Looking to acquire a 50’s Tele, what to be looking for

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by bxlgotham, May 10, 2021.

1. bxlgotham

bxlgotham TDPRI Member

Would be nice to play and then (someday, maybe) trade out of it without a struggle, seems easier with a very well maintained/collectible example.

aadvark likes this.
  2. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Get an airplane ticket an go to a really good dealer in Nashville or Los Angeles.

IrishB and aadvark like this.
  3. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

5e9c674c5631d11e3a1d14145c682f84_400x400.jpeg

4. IrishB

IrishB TDPRI Member

Actually this is great advice. I’ve taken the gamble on buying guitars sight unseen (good price) and for the most part have been lucky. But I’ve usually traded them for a guitar that I’ve played and just had to have. And those are the ones i still have.
    The 52 Tele and 59 Esquire I currently have are both refins - but I don’t care. Didn’t get them to make a profit as long as they make back what I spent

5. _Presto_

_Presto_ Tele-Meister

Is your 59 Esquire rosewood or maple board? I have one also (maple board) - post pics if you can, I always dig seeing others.

6. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

.... as a deposit.

7. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

I concur with the "go to Nashville or LA". My own personal preference would be to buy a 50s Tele that has an original, but refretted neck, original body finish and non original electronics, and perhaps nut.The refret and lack of original electronics would bring the price down while still retaining that which I personally want. What would your preferences be? Your priorities may be completely different. Pristine, all original? Totally different price point. Buy from a less reputable source? Entirely different game.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.