Looking for "the one"!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Trufil, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Trufil

Trufil TDPRI Member

I've been playing guitar for a while and am not very good. But that's ok. I try to play everyday because I really enjoy it. I have a handful of guitars, the usual suspects (tele, strat, LP, etc.), but I'm still looking for "the one". Lots of people say there is one guitar that is perfect for them (the sound, the feel, the look), but I haven't found mine yet. I travel a lot and it seems I've been in every guitar store in the US and have played many of their guitars. Still nothing.

Is it because my skill level isn't good enough to be discerning? Is the perfect guitar just a myth? Should I stop looking?

2. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

Well I'd say that your skill could have something to do with it. When you get to a level where you can just play and feel it and not think about what your doing you'll be able to find one with your mojo.

I'm not saying you can't find it now because you can. I played an acoustic Gibson with serious mojo about four years ago when I could play but nothing like now. Keep playing everyday and you'll find that magic guitar.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'll play the other side, I really cannot play guitar but I've been through about 600 of them. Even at my beginner level (after 13 years) I've owned probably 20 guitars that I could honestly say were "the one". I kept a few for awhile but me being me I always end up selling them. I will say this, almost all of those were partscasters that I built myself. The one that really surprised me was an LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81/85 pickups. I'm not a metal head by any definition, but that was just an incredibly comfortable and versatile guitar. The EMGs really really surprised me.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't believe the "perfect guitar" is a myth as long as you define it as "my perfect guitar". It's gonna be different for everyone. Maybe you just haven' found yours yet.

I've been playing for over 40 years. I started out on Fender Teles and Strats (original vintage ones) and then worked my way through a few Gibsons, a Jackson, a Carvin, and finally an Epiphone. It took a long time to travel that road but after all was said and done I discovered that a Telecaster was my perfect guitar. It just feels right.

I own several and they're all slightly different from one another but that's part of the joy of owning Teles. They're like a chameleon and can easily be altered a bit to get what your after tonally and yet it remains a Tele and it plays like a Tele. The right "feel" is the first thing I'm after. First and foremost it has to feel right. The rest I can alter but the "feel" not so much.

Stay on your search Trufil. Eventually the problem will resolve itself and you'll figure out what fits you best. When you do that's your "perfect guitar".

5. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

Perhaps the guitar has yet to find you?

6. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Just keep looking, you'll find it. It took me three years to find my Tele, I've been looking for "my" acoustic for 15 years, I'm going to build one with the guidance of a luthier friend of mine and see how it turns out, if it turns out terrible it will make good kindling wood lol.

It's just like finding the right woman, sometime, someplace, it just happens.
    Keep looking and don't worry about it, you'll find it.
    You're skill level can be a factor in that you might find one tomorrow that you absolutely love, so get it and enjoy it!
    But there may come a time that you "out grow" it and want another guitar, it happens.

But having a better instrument than you're skill level allows you to fully take advantage of really propels you to become a better player.
    It's been that way for me. Being a terrible player, having an incredible instrument, has helped inspire me to become an ok player lol.
    So don't let skill level keep you from going for a good quality instrument, you can always grow into it.

Happy hunting!

7. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure you can buy the perfect guitar.
    I had to build mine in the end and actually 5 before I figured out what I really liked.
    It was all in the neck for me and they just do not sell them like that.
    It definitely would not be for everyone but she's perfect for me.
    I think I may give up hunting for the right woman though.
    You're not allowed to build your own one of those...yet.

8. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

That whole "the one" thing is baloney, imo. There's just guitars that's easier to love, that's all. There are alot of great guitars out there. Just gotta find one that's comfortable to you and over time you will come to love it. One guitar does not define you as a player, unless you are an icon of some sort. It's in your playing that you are defined. A good guitar is one that does not inhibit one's playing, rather inspires it. I have played plenty that fit that description. But no one guitar will do it all so put that right out of your head cause it's some kinda myth. Just my $0.02.

9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I would say, keep trying the one you got first, why?, I bought Baja tele, absolutely struggled with it when I got it home and used it for a month, it then went in a cupboard for a few months. On bringing it out to PX I tried again, new strings (09/46 instead of the 9/42 on it) and it absolutely howled, I could not beleive how much better it sounded, and from there it did'nt get px'ed and has just gone from strength to strength, pairing it with a valve amp the odd pedal or two and just tweaking everything to get it to feel right, now I would'nt part with it for the world. I realise it may not work for everyone & every guitar but just dont give it up to soon.

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Enjoy the journey. I don't know where you will end up but along the way you'll have a lot of fun making music and making friends.

11. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Very well said and I have to agree. I have seen a lot of people waste a lot of time and money chasing gear. And after all, the gear is not the end but merely a means to the end which is music.

A good toneful (made up word) amp is every bit as important to making music if not more so than the guitar. Like guitars, there are a lot of great amps out there. I have settled on a Victoria hand wired 35115. Like with anything, I believe you get what you pay for but that is not to say that you can’t make music with anything.

I have a Tele, Esquire, Strat, LP, ES-335, and a Hummingbird. They all feel, play, look, and sound different. I’m anal about tone and like to keep it analogue. On the pedal board I have a compressor, overdrive, fuzz, delay, and reverb. All analogue except the reverb and I am thinking about replacing that with a tank.

I heard Phil X say in an interview that he practices aggressively each day and always challenges himself. I think that approach is the key.

Best of luck!

12. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have narrowed to a few that I like. Have been through about 30 to 40 over the last few years. Many moons ago I would play nothing but a Les Paul. Gave it up for 20 or so years and now I enjoy LP, 335, Strat and Tele style guitars. On any given day I like one over the other. I prefer the sound of humbuckers most days, and single coils on others. I have not found a perfect guitar, but am very happy with what I have. Find what you are happy with and just play.

13. rvansickel

rvansickel Former Member

The great jazz educator has always said to play the best possible instrument you can afford at whatever point in your journey.

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Play everything.... and forget preconceptions and prejudices. 'The One' might be a shabby-looking pawnshop find, or neglected closet dweller.

15. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I don;t think you should stop looking. But I do think that as your skill increases and your playing evolves, the guitar that will be "the one" for you may change as well. That's part of what makes playing and looking at guitars fun IMO.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For myself there is no 'the one" I just really like guitars. I've come to the conclusion that I like most of them so for me there is no "the one". I prefer the telecaster for most applications though.

17. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

^ This.

Finally found mine. I had played it 10 years ago and fell in love with it. The original owner decided to part with her after owning it for 35 years and offered it to me first. 1979 Les Paul Deluxe. ;)

Attached Files:

• LP1.jpg
      LP1.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  18. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The "One" came to me after playing hundreds of guitars. It was as much a learning lesson in understanding what I liked and didn't like in a guitar. It is different for everyone. My search ended when I found a 9.5 to 11 compound radius that was under 7 lbs weight. It was a 2011 60th anniversary model.

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THe Albert Collins signature tele I played for a gig 3 weeks ago (loan from a friend), was pretty dam' close to the perfect guitar

20. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

N' there you have it.

If you want to accelerate the quest, become more knowledgeable about the details of the guitar components in general.
    Rather than leaving it up to the hope of some magical encounter along the way.
    Learn to do your own setups etc..

For me, a recent understanding is that "scale length" matters a lot.
    I'm now on the hunt to determine exactly which scale length fits best.
    I now know 25.5" is a bit long, 24.75" is better and 24" is a bit too tight..

Neck shape will probably be my next bastion of analysis.

Can honestly say I owe this new found realization to buying a Tele..
    It's been a very cool phase of my journey.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.