Looking for wiring diagram: 3-way switch; single coil in neck;HB in bridge.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's not a telcaster; it's a 70s or 80s Profile strat copy. It had a SSH pickup configuration: one Volume, one Tone control and a 5-way switch.

I've removed the middle pickup because I kept hitting the pickup with my pick. Yes, bad picking technique.

I want to set it up like a Telecaster with a 3-way switch, a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position. One Volume and one Tone control. No Push-Pull. I have a single coil from a Nashville telecaster that I'm putting in the neck position. I'm leaving the humbucker in.

I've seen various diagrams online but many have a Push-Pull on the Volume (?) or Tone (?) control.

I'd like to avoid the Push-Pull if possible.

I'd appreciate a wiring diagram anyone can point me to.

I just photos below.

Thanks. Jim

I'll be busy for the best part of the day will check in later.

Last edited:

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Photos
046C744F-C8CA-4577-A9A8-CA9BF956D87F.jpeg
046C744F-C8CA-4577-A9A8-CA9BF956D87F.jpeg
194242F2-EB8F-4B63-AD95-8CFC44E8E14A.jpeg
558C4BB9-6E30-46C3-8EFA-BA5771597337.jpeg

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
It's not a telcaster; it's a 70s or 80s Profile strat copy. It had a SSH pickup configuration: one Volume, one Tone control and a 5-way switch.

I've removed the middle pickup because I kept hitting the pickup with my pick. Yes, bad picking technique.

I want to set it up like a Telecaster with a 3-way switch, a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position. One Volume and one Tone control. No Push-Pull. I have a single coil from a Nashville telecaster that I'm putting in the neck position. I'm leaving the humbucker in.

I've seen various diagrams online but many have a Push-Pull on the Volume (?) or Tone (?) control.

I'd like to avoid the Push-Pull if possible.

I'd appreciate a wiring diagram anyone can point me to.

I just photos below.

Thanks. Jim

I'll be busy for the best part of the day will check in later.

You're very adamant that you don't want a push-pull, but it doesn't seem like you have any requests that would even require one in the first place Are you trying to split the coil? You're just doing a standard 3 way switch with one volume and one tone, but you have a humbucker in the bridge?

1656009201645.png

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You need to look at the wire colors for your humbucker and how they're currently connected through, because in all likelihood, they're not going to match that Seymour Duncan humbucker in the diagram that @Steve Holt posted. There's no real standard for the wire colors on humbuckers.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
You need to look at the wire colors for your humbucker and how they're currently connected through, because in all likelihood, they're not going to match that Seymour Duncan humbucker in the diagram that @Steve Holt posted. There's no real standard for the wire colors on humbuckers.

Yep! Meant to mention that but forgot.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If the current humbucker's wiring is not set up for coil split, then you use the same lead wires for your implementation of the Tele wiring scheme.

If the switch middle position sounds thin and nasal, the pickups are out of phase. Fix that by reversing the humbucker's two connections.

If you flip the neck pickup's leads, it will make the metal pickup cover live and you'll have a bunch of unwanted noise.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You're very adamant that you don't want a push-pull, but it doesn't seem like you have any requests that would even require one in the first place Are you trying to split the coil? You're just doing a standard 3 way switch with one volume and one tone, but you have a humbucker in the bridge?

View attachment 996995
Yes, Steve, just a standard three-way switch with the humbucker in the bridge position and the single coil in the neck poaition. No coil splitting. Trying to keep it simple.

Thanks for the wiring diagram. Jim

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"no real standard for the wire colors on humbuckers". Looks like I may have to figure it out by trial and error. Thanks for chiming in. Jim

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If the current humbucker's wiring is not set up for coil split, then you use the same lead wires for your implementation of the Tele wiring scheme.

If the switch middle position sounds thin and nasal, the pickups are out of phase. Fix that by reversing the humbucker's two connections.

If you flip the neck pickup's leads, it will make the metal pickup cover live and you'll have a bunch of unwanted noise.
Hi, Peegoo. Thanks for that info. Jim.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

View attachment 996995
Thanks for your help, Steve. I left the neck and bridge pickup in for now and wired in the new 3-way switch. Everything works fine and those pickups sound great. I'll soldereverything later. Jim

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thanks, Phrygian. I wired in the new switch for now to see if everything worked okay. Everything does. I left the stock pickups in and they sound great.I'll solder everything later. Jim

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Hi, Peegoo. Thanks for your help. I left the stock pickups in and wired everything up as per Steve's schematic above. Everything worked on the first shot. I'll solder everything later. The pickups sound great so I'm leaving the strat pickup from a Nashville Telecaster out for now. Jim

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hey, Steve Holt, Phrygian77 and Peegoo: there's so much info in your responses that I've bookmarked the page. I also have a partscaster Tele in the works so the above info from your replies will be invaluable. Thanks again. Jim