time as possible without breaking the bank.

2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I have the DigiTech jamman express. Reasonably priced, 10 min loop time, unlimited overdubs, really simple to use. Plus the ability to link multiple loop pedals together and have them be synched up automatically. Can't speak to how it works in a live setting, but it's been a really solid, easy to use unit for me at home. Keep in mind that no matter what they all claim, it will slightly change your tone...but it's nothing that would be significant in a live environment.

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I was looking at that one and the EH Nano.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

For me, I went with the Digitech Jamman Stereo. The right foot switches already and no stomp dancing. Output for loops into a bass amp and then final lead onto a guitar amp. Plus XLR in for acoustic or verbal additions to loops makes for a versatile one man show type looper. Totally unlimited loop time using memory card plus enough loop storage for complete sets. Downloadable backing tracks through Jamman online software.

5. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

TheDitto Looper gives you five minutes of playing time, desent sound Quality too.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

s-l1600bb.jpg s-l1600nn.png cc.jpg s-l1600xx.jpg s-b.jpg The Rowin nano also has 10 min. loop time, an app to store and recall loops through USB (Windows only, I believe) and sounds just as good as my Digitech, for $40. They also have a mini size one (instead of nano) and some more advanced ones.

7. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Definitely interested in the responses you get here. I didn't realize that the things I would miss most when I sold my Line6 HD500X would be the (1) tuner and (2) looper...

8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I still have not decided ...I have a budget of 130.00 for this a lot of options...TC makes some good stuff...the EH is simple and has a lot of storage ability.. The Jam Man stuff is good..it's all so confusing..I guess something simple to operate is really what I will end of going with.

9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i've got the boss rc-20xl - it's cool for practicing with. i've never used it live but you could no problem:

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been using a Jamman Stereo (with delay) to capture ideas at home. Recently I tried using it more like I might live, that is to capture rhythm parts for different sections of the songs and try to switch between them on the fly. That seems like a whole new skill set which I might not be able to handle.

Unless I just stop playing, it's difficult to divert my attention to finding the next loop ahead of time without just totally screwing up (I'm playing bluegrass or surf tunes for example where the melody kinda wants to keep going most of the time). I was just trying to get to a loop one or two steps away from where I started but I either missed the button or held it down too long and wound up ten loops away from where I was going. THAT's not too fun.

I don't know if that matches what you are trying to do. It's much easier if you're just dealing with one loop at a time.

Also I found that using the rhythm guide (boom boom boom tshhhh) makes setting a seamless loop much easier (I think it quantizes the end point) but it's doubtful that anyone would do this live.

11. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

TC Ditto X2 for me. I needed the extra button for start/stop. I HATE trying to double tap a footswitch in time to make it stop. I liked the bypass better than the RC-3 I had.

Fits your criteria (and a used one will come in under budget). Full stereo (you could theoretically use two different instruments with it at the same time). Simple. Good quality. Good dry-through bypass (TC gets this right!). The playback sounds like a digital recording though. I mean, they all do - that's what they do. But it can be a little disappointing when your compare it to your straight-into-the-amp tone.

12. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Good Luck with that!

13. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I've got the Boss RC3. You can store up to 99 loops. I believe it has 3 hrs. of storage time. It also has some basic built in drum tracks. The built in ones are pretty mediocre, but you can add better ones to the memory.

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone tried the Rowin beat looper posted above with the extra footswitch?...looks cool...is it hard to operate?

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I guess it depends on your budget?

I used to have a Boss RC-20, then the RC-20XL. I find them to be affecting my tone and requires a masters degree to learn to operate. So, I tried the TC Ditto X2. I love its simplicity and having true bypass so I could keep it in my signal chain. I have now upgraded to the TC Ditto X4.

viccortes285 likes this.
  16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I am thinking the TC ditto..for it simplicity

17. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

That's great if you want to build each loop as you use it - make it part of the audience experience. But if you'd like to have some loops saved and just call them up for a given song, there are a lot of them that allow you to save loops. If you want something really simple, like the Ditto, there are a zillion knockoffs on Amazon for about $30-$40 that do the same thing. I had one for a while before I got an RC-3 and the playback quality seemed fine to me. But I like being able to save loops...

-Ray

LAGinz likes this.
  18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I ended up going with the Joyo...got a great deal...love the countdown..which live will be really nice. this demo is whack...maybe we can change that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.