1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looks like the CS Jim Campilongo Tele is almost ready...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemethis, Jun 19, 2010.

1. telemethis

telemethis TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I read the following news this morning. It is from Jim Campilongo's Headquarters on Facebook. The photo is also from his fb page.

Jim Campilongo Headquarters
    Just returned from an amazing trip to Custom Shop in Corona LA. We finalized all specs, colors, sounds, feels ...
    It's taken us two years but I think we got an OMG!
    I can't thank Mike Eldred and Fender enough... and thanks to John Peden, Izzy Lugo, Bill Finnegan, Dave Boat, Marc Baum and to my band - Tony Mason and Stephan Crump who are the toughest critics in the "family".... and to all the guitar geeks I know who helped me so very much in this long learning process!

The Campy Toploader will be available everywhere Custom Shop guitars are sold, in a minute.. or two.

[​IMG]

2. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

A couple of days ago the Fender Custom shop sent out some tweets with photos of Jim checking out the neck. Man, I wish I could afford one of these!

3. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Me too, Telehackster. :(

4. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Wow, still making 11th hour tweaks. This speaks well of the Fender CS and how they work with artists, working for so long with Jim to get it as right as possible.

5. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Sooooo WANT!

Wow, looking at the pic above, Jim wasn't kidding when he said they were making the area behind the nut deeper cut for behind-the-nut bends. Even if this Tele had nothing to do with such a fine artist and true gentleman as Campy, I'd still want one. Seems like a lot of features I'd want for myself anyway...

6. Jim Campilongo

Jim Campilongo Tele-Meister

wiring question

One of the many things I've learned during my Campy Signature Guitar journey is that the potentiometer wiring I prefer ("Late '67 Tele Wiring") is no longer "stock".

Is this true learn-ed friends?

This is the configuration I prefer and all Campy Signature guitars will have...
    "Late '67 Tele Wiring"
    FORWARD-neck p/u alone with tone control
    MIDDLE-both p/u's together with tone control
    REAR-bridge p/u alone with proper tone control

My understanding is the current "stock" potentiometer wiring has a "tone boost" that employs treble gain upon turning down the volume. In my humble opinion, this "Tone Boost" takes the guitar out of the players hands and eliminates a myriad of desirable sound options.

7. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Is this guitar going to be a relic or is it going to be available in new or "NOS" condition?

8. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Tele-Meister

Amen on the tone mod, Jim. Had it on, taking it off made the guitar much more playable.
    Your signature model looks great! Can't wait to check on out! Good luck with it.

9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

To eliminate the awful "tone boost," one need only to clip the .01 capacitor that connects the first and second lug on the volume pot of a "standard" Tele. Jim, I have to agree, your wiring sounds a lot better than the modern wiring, and allows the player to control the tone with the volume control as well as with the tone control.

10. Jim Campilongo

Thank you Dan. Now that you mention it, this is what I witnessed my guitar repair guy (Izzy) modifying/changing for me. I was taken aback that the "tone boost" was "stock" and I personally dislike it. It made me wonder if the "I have a Tele and Princeton but I don't sound like you" letters I receive had anything to do with this wiring combo. I felt that volume and tone swells diminish and woofy jazz chord sounds kind of disappear.

11. Jim Campilongo

I will relic mine all by myself.:lol:

12. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Jim, I'm really happy for you. For guitar nerds like us, you might as well be running around Wonka's factory with a golden ticket.

Since I discovered your music a couple of years ago, I've approached the guitar differently. I'm just now mastering the "tremolo" by pinning the guitar body close to me while moving the neck (Man, you have to pin it hard to get it to work!)

Are you still pretty happy with Princetons? I've heard that you've been looking into bigger amps also, like Twins.

13. Jim Campilongo

It's nice to read your post because it reminds me of how lucky I am.

Anyway, yes I still love Princeton Reverbs but I've been playing my Vibrolux Reverb at the Living Room gig where we seem to be getting louder and louder (and quieter and quieter too). I was looking into a Twin because I think they are great headroom amps but my common sense won out when I imagined lugging it around in NYC. I didn't want to buy a "lamp stand" for the practice room but I guess I'm still considering it. My knees and I are discussing it!

14. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

twins are too fun not to have just one! i've had my trusty blackface 67 since i was 21. i don't take it out as much these days, but i'll be damned if it isn't a recording monster. also, it's really fun to lug it out for the occasional gig and have that floor thumping clean tone with 3-D reverb swirling all around the room.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

No discussion,. listen to your knee speak softly now, or scream at you later...

I am surprised you could not have impacted the CS in as far as the circuit goes, maybe you need to show them the requests you are getting. ;)

Ciao, all the best, Robt

16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Tele and a Princeton II, and I don't sound like 2 of you.

Must be the wiring.:lol:

17. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was thinking along those lines when I read that. ;)

If I had his Tele and a Princeton, I doubt I would sound like 1/2 of him. ;)

Jim has been a household name for me way before he became one on the scale he is now. I am sure he likes it better now. ;) I kid, I bet he liked it fine before too, just my impression of his demeanor now and then, which seems constant to me.

I have a Tele and a Super, And I sound like me. :cool:

18. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

I forgot what's under my control plate. I'm going to have to pop that tonight and have a closer look. Thanks to Dan for the info and to Jim for the update on the CS guitar. I'll repeat that it's nice to see Fender is working so closely with Jim on getting the sig guitar just right. It's been what, 2 years, now? Individual artist vision/input to finished product must be a very interesting process. I'm sure this project will reflect well on both Jim and Fender. Good things come to those who wait.

19. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Well I'll drink to that! But in the original pic at the top of the page the neck has a large area with worn finish, so it looks like maybe a relic. I prefer NOS or new look myself.

[​IMG]

20. Chatty

Chatty TDPRI Member

Does anyone have a diagram of the 'late 67' wiring available?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.