looking to upgrade my katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Hey_you, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

Hey all. Just saw the Katana mkii 50 amp.noticed right away a better use of the effect knobs. I own the 1st release bout a yr now. Right away I am want to switch out the 1/2 this effect 1/2 knob other effect. I went to Roland's part page.couldn't find a link directly answering my inquiry. There are other knobs out there that do the same thing. The ones for Boss mk2 would be my choice.How does one go about ordering those parts? An outside vendor perhaps? And yeah. I know. Heh, I void warranties on a regular basis. btw, this is my 1st amp/guitar. I am assuming that those pots are not soldered into a pc board.Hadn't looked at this point.make it a bit tougher for me, but doable.This worth undertaking also?

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's impossible to do what you want. It's not just a matter of replacing the pots with dual ones. The amp's firmware and circuit would also need to be updated/replaced, and the pots probably are mounted on a pc board. Just sell yours and buy a Mk 2 version.

Tonetele likes this.
  3. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

Thanks

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Boss Katana Mk 1 ( Version 3) and I agree. Was looking at some old 80s Roland cubes on Ebay and they are just about the same.
    Anyway, Mk 11 comes along and seems a little better. Probably sounds the same.
    Very difficult to mod a digital amp, like replacing a mother board on a computer.
    I'd sell as is if you're not happy, and pay the difference for a new one, of you are that dissatisfied. I know little or nothing about computers ( odd as I was a College level Maths/ Electronics lecturer, am just not computer savvy, I'm an analogue thinker.
    It's your choice. I suggest sell the amp and get a Mk.11. FWIW I'd go for the 100 watt version- seems to have a lot more going for it. But it comes down to money.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you do sell and get the new version, try and go for the 100 watt. Sounds better and has some nice features like GAFC foot controller

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.