1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looks like some new Fender amps coming

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaGriff, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looking forward to the Pro clips! Maybe without overdrive and delay to keep @Wally happy . . .

@ricks57custom - thoughts on this?

Thanks

Wally likes this.
  2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Me too but as noted, these aren't for us.
    I'm 58, most SF amps (as well as the big headstock Strats) are not what our gen would deem as 'desirable' vintage Fenders. But alas we are now getting old and there's a whole new generation of players that digs both the SF aesthetic. And frankly, even a crappy, late 70s SF Twin sounds bigger and meatier than all but the top end modelers. The 70s era Fender reissues seem to be popular.

Warning, more "opinions" to follow. Proceed at your own risk.

Neodymium speakers are light but I have yet to find one that doesn't sound overly bright, hard and one dimensional. YMMV.
    The Vibro Champ is interesting but the digital reverb isn't for me if it's the same that's in any of Fender's current dig/ss offerings. The VC could be a cool recording amp and doesn't need reverb. Again - YMMV. *Yes, I can turn the reverb off, but I won't pay an xtra 100 bucks for it.

3. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

I love vintage amps too but prices have creeped up considerably so that prices a lot of folks out. I reserve judgement until you get a chance to try them out. If you still don't like them, no harm, no foul. I think they sound pretty great but I'm going to be a bit biased. :)

gkterry, ataylor, Boreas and 2 others like this.
  4. ricks57custom

There are some tyops online that I'm trying to get fixed but the amp is 35 lbs, less than a Deluxe and about the same as a Princeton! In the box it is 42 lbs. Hope this helps.

gkterry, Boreas and MilwMark like this.
  5. ricks57custom

I'll do both clean clips and pedals clips, like the Vibro Champ Reverb. The vids I'm doing are not officially Fender clips so I'm just having fun and playing what feels good to me. I'll make sure to have a little bit of everything but I gotta do me. ;)

6. ricks57custom

To this i would say, try them out in person to see what you think. I never thought I'd like neo speakers but think it sounds great in the Tone Masters and this amp. I see this as a great "grab and go" amp that is louder but smaller and lighter than a Deluxe and takes pedals extremely well. YMMV. :)

gkterry, Ronzo, ataylor and 1 other person like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now about that vinyl shelf - good sound absorber.

A couple of my bands have done live sets on WMSE (you may know them from your visits to Milwaukee). They put the bands in the vinyl stacks - with the drummer surrounded on three sides. Works great to absorb and contain the racket!

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

this thread will sell a lot of these new amps. I will guarantee that my 24lb. Super Champs with Emi ALKs can do anything that these two amps can do, do it better, and then do things these two amps cannot even dream of doing. So, I am an old guy who is not your market.
    And again...an amp demo needs to have a guitar, a cable, and an amp. Anything else in the chain dilutes the information, imho. Ommv.

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A pair of those SCR's for my Iridium would be ultra cool, hmmm birthday is coming up...

10. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

FWIW, Sweetwater has it listed as 35#.

11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Well, Wally, I sorta disagree with you, brother. While I don't use pedals much, there are folks who depend on them for their sound. Now, I've heard amps that sounded good by themselves, but not so good with certain overdrives, fuzz boxes, etc.
    Makes sense to me that a feller (or a gal) would bring his/her pedalboard, to test out a new amp.

Ronzo and Wally like this.
  12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Couldn't agree more when it come to testing an amp in a shop for yourself, but not on youtube doing a demo, or a least play it without them first, 100% behind Wally on that one.

Ronzo and Wally like this.
  13. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I will. If the Vibro Champ really sounds like it's supposed to (a VC was my first amp in 1975), I'll think about it.
    I have tried a few Neodym spkrs and I didn't like them.
    I'm fortunate. I own real BF and early SF amps. The bar is really high here.

14. strat a various

I was talkin' ' bout live test ... but it works for videos, too. The internet's a big place ... there's room for many different demos of the same amp.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. ricks57custom

As do I! I like them all and the idea with these amps isn't to just replicate what we did, it's to add features that players, I hope, will appreciate. Not one amp will be all things to all people but that's what makes them so amazing! So many flavors to choose from. :)

AlbertaGriff, MilwMark and ataylor like this.
  16. strat a various

Fender shouldn't reuse the names of classic amps to market a different amp.

archetype likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

stratavarious, I was speaking only to an amp demonstration. For my purposes, how an amp reacts to pedal input would come after I hear the basic amp. ...and....what pedal, right? Some pedals might work well with any certain amp...some might not. So, yes, if I were a pedal user, I would want to hear the amp with MY pedals before I put money down....and I suggest this to people who use pedals. However, I always encourage them to hear the amp by itself first. Ime, if the amp doesn’t sound good by itself, no pedal is going to make the amp work for me. Ommv...as always, one should always make sure their own boat floats.

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Not much exciting since the Pawn Shop series. Those were fun and affordable.

19. strat a various

Demos with popular pedals speak to the owners of those pedals, it's that simple. But my theory goes deeper actually:

I see demos of good sounding amps, but I don't think they sound so great in the video ... and, I read reviews and posts in forums where players give good sounding amps the "thumbs down" ... there're some currently where some members here didn't like the sound of a 70s Vibrolux or an old Peavey Bandit. I suspect these are cases of user error .... players who just don't know how to adjust the volume and tone controls to achieve a good sound from their amp (and guitar).
    If a u-tube star doesn't know how to adjust the amp being demo'd, that demo is as useless to me as if it had been done with an overdrive or a compressor.
    Many many times I've sat in at a friend's gig, and after they'd say, "How'd you get my rig to sound so good? I've been struggling with it all night!" Well, one has to set the volume and EQ of an amp for the room's acoustics, and those acoustics can change through the night, as the crowd size changes. A lot of fair players try to use their magic personal amp settings at every gig.

I don't trust that a demo or review illustrates an amp set at the optimum adjustments for prevailing conditions ... these demos are as much demonstrations of the host's abilities as of the amp.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    Wally likes this.
  20. ricks57custom

Well, even Leo did the same thing with different iterations. Think about the names Deluxe, Pro, Twin, Champ, Princeton, etc. These are names that are synonymous with fender and we feel comfortable using them if we stay true to their spirit. Besides, it's a lot harder to come up with cool names these days when almost everything is already taken. ;)

ataylor and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.