Looper or Delay/Looper?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tele salivas, Sep 15, 2014.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I've never had a looper or a delay.
    I am wanting to get a delay, preferably one with a decent looper capability. But I am also open to getting a dedicated delay and purchasing a separate looper pedal.
    As far as delay, I am either considering the Malekko Lo-fi Ekko 616 MII, or one of the Boss DD3 or DD7 units. I know, quite a bit of difference in sound there. And as far as loopers go, I am still totally open. Any commentary will be appreciated!

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

the Line 6 DL4 is a great start, as it has both. you'll have seen that green beast on many a pedalboard.

3. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The DL4 was a great pedal that stood the test of time. That said the market is nowadays full of better devices...

As it is always cool to have a delay before a looper I would go for the solution of buying 2 pedals : a nice analog delay like the Malekko (the regular 616 is great too) and a small looper like the TC Ditto X2 or a JamMan Solo XT if you want to save and store your loops.

Before buying a looper you really have to ask yourself what features you want. Don't buy one because people tell you it's cool or it's the best.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 So true. Plenty of delays to choose from, so don't get anchored down by combining features. There is a specific advantage for this combo, but unnecessary most of the time.

I would add looking into the free downloadable PDF manuals from the various Boss and Digitech loopers to help determine what features you may want.

5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

When I first bought my TC Flashback delay I thought it was cool that it had a looper in there. It gave me a taste of looping but the reality was that looping is so useful it is worth having a dedicated pedal. I bought a Ditto only a few weeks later.

The three pedals I use constantly are the Flashback, the Ditto and a Sweet Baby overdrive.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I want a rack of the ditto. I want to be able to preload a set worth of music and then play along. If expanded, it would be the ultimate live pedal.

7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Yeah. A Ditto about a foot or so wide with ten buttons and ten knobs would be a hoot.

8. Middleman

Exactly.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Sort of like this.
    [​IMG]
    16hrs time, 200 memory locations, 3 delay presets with tap tempo. Ability do chorus/verse etc using stored presets and side loading from PC/Mac.

10. Middleman

The JamMan, I had one by the way and returned it, did not have great recording quality and you had to push the loop up and loop down buttons to search for a loop. Wasn't exactly intuitive for live playing but it's the closest thing to what I described that's out there for sure.

The ditto has a more accurate reproduction of the original sound and it is simple to use.

11. tele salivas

Is anybody familiar with the Boss RC-30 Phrase Looper? The more I look at stuff, the more I see that can be useful. I like the idea of being able to move recorded individual tracks directly to the unit and manipulating from there. The Ditto looks great for ease of function.

Regarding delays, while I am open to digital or analog units, are the better digital delays capable of doing the darker sounds and manipulations you hear on something like the Malekko lo-fi? One thing is, with my Fender Mustang III.v2 amp, there is a pretty good basic delay effect built in, (which got me interested in delay in the first place), so that is why I am thinking it would be cool to go for a more experimental sounding pedal, since I have the basic delay features covered?

Thanks for the suggestions and tips that are being provided.

12. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

The Boss DD20 is a great multi-purpose delay/looper.

The Line 6 M5 or M13 is another great choice. The looper is very simple to use and the delays are fine.

13. AmbientMetal

AmbientMetal TDPRI Member

I have the boss rv-3 & I love that little red pedal I use the drum machine/metronome a lot it's a really nice pedal I got it for free but I didn't also use it for for distortion stuff I would defiantly get the line 6 dl4

14. bwikoff

bwikoff TDPRI Member

One of my best purchases was the Digitech Hardwire DL8. Along with several different delays to choose from, including lo-fi and analog modeling selections, there's also a 20sec looper that's performed brilliantly for me in practice, songwriting and live performance. If you're married to the idea of an analog delay or think that you will need extensive looping time, it might not be the thing for you, but based on the description of your needs I think it would be a great one to look into.

15. tele salivas

This is kind of tough. I got to check out the Digi Hardwire DL8, TC Flashback, an older Boss (I think a DD3), and the Green Line 6 thing you see on top of lots of amps. Each one sounded pretty dang cool. I also got to try the EHX 360 Loop and had that thing up and going in a couple minutes. I spent the most time with the Hardwire DL8, though. I'd still like to try a Malekko 616 Lo-Fi as I am definitely drawn to that aspect of delay sounds, but the flexibility of the Hardwire is something not to be denied. Thinking I might like the flexibility of the Boss DD7, try that out. still pretty wide open for me.

16. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

If you want to do interesting things with your loops check out the Vox Dynamic Looper. It does things no other looper can do in its price point.

17. tele salivas

Thanks Pajama. your suggestion actually opened up about half a dozen other worlds. This looper thing might just catch on. bwahahah!

18. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

TC Flashback has a 40 second loop, which seems to be quite a long one, as far as delay pedals go. Gets a lot of praise, too.

19. TCapp

TCapp Former Member

I have the flashback. It's a great delay, but the looper on it is sub par at best. You can't use the delay at all in the loop, and the volume of the loop is based purely off the pedal. I use it because I haven't bought a dedicated looper yet. I'm GASing for the new BOSS RC-1!

20. tele salivas

whoa, that is something I think I can work with, too. The older I get the more I appreciate what BOSS does. Look forward to trying this one.

I think I'm heading more in a separate looper-separate delay direction. Probably between the BOSS RC-1 and the EHX 360. Still wide open on the delay pedal.

I appreciate all the input, everyone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.