1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking to buy a bandsaw

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by bricksnbeatles, May 31, 2016.

1. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys, I need a bandsaw and since I don't have a huge budget I'm looking used. Does anybody have experience with the Laguna B40 16" bandsaw or the delta LR30211 28-203 14" band saw? Are either of these good quality machines that could be used with good results. What would either of these be worth? The delta comes with a fence and 32" slide extensions fwiw. (I've used delta in school and they seem pretty good, but I don't know this particular model. I've never heard of Laguna before tho)

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The Delta design is the foundation for many of all the copies of 14" bandsaws in the world. I have had one now for 30+ years. Other than a tire and steel guide block change, it's been perfect. I have the fence extensions and they allow me to not have a table saw and cut sheet goods. The additional height extension allows you to resaw up to about 11+ inches too.

When you click on Delta 28-203 on the website for manuals, this comes up:

http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Bandsaw-manuals/28-203.pdf

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179549-Delta-Bandsaw-28-203-is-it-a-good-saw

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. bricksnbeatles

Sounds pretty good then, I think I might go with that if I can knock the price down a little bit

4. bricksnbeatles

[​IMG]
    "Delta 14" Band Saw, Model LR30211 115V. The model number for the saw is 28-203 and the base which has the motor is 52-963 In excellent condition, limited use. Also includes Delta rip fence and 32" slide extensions, extra unused 10TPI blade and all the original paperwork (manual, parts diagram, etc...)"

This is the description from the listing and a pic of it. Is $600 a good price?

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you look on ebay, a few have sold for between 450 and 650 or so.

6. bricksnbeatles

Just picked it up yesterday. The woman selling it is a furniture maker (out of entirely reclaimed, kiln dried wood), so she had a TON of wood lying around (seriously, an entire garage was filled to the brim with really nice wood, along with a bunch of the rooms in her house). So she gave me 4 boards of highly spalted maple 1" thick! They're not big enough to do tops on a tele for, but they are big enough to do other full-scale body styles. I'll post a pic of the saw in my workshop, and the maple when I'm home.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  7. bricksnbeatles

[​IMG]

Yep I've got 4 boards like this, 12" x 15". What guitar bodies fit these dimensions? I know a tele is about 1/2" bigger each way and a strat is way too big. I'm trying to think of what I could use these beautiful pieces of wood for. I think one will definitely end up being a GL series Steinberger style headless.

8. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

How thick is it? Now that you have a good bandsaw, you can resaw it into bookmatched tops.

Edit: Oh duh, I just read the dimensions. Somebody should have some ideas.

9. bricksnbeatles

I might bookmatch one or two of them, but the one in the above pic, I definitely want to keep as a 1 piece top since it's got such nice spalting

DrASATele likes this.
  10. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Would you use the full 1 inch thickness for the top??

If not, and you do resaw the blank above, you can do a careful glue in splice on the two lower bouts (the only place on a Telecaster that's wider then 12 inches)

I've done this on two tops so far and depending on how you finish the guitar, you may not even see the splice.

If you look closely at these two tops you will see a splice on both bodies on the lower bout, both sides...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YMMV

11. bricksnbeatles

For at least one of them I'd use the full thickness to do a contoured top, but thanks for the tip, I'll do that on at least one of them. Or I wonder… since its a only around 1/2" too small, I could do a contrasting pinstripe of mahogany or purple heart down the center

asdTerror and DrASATele like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice score, if you make a 3/4 size guitar I bet it would look killer with a top like that.
    Pinstripe is a good idea too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.