looking to buy need help on value please 72 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jjpish68, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Hello I have been looking at this 1972 Telecaster. I have not been able to see it in person as I am in MD and it is in TX. The owner has sent me pictures and the description below.

What would the value of this be based on the pictures and description. I have never made a purchase like this so my comfort level is not exactly high... Need some help on what it might be worth.

**Edit** What is tripping me up is it is not 100% original, not the original case and the routed body (which first thought was to not even entertain the idea)

Thanks For your help

Description
    Here she is. she is about 90% stock. The PG has been replaced, the neck pup has been either rewound or replaced with a another vintage tele pup, bridge, saddles, bridge pup original, you can see the route pin holes in the back of the body indicating pre cnc manufacturing, the neck was routed for either a humbucker or a Nashville setup, if you want to plug it it would be an $85 fix to fit an insert in there although thtere is nothing about the routing affecting the integrity of the body.

Neck is straight and true, truss rodd works perfectly. The wiring is all vintage correct. The frets are pretty much pristine except for some where around the 1st through 5th frets, typical with guitars used mostly for rhythm work. It comes with a vintage fender hard shell, although not the tweed. It is the black kind with Fender on the front. Apparently, the one I have is quite rare as it is the kind with the lettering painted in. Not sure how much that adds to the value but it looks cool lol. Im the second owner.
    Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
    Regards,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RobinMurphy

RobinMurphy Tele-Meister

Overall it looks like a perfectly usable guitar to me, but it has had some obvious mods in the past. The body route and some re-soldering clearly, but the tuners look like they have been replaced too (also when did Fender swap from the button Klusons to the squarer Fender ones?) and I'm certain the holes in the body aren't evidence of pre CNC machining, I've not seen that before on vintage or modern teles. As for the case, that looks like an 80s one which has just had the writing painted white. Neck stamp, decal etc. all look ok to me though. Being in the UK, I'm not sure of its value in dollars though.

3. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

I was suspect of the tuners as they look a little crooked to me.

4. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Without knowing values I'd say that in general, the replaced components etc would lower the price quite a bit. Have you looked at e bay sales?

I expect some anti CBS era comments to emerge here but there were good ones too, especially the early 70s. I've heard it said that the early 70s Teles were less negatively effected by CBS then the Strats.

That said, I'm a fan, I still have the 73 (my avatar) I traded for in high school. I modded it (reversible mods) to my liking while preserving the original parts. It has a nice chunky neck and hangs well with my other upper level modern Teles including a CS Nocaster, Kirn, AVRIs etc.

Like I said I'm no expert on values but for sure less then $2k. It bothers me as well that it's not local for you to try. Have you considered a national GC search so you have a trial period? Good luck.

5. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thanks 73 Fender. I have looked around at pricing but the mods and routed body is where I get lost. Not sure how much they take away from the value.

How this all started was I am selling my 2005 Les Paul R7 Goldtop on the Les Paul forum. He is selling this Telecaster to buy a Les Paul so a conversation started. He originally was thinking he wanted around $1900 for the Tele and I was asking 2600 for the LP Shipped and paypaled.

I had not intent on a straight up trade so he emailed me yesterday and asked how much cash he needed to put into the deal. I just have no idea based on what I know about the Tele and what I don't know as well...

This is the LP he is after: It's a 2005 Custom Shop R7 Goldtop Darkback
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Bothers me that there are no full pictures of the guitar. Seller hints at things that may or may not be true. I'd move on. If you're not totally sure there will more guitars.

7. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Thank You, that is what I was thinking was just looking for verification. In comparison I was looking at a 100% Original 1974 Stratocaster (exactly like the one I had for 15 years and had to sell a few years back and he was asking $2500 and said he would take $2100 if it was still available when I sell my LP.

8. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Is it just me or does the pg look like it was cut out of thin black plastic, like the kind they make folders out of? :lol: I would also suggest you forget about this one - why trade such a beautiful LP for something in that kind of shape? BIG gamble...

9. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

I agree was just looking for verification making sure I wasn't missing something. My initial thought was no, then I started thinking. I am not a "Gibson Guy" and would like to sell the LP and get another Telecaster and another Stratocaster. I have found both in the 62 AVRI line and if I get close to what I want for the LP I can have both.

10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Is this the same guitar with a thread on the vintage section titled '72 for sale - expert opinions wanted! ? The rout sure looks like it to me. If it is there are a lot of comments about this guitar there and on another thread titled Thoughts on this '72.

11. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Did not know that. I did not start that thread. I will go over and take a look.

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmmmmm, it looks like TeleTex82 decided to flip the '72 he bought.

I believe he said he "basically paid $500" for it.

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a 72 Tele, and it did not have bridge pieces like that shown, it had a 3-ply pickguard, and the tuners were not like that shown. I'd recommend that you pass on this guitar.

14. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Yes it appears he is trying to flip it.

15. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Quite a few mods there. I don't think I'd be paying top dollar for that one, but it's a perfectly nice 70s Tele that can be put back into vintage shape if that's what you're after. But, if you're just looking for a player, that would certainly fit my needs. Two different scenarios, though. Frets might also need some work.

16. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

17. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Yeah he did not like the idea of someone trying to verify what it was. Oh well wish him luck guess there is a sucker out there for it somewhere just wasn't me...

18. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

I might be completely off the mark here but didn't the Fender necks have the truss rod chrome bullet sticking out of the headstock end of the neck back in 72?

19. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

20. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

All of sudden, after comments from weekend Warriors and fat-arsed collectors, both pups are non-original and the tuners have been replaced.

Price seems to have dropped too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.