Looking to rebuild my '08 AmSd, want some ideas

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Birdmankustomz, May 30, 2015.

1. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

My American Standard is set up with a DiMarzio Chopper T bridge and an epi Les Paul bucker in the neck which was assembled as a 'poor girls LP'. It's not too bad, though it sounds muddy, probably could be fixed with some 1meg pots but more on that in a minute.

Also in the stable is a Japanese no-name from the 60s which is great for those jangly 60s sounds and an Ibanez strat that is set up with an 18v Seymour Duncan AHB-2b for the heavy metal side (side note, while that pickup will just about destroy an amp you run it into, if you turn it down it cleans up pretty well). I have a shell pink tele with single coils and a three saddle bridge/ trem unit, which I'm bringing step by step to a 'vintage spec' instrument.

This has most of the sounds I need covered, but I'm looking to pick up a LP soon, so my question for you guys is: what should I do with my AmSd? My first inclination is keep the chopper T, toss the neck and make it a sort of esquire from hell, or put the 1 meg pots in and upgrade the neck pickup. But what do you all think?

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

500 k pots. 1 Meg will probably be too bright. Also when combining a humbucker AND a single coil, pickup height is tricky.

Edit: just realized you were talking about the stock pickups not being bright enough? Definitely raise your pickups and mess with amp settings.

3. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

It's two humbuckers, a blade style in the bridge and the LP in the neck, I think it might actually have 500k in it now, I don't remember as installed them years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.