Looks like Daisy Duke is still going at it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 14, 2020.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

You feel good, stewing in self righteousness, but what you wrote was drunken driving was the same as premeditated murder.

No drunken driver sets out to murder someone. Intent matters in law. Be as tough as you like on drunk drivers. Just don't muddle the terms. Think clearly.

awasson and Torren61 like this.
  2. maxvintage

We spent a month in Ireland a few years ago. The biggest challenge was getting used to roundabouts--going the wrong direction. It does concentrate the mind.

I'm pretty sure that roundabouts are faster and safer, statistically, than stop lights. Much less likely to result in straight up t-bones, for one thing.

3. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

People have been driving while high on weed for at least 60 years. Nothing new.
    Oh and I hate roundabouts in general...especially the inside lane.

FLHT, JeffBlue and Torren61 like this.
  4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If as a child you ride in the car and watch your parents navigate through roundabouts it all makes sense when you begin to drive. In 1966 while stationed in England, on our off week from flying we had to do squadron duties. I was tasked with driving a old bread truck used to pick up the crews and drive them out to the aircraft's. There were several roundabouts to negotiate with quite a bit of traffic. I found it very difficult to both drive on the opposite and deal with roundabouts. Took me a number of times learning to enter and exit them. Lots of advice from the crew members, most of which probably would have resulted in a wreck. It was a skill I had to learn over time and even on later trips over the years was very awkward at first.

Greggorios and hdvades like this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I wrote "driving recklessly" (drunken driving is rare in Greece cause we don't have a drinking culture like the US has anyway).

But come to think about it getting drunk and than driving and than killing someone is DEFINITELY premeditated murder...in my book....after all you do drive recklessly when drunk don't you?

You are talking semantics and law ,I am talking SUBSTANCE. (not to mention that not all LAW is perfect..}

That's our big difference.

Any idiot driving like a maniac for whatever reason (getting drunk,getting high,being angry ,in a hurry etc.) is a potential murderer .

The more he is allowed to do it without severe consequences the bigger the chance that this murder is going to happen gets.

So there is absolutely nothing "accidental" about it. Accidental is something that happens by accident. When you drive like a madman and kill somebody is not an accident since you KNOW that when you drive a "lethal weapon" (a car) recklessly you will definitely kill ,injure people but you CHOOSE to do so.

Elementary Watson,elementary..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. maxvintage

Not worth replying to

awasson and FLHT like this.
  7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Definitely, you either have common logic or you don't.

Over and out from me.

8. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

PA has been in a roundabout building frenzy for a few years. By all accounts they move more traffic, safely than 4 way intersections.

If we pennsyltucky hillbillies can deal with them, I think you'll do fine.:)

awasson, ozcal, Toto'sDad and 3 others like this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

We’ve had ‘em here for years. The latest incarnation, a yard diameter white dot literally painted on the road, is a bloody nightmare. When three cars approach one, they all have to give way. Eventually someone takes a chance but the dithering causes so many collisions. They just put the, anywhere there’s a junction, because they can! On the bigger, ‘proper’ ones, you get long queues as people block the entrances. Once it reaches critical point, highways put traffic lights on it. Still doesn’t help when the entrances / exits get blocked. They worked once but with the increase in traffic over the past few years I think they are no longer fit for purpose. A crossroads with lights would work better. Oh, one last point. Where I live local motorists refer to the front left tyre as the ‘roundabout tyre’. It always wears on the outside edge far more than the other three!

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

‘And when we tried to put in the bolts, all the holes were gone’

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Anyone who has suffered the loss of a friend or loved one as the result of drink driving by someone else will, I am sure agree with the ‘shoot on site’ view. DUI is an abhorrent crime. BUT, just to assume that someone is drunk when they have an incident is unacceptable. Even if this lady was, it is only herself that has suffered. What I object to is when someone gets pulled over, fails a breath test for the fifth time in a year, yet is still allowed to drive when they give a sob story about losing their job or their sick Gran who lives 50 miles away. Or, the guy who gets a six month ban on top of the last, unspent, ban. He won’t drive whilst he’s banned..........................of course he bloody well will.

awasson likes this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I don’t think that’s his point. Skateboarders (and cyclists), do injure people. I assume you think that the person on wheels should be punished with a sliding scale of severity. Eye for an eye justice. An old guy on an invalid scooter ran into a young lady at our shopping parade the other week. Broke her foot. There’s a case going on as she may have stepped backwards into his path. If you’re right, they should have at least knocked the old boy about a bit rather than assume he may not be to blame.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    awasson likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I am sure your comments were tongue in cheek, but that’s not the way they came across!

14. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Mm, Athens, impeccable driving standards there.

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Bet your gear landed about 20 seconds after the van!

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

To be murder there has to be proof of intent.

awasson likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You’re plainly wrong and not thinking about this. You run a red light, on purpose or through inattention, and you’ve committed a crime. If, God forbid, you hit someone and kill them, it isn’t murder unless it can be proven that you intended to kill that person. If the person had a ‘walk’ sign and you only hit them because you jumped the red, you’re guilty, in the UK, of one of two crimes. Death by careless driving, where you didn’t see the stop signal or death by dangerous driving where you saw but chose to ignore it. The second carries a higher penalty than the first but can be harder to prove. Unless it could be proven that you had deliberately taken aim at the person with the sole intention of hitting him, it wouldn’t be murder. Even if that person had instantly ‘wound you up’ by stepping out in front of you to the point where you’d made a snap decision to drive at him, it would likely be a man slaughter charge you’d face, there being no forethought or planning. It’s very compLex but, as others have said, murder needs to be intentional, pre-meditated and, usually driven by a proven motive. PHEW! all this from a video clip.

awasson likes this.
  18. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

What sets Greece apart is not the number of accidents, but the legislation. You can be completely drunk, drive 100 miles speed within the city, cross all the red lights you want, then kill two children and their mother, then leave without stopping, ... when the police gets you, you spend one night in the police station if any, then go home.

Between appeals, the trial concludes 5-8 years after that, no one ever gets jailed (legislation doesn't have such an option for what is legally considered accidental manslaughter), the driver keeps his license, doesn't have to appear in his trial, etc. If the driver doesn't have insurance or nothing to his name the victims families don't get anything. Sad remnants of an era where drunk driving was a rule largely accepted. They didn't have the speed and numbers of today though. The laws are slowly changing nowdays, but not fast enough..

Nick Fanis likes this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not hard to understand how anyone can become angry, really angry, at how dangerous driving has become. Driving a vehicle on public roads is a responsibility not a right. It's a responsibility to conduct oneself in a manner that maximizes the safety of others and oneself. The following are what I observe on a daily basis that are by any standard unwise, illegal or just plain stupid that have become all too common as standard operating procedure for many drivers:

1-Directional signals never used.
    2-Passing on the right (U.S.)
    3-"Shoe horning" into a lane by passing at high speed and ramming the car into a space barely large enough to fit another vehicle parked and standing still let alone at 60mph plus on a 3 lane highway. Instant recipe for a disaster.
    4-Crossing multiple lanes in a high speed sweep.
    5-Using ANY DEVICE or thing while trying to operate a vehicle: texts, smartphones, etc.
    6-Absence of any common courtesy toward other drivers.
    7-Driving as fast as one wants in bad weather because they have 4 wheel drive which, of course, instantly makes them bullet proof.

No laws, no amount of police presence or technology will solve these issues. We, the drivers, are the only ones who can fix it.

awasson, JeffBlue and Wallo Tweed like this.
  20. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps, but I believe the potency of the new medical grade marijuana is varied and much higher than what was previously available on the black market. The vaping craze hasn't helped either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.