Looks like some new Fender amps coming

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaGriff, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm... Interesting. The VC kinda fits the modded SF motif, which was the idea behind the customs to begin with. The pro-reverb is kinda weird, though. If it's not a 2x12, it's not a pro-reverb, AFAIC. OTOH, the one channel kinda makes sense from a 'mod' POV.

I'm not against digital reverb. I just don't like it built in. Cheapens a vintage style amp, IMO. Fender should have just made a '68 custom VC with 10 inch speaker, and left it at that.

Pricey. But all Fender amps are pricey. I always take into account 15-20% off MAP when new, though. I won't buy new otherwise. And there will be tons of used in a year or so. $5-600 puts them in range of a working real SF VC, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's a pretty busy price point for amps in general.

zeke54 and nicknklv like this.
  2. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Don't get me wrong, Fender makes a good amp with decent resale. I have a custom Franklyn amp that is heads above anything Fender makes these days (including the Custom Shop). The last Fender I had was the CS Brownface Princeton (great amp). The stack you see in my avatar (amp, reverb tank, and 15" ext. speaker) costed less in total and sounds way better.

https://www.franklynamps.com/

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Pro Reverb is closer to a Twin Reverb, than to a Deluxe Reverb.

4. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, a vintagey 10" in any Champ/VC is hugely useful, I've done that a few times now. Less about frequency for me (at some point you're limited by that awesome, tiny cabinet) than it is about touch sensitivity.

5. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

If someone wants that style of amp, I don't really think they would like the digital reverb.

Who knows? Maybe it will sell well for them.

zeke54, hepular and Boreas like this.
  6. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I personally think Fender is doing a pretty good job with their amps. I have a DRRI and a SCx2 and both have served me well enough to sell my old amps. I wouldn’t worry about the digital reverb. I had a Blues Junior for a minute and that reverb was not as convincing as the digital reverb on the SCx2. I like the comment on low powered heads. Probably a good market for that.

7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

For a minute there, I was all excited about the Vibro Champ. But digital reverb? I'll pass.

zeke54 likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

welll.....if we were talking about vintage amps, I would say that the tube rectifier in the Pro Reverb puts it closer to the DR both in the power and in the way the circuit acts when pushed hard. The TR’s power and especially the solid state rectifier demand that the results are much different from the small OT, lower power, and tube rectifier in the Pro Reverb...especially when the amps are pushed. that said, ime, at some volume all of the vintage reverb Fenders yield very similar results. What these new amps will do may be something quite different from their vintage namesakes. I would buy a vintage Fender long before I would buy a new one. Ommv.
    I am sure that Fender will sell boatloads of these, and people will be happy with them...until they aren’t.

fenderchamp and DADGAD like this.
  9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

hopefully they release a more vintage angled 65' version of both.

I'd actually be quite interested in a straight up fender 65' pro reverb reissue., hell I'd be into a VC too.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The chassis and cab look too short for a 2X10 config. I'm thinking that's probably a 1X12. I would think that Fender would re-purpose some other cab in their existing line, but not sure which one that would be, unless it is indeed just a DR cab.

The old Pro Reverb was a 2X12 amp, ~40 watts (earlier ones, anyway), and tube recto. There's no midrange control on the vibrato channel. IMO, that makes it more like a Vibrolux Reverb with a pair of 12s than it does a DR with 6L6 and a pair of 12s.

Even at ~35 watts with my '71 VR, it stays cleaner in the preamp higher up the dial than my '79 DR did, because there's higher supply voltages to the preamp tubes. And since the VR has a 4 ohm load, the resulting greater negative feedback results in things being a bit cleaner a little further up the volume dial, vs. the DR.

I love my '71 VR. It's a lifetime amp for me. I never really cared for my '79 DR, even after BF'ing it, and then further modifying it trying to squeeze just a bit more headroom out of it. I think I just don't care for how a DR sounds when it's dirty. YMMV.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The VR stands alone among those vintage 2x6L6 Fender Reverb amps in that it runs lower B+ than those amps do. It runs lower B+ than does the DR....especially in the later SF era. I owned a 1976 VR than ran BFVR voltages....411vdc on the plates when biased at about 60% of MPD. A DR from the same era will be running higher than that...high enough to challenge all but a rugged 6V6. BFDRs have the same voltage issues unless one runs ‘vintage’ voltage at them.
    The VR does something that no other Fender Reverb amp does, ime, because of those lower voltages. It s my favorite BF/SF Fender Reverb amp.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

"On a more traditional vibe, Fender have also released two slightly tweaked reissues of a couple of classics. The Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb is a cool silverface, 40-watt amp based on an original that now fetches daft money on the collector’s market. Fender have brought the weight down, upgraded the speaker to a 12” Celestion, made it a single channel combo and added Mid & Bright controls. Phew! Quite a few changes, then! Sounds incredible though, so we’re glad."

looks like its 8ohms and SS rectifier?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/201202364711025--fender-68-custom-pro-reverb

13. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I ended up spending $350 for a 69 FR1000 spring reverb to mate with my 69 VC. IF the reverb sounds reasonable AND the 10" speaker sounds good, I would consider it a bargain. If the reverb or speaker suck, not so much... But I will wait to see details on construction, components, and tone before I condemn or praise.

14. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

Spec are on the Fender website.

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Who cares if it has digital reverb? If other stuff on the market right now is any indication, it’s gonna sound pretty dang good. And if you really don’t like it, just turn it off. Pretty simple.

I’m definitely not the market for a Champ (or any fender amps in general) but I think this will be a hit.

Players who want a vibro champ, but don’t want to mess with the headache that vintage amps can be will eat this up.

They don’t want to spend the money to purchase one, then spend money for a tech to get it serviced, then deal with ongoing maintenance. Then worry about possible devaluation when they have to replace original parts because they actually use the thing.

They just want to buy a new amp and have fun with it. Doesn’t matter if it lasts 60 years because they aren’t going to have it that long anyhow. 10” speaker, reverb, and a warranty can be welcome bonuses over a vintage model at a similar price point.

As far as pricing, given build and features, I think it would make more sense at $500. But... people are willing to pay for the Fender name and look. That’s been proven. Also vintage models of these amps are getting stupid expensive. When I was coming up in the 80’s pawn shops were chock full of champs. Just stuffed with em. Nobody wanted them. They were joke amps. The most expensive, mint condition examples topped out at $30, used. But those days are over. I thought it was crazy when people started paying $300 for them. But I just recently saw a BF VC listed at $1k locally, and it sold in a day. It was a clean amp, but that’s freakin ridiculous. As a working player, I’d take the new one over that deal all day long. A ten inch speaker and reverb at least makes it viable as a home practice amp, which is more than I can say about the real ones.

MarkWW, JDRNoPro, Ronzo and 7 others like this.
  16. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'll happily use outboard digital reverb but my first reaction was also that it feels out of place onboard an amp like this.

On the other hand, I'm one of those guys for whom a little reverb is mandatory, so a portable amp like this is much more convenient if my pedalboard isn't an automatic requirement. It'll still be a PCB reissue-type amp, vintage-approximate, so maybe a digital reverb module isn't really sacrilegious.

I'd probably like it better if the reverb module were on a separate, modular board, that could be replaced OR ripped when the Belton brick craps out. I'm sure that's unlikely, will be interested to see gut shots anyway.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The AA270 VR schematic specifically lists the B+ for the power tubes' plates at 450VDC, even with a 5U4. And at the other end of the B+ rail, the first preamp stages are supplied with 200VDC.

The AB763 DR schematic lists the B+ for the power tubes' plates at 420VDC, with a GZ34. And at the other end of the B+ rail, the first preamp stages are supplied with 180VDC.

I modified my '71 VR so that I can adjust the bias, but I kept the 5U4, and didn't dink around with the resistors in the B+ rail. I forget what I measured the plates at last time I biased it (but pretty sure it was higher than 411VDC), but I typically adjust the bias for somewhere in between 60% - 70% MPD.

My '79 DR was BF'ed, and it kept the GZ34 rectifier. The B+ was way too high, all the way down the B+ rail. Not sure what PT the later 70's DR had, but the only way I could get the B+ in the proper range (w/o messing with the resistors in the rail) was to use a 5R4 rectifier. I then biased a pair of TAD 6V6s to somewhere in between 60% - 70% MPD, and that's the best tones I got out of it, but especially the dirty tones just could not touch what the '71 VR is capable of.

18. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

Might be that the question of whether the Pro is more like a Deluxe or a Twin, depends on the year? I bought one of the last Pro Reverbs made, that was the year that they went back to blackface. It was 70 watts and billed as "half of a twin". Great amp.

19. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

20. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

From the GW article above-

"Another new addition to the Fender amp catalog is the '68 Custom Pro Reverb, which again seeks inspiration from its classic 40-watt ancestor.

Equipped with a 12" Celestion Neo Creamback speaker, which utilizes a lightweight neodymium magnet to achieve classic rock and roll tones, the new amp weighs in at under 30lbs in a bid to improve its portability.

As well as featuring the same controls as the aforementioned Vibro Champ – bright switch, volume, treble, bass, reverb, speed and intensity – the Custom Pro Reverb also boasts a middle control which allows for even greater tonal possibilities.

Things to write home about include modified Pro Reverb circuitry, genuine Fender tube-driven reverb and grid bias tremolo, reduced negative feedback for more touch sensitivity, and a new single-channel format.

The refined amp is the "perfect size and volume for any gig" according to Fender, who also suggest that it could well be the ultimate pedal-friendly platform.

To keep things in line with the classic aesthetic, this amp also carries a 1968-style silver-panel aluminum trim with silver-turquoise grille cloth. As an added benefit, the Pro Reverb comes with a vintage-style two-button switch and a fitted cover.

The Fender '68 Pro Reverb is available from April for $1,299."

Hmm, 40 watts with tube driven reverb and weighs under 30 lbs? Veeeerryyy interesting...

Franc Robert

JDRNoPro, MilwMark and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.