1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lookout Fender and Gibson - 3D printed guitars!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Middleman, Jul 11, 2014.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the key thing here is "bespoke." The technology allows for unique on-off designs, giving folks a way to own guitars that don't look like any other guitars, which, of course, would seem completely insane in this forum.

2. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The current technology in 3D printing would produce poor quality guitars. The time and expense of printing basically ABS plastic instruments is overshadowed be even the lamest attempts at conventional materials - see Seasick Steve.

When available 3D printing moves on to better materials, maybe, but soft, heat set plastic? NAH. Might as well use a hot melt glue gun to create a guitar. It may be shaped just so, but mechanically, barely useable junk.

denny

3. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I like 3d printing I think it's cool I really do. I just don't think this guy knows anything about modern manufaturing. He held up a seashell with squares in it looking shape and said it was complex and said modern manufaturing Is better for simple shapes???? With plastic injection molding they can shape plastics how ever they want and could make something like that in about .3 seconds 3d printing would take considerably longer.

Its not that manufaturers don't have the tech to make plastic guitars even out of space age super strong plastics. It's just that for the they don't sound or feel as good and people don't buy them.

The cool things about 3d printing is it brings you the capability of building stuff that was close to impossible outside of a high tech manufacturer right in your home. With high tech polymers. It's not that manufacturers can't use these polymers easily. It's just normally metal or wood is the first choice. They are just kind of hard to beat as materials and for plastic things normally cheaper plastics are fine for things like shower curtain rings or barbie dolls etc etc etc I think this is a case of a college professor not being able to think outside of his own little college professor world unfortunatly people get rooked into buying into his ignorance because he has a phd.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that in a few years, a high quality custom 3D printed guitar will be on par with an early solid acrylic guitar as far as practicality and uniqueness. What I do see happening right now is custom shaped knobs, pickup switch tips, whammy bar tips, pickup rings, pickup covers, and truss rod covers, all in custom shapes. That would be practical, but the items could still very easily be made with basic tools or know how.

5. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

yea or a Custom Shop..... I would prefer over anything...wow...that's a chunk of dough...

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's cool. When conducting and magnetic inks are available pickups can then be printed, as well as new instrument designs.

7. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

Heed Marsath's word......Soon it will be our turn!! :twisted:

Attached Files:

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Just with the custom ideas and such, has anyone ever done a pickup with flat ribbon wire instead of standard round magnet wire?

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm impressed by the notion of making bones and prosthetics and all sorts of medical applications. The steam punk guitar with spinning wheels isn't doing it for me.

If it is possible to build an acoustic like my old Rainsong that would interest me more than a solid body.

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll be impressed when I see a 3D printed "guitar" that doesn't have a wooden neck.

A knife with a 3D printed plastic handle is not a 3D printed knife.

11. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Don't get your fingers caught in that Steampunk guitar with all the moving gears!

12. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

I think those guitars are totally nasty but it is SLS not FDM. He is not printing these on a Makerbot. It looks like they are made on an EOS system which is a laser sintered nylon. They are crap though and a real lesson in how not to use technology in instrument making. It is really not news worthy and I can't believe he sells that rubbish but there you go. Some people want that tat.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

That "sea shell" is a Möbius strip, something that no mold shop could possibly make from injection molding. It is a great example of what this technology can do, but as others mentioned, the material is not there yet for guitars. OTOH, maybe this will end the controversial question of how much difference there is with different body materials.

Oh, wait, there was Ovation.

14. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

3D printing's real strength lies in rapid prototyping, not mass production.

15. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

A custom-shape, a good guitar does not make. Further to that, the problem with 3D modelling is unless the 3D file is deleted as soon as it's 3D printed, identical clones of a supposedly unique guitar are bound to pop-up all over the place like mushrooms.

16. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

for 3500 I would buy the printer, honestly. Buy the right printer and for the cost of the precision drive mechanism and electronics (not that much) you can print out the remaining parts using the files that come with it and have two of them. Then you could print out 3500 junk like the professor there, just twice as many in the same time.

The technology is just getting going and this guy is already way behind but hey, he got Reuters to do a story on him and if he sells just one he is a happy guy with lots of cash to buy real guitars with which I aint got so more power to him.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe now, but perhaps not always.

I'm reading a whole lot of "oh, it can't do this," and "it's bad for that," kind of comments. I guess the technology should just be abandoned, then, because it's just not cutting it right now.

18. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If anyone manages to design a 3D printer that can print fiber-reinforced items they will be very rich.

The technology could perhaps even be used to print the original fiber-reinforced material: wood.

Once the remaining "cheap labour" countries become wealthy, everything no matter how complex will need to not be handmade.

But yeah, if you can print say, a tennis racquet, or a car hood, or a lamborghini chassis (or anything light and strong) it'll take off overnight.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Maybe buy one of these 3D printers and start making 3D printers.

Actually, this technology has been out for 20 or so years, it is just now becoming "affordable". I was having parts made using 3D printing back in 1995. My neighbor just bought one for his business way out here in the boonies.

Hmmm, he plays guitar too...

20. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Not at all... just pointing out that the tech is in its infancy. It does what it does very well. Other manufacturing methods (for mass production) are well established and more mature. It'll be some time before 3D printing is able to replace injection molding, for example....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.