1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looks like some new Fender amps coming

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaGriff, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I believe grid bias trem is what the Princeton Reverb uses. It doesn't use an optocoupler like the other BF/SF amps typically use.

So if you know what PR trem sounds like vs. a DR or other bigger BF/SF, I'm guessing the trem in this new one should sound similar.

Also, it only requires 1/2 of a preamp tube, so that would free up Fender to use the other half for some other purpose, possibly as the recovery stage for the reverb. Between that, the single channel, and the SS recto, it probably helped Fender to mimimize the # of tubes needed. That would simplify things quite a bit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    MilwMark likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Most are probably still in service and some folks like them.

There might be a few thousand, there might not be that many sold at all. They didn't linger in Fender's catalog. They shared the same brains as the Bandmaster VM with 40 Watts from 2 6L6GCs and didn't sound or act like a DR. Fender has kept the schematic a secret AFAIK, no parts are available from Fender, and the unique transformers aren't available unless you pay MM. @Wally's transformer set is gold if someone blows theirs.

Ignatius and Wally like this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where is the traditional slide power switch on the Champ? That could be a dealbreaker...

Wally and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Champ looks cool to me.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Vintage silver face pro prices on reverb....
    Why would I buy a new reissue? I can get the real vintage deal for less...same with the vibro champ! The new ones are in no way “better “
    Joe Walsh used a vintage one to good effect I think??

Baffled at silver face reissues...
    Why?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:50 PM
  6. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

In case anyone is interested in what the Vibro Champ Reverb sounds like, here's a link to me playing one at home. This isn't the professional videos that will happen soon, just me noodling and finding some great sounds. These will be out in a month or so. I'll be doing a Pro video in the next day or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9vt1aMS2j/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

7. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

Someone needs to tell them that if they are going to offer more than 4 amps, they need more than 4 names for them.

dannyh and Mexitele Blues like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Sounds pretty good to me! Also, I started following you on "the gram". I also have Grace on vinyl, haha.

Boreas likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't need another amp, but I get why they made that Pro Reverb. It's more of a gigging amp than the Deluxe Reverb. 40W and mids knob. Just add a dirt pedal or two and you're set.

What I don't get is that Vibro Champ Reverb. Why pay so much for an amp with DSP reverb? Same speaker as the Custom Princeton Reverb, but why buy this instead? The smaller format is kind of cool, but that's about it.

10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

That reverb Champ is long overdue! Hopefully it has springs, right?

11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I don't know if someone else answered this, but FEnder.com has info on the Pro Reverb: 40 watts 1x12 is the mod, instead of the 2x12

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

The new Pro is one of the few amps I've seen recently that really interests me. As others have said, 40 watts, non master volume 1x12 valve combo with trem and reverb, good weight, sounds perfect. Hope they have made it with good headroom and not an early breakup. Only thing that piuts me off is the £1250 price tag, lot of vintage amps out there for the same price or less. Mesa Rocket 44 with a trem pedal would be half that price.

13. capgun

capgun TDPRI Member

I’m not necessarily anti digital reverb, but why couldn’t they just put a real spring in it?

Capgun

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

A matching extension cab for the pro would be cool with the Neo Creamback.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The secret is not the springs in the tank but the tube circuit that drives and recovers the signal to and from that tank. Ex: the Blues/Hot Rod amps have a spring reverb tank, but the solid state circuitry does not yield the same result as does a true tube reverb. That VMVC...Vintage Modified Vibroverb champ...is just too small to house the necessary tube arrangement to have a Fender tube reverb circuit, I would think??
    And...why ride the old wave?? Mechanical springs, whether tube or solid state driven and recovered, are so old school, right? Digital is where it all is at for the future. The ears of the younger players are not attuned to tubes. They have grown up and will be growing up having heard nothing but digitally processed sounds. Solid state with digital effects and modeling is so much more quickly versatile.
    and...I have to observe that it is interesting to hear an advanced preview of a new amp that cannot let us hear what the amp does on its own..without a digital delay unit and a solid state overdrive pedal in between the amp and the guitar.
    oh well, I have what I need, and it is all-tube and handwired. Fender will do well with whatever they put out.

Chiogtr4x, Ronzo and Boreas like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These aren’t aimed at you. If the “only vintage will do” crew were it, Fender would be out of the amp business. Or just out of business.

Ronzo and ataylor like this.
  17. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Simple - vintage amps are no longer being made. I have a clean 69 VC that I paid ~$300 for 25 years ago. I could probably get 4 times that now - and MANY of these amps were produced. Are they really still considered affordable? Many people want an amp they can use and abuse and not feel they are ruining vintage equipment. There are a bazillion vintage guitars and amps out there, but how many of them are being used by working musicians?

Bottom line is, Fender is making no money on vintage amps. They can only stay afloat by selling new amps/guitars. They have serious marketing and R/D departments. They own the patents and designs for these old amps - why not update them and target them to the same people they targeted originally? They aren't marketing these newer amps as "better". They are called "custom" because they depart from the originals. Some designs will take off, some will silently fade away like the first SS versions of vintage amps. They aren't targeting old farts like myself, they are targeting a particular younger audience that wouldn't recognize a tube if it showed up in their corn flakes. It is how you stay relevant into the future.

Ronzo, ricks57custom, ataylor and 2 others like this.
  18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

vintage amps come with responsibility imho.

vintage fender amps for the most part are rare(ish) anf now worth money. Any alterations (and even maintenance) arguably alter the perceived value.

of course there are some who don't care and mod/run em' ragged, but they are inadvertently raising the value of all the others that are cared for...

this all imo affects how much use some of them get and why I have an aversion to buying vintage. I'd rather play the snot outta something that isn't valuable than baby a vintage piece that keeps appreciating every year.

Twang Deluxe and Boreas like this.
  19. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

That Fender Pro is really interesting to me. It initially seemed like an amp built solely for my purposes, but I read on and I have a few reservations. I was expecting this to be like a high headroom Princeton with a mid control. It's lighter than a Twin, but has more power than a Deluxe.

Sweetwater's site says, "Fender also tweaked the amp's negative feedback to give it increased touch sensitivity, and it also starts to overdrive faster." If your going to make the circuit overdrive quicker, what is the purpose of having 40 watts!!! I also thought the Neo speaker was an interesting choice (it's probably there for weight). I've never played a Neo guitar amp, but I've heard they are difficult to record.

I look forward to playing one, just to see if it's an good. If it's got decent headroom, I'll consider it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the Tonemaster Princeton or see if a non-reverb SF Princeton ever comes my way.

Boreas likes this.
  20. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think the under 30# weight for the 68 Pro Reverb must be a typo. Yes, the speaker only weighs 4.2#. But a 68 Princeton Reverb weighs 34# with a 3.5# speaker and much smaller transformers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.