1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking to install dunlop straploks on my tele, do they require drilling?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Duckattack83, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Duckattack83

Duckattack83 TDPRI Member

I have a pre-cbs tele that I want to add these locks to, similar to Robben Fords, but before purchasing I want. to know if I have to drill them in, which I won't, however, I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with them. If you've used them, how hard are they to put on and remove, do they cause damage?

Thanks!

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Not necessarily. I put strap locks on all my guitars. If the screws are bigger and you don’t want to use them just use the OEM screws. They should fit fine.
    In fact, I’ve got a couple sets of Fender strap locks and they come with a wider threaded screw so I use the ones that came with the guitar.

nobis17 and Fendereedo like this.
  3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Schaller S-Locks

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I prefer the Grolsch variety. No modification required. I never used to undo the strap locks anyway. Only problem is if you're wearing a big hat that you might need to take off before pulling the strap over your head. I use them on all my guitars and so far they have been 100% reliable.
    [​IMG]

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too, installed with screws supplied, good fit, no drilling

6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The original screws, on one of the guitars I have installed them on, were smaller than the Dunlop screws. Rather than drill the guitar, I used the original screws. The head of the original screw was too large to fit in the center of the Dunlop button so I filed it down to fit. Actually I used the cement curb in the parking lot of the venue as a file. It was a get'r'done moment but all is well and the strap locks are still on the guitar... 5 years now.

The hardware store would have something to fit if you don't want to molest the original screws. The diameter of the screw head may need to be reduced to fit in the button though.

Drew617 likes this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Never had an issue, I have the same Dunlop SL's on each guitar. I also no longer keep straps on guitars when in cases or gig bags. Plus, as crazy as it sounds, I carry a spare strap LOL :)

Did you ever leave your regular every day strap at home when prepping for a GIG ?

I have and so have my bandmates. A spare strap is worth a LOT of money ! :)

Drew617 likes this.
  8. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I've used the recessed Dunlop's. Those aren't the ones you're speaking of, I'm assuming. I've put them on lesser expensive guitars, but I'd never put them on an older, vintage model. I've got a Squier white Strat that I put a Gilmour EMG set on and an SX 335 copy... nothing vintage.

9. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Yup, I use the Grolsch washers as well.
    No need to replace the stock strap buttons, they are dead quiet, Grolsch tastes good, and most importantly....they have proven to be the most secure/reliable option I've tried.
    Both the Schaller and Dunlop styles HAVE let me down, likely due to operator error while being in a hurry but STILL...can't happen with the Grolsch washers.

FYI...
    Fender offers the same washers in both red and black, or at least they used to.
    Around $5 a 2pk, IIRC

oldfish likes this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

BillFrisell.jpg
    And if they're good enough for him they're good enough for me!

oldfish likes this.
  11. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

get yourself some grolsch straplocks and treat yourself to the free beer they come with:D

Tommy Biggs and dukewellington like this.
  12. dukewellington

dukewellington TDPRI Member

I did the same thing. You get a free 4-pack with the strap locks, too.

13. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

3184D775-F060-49D9-8590-A442BEE4D57C.jpeg like he said ☝️Why wouldn’t you just use these rubber strap holders? No modifications necessary, they work.

14. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I used the silicone strap holders when ever I can and each guitar has its own leather strap. I prefer soft leather and black or brown to go well with each guitar. That is it’s strap till the strap is too worn. Some strap knobs are too short for the silicone strap holders and I use Dunlop’s strap locks. With these , the strap only comes off when it goes in a case.

15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

ya know Im not hanging a 5000 dollar guitar off plastic beer tabs thank you, Get some real damn strap locks pleeeeze!!!

The Schallers are good BUT the new ones have the screw as part of the lock and use a small allen to install them with. I didnt like that.

16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Pre CBS I wouldn't drill for the bigger screws. I'd put the rubber washers on.
    I have some version of straplocks on everything except my Martin - I use the washers on that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.