1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for Tele pickup set that has a louder output but retains tele characteristics.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rich2k4, Jul 22, 2017.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I have two teles, a 2011 60th anniversary blonde. Not sure of the pickups in this one but I think the specs say American Vintage.

Second tele is a 2003 8502 American Ash. I think this guitar has unique pickups although I'm not sure the pickups are original since the bridge pickup doesn't have the white cloth that it is supposed to have.

Both of these guitars, in comparison to my strat sound very weak.

When I plug my strat into the amp, after the tele's, the volume difference is noticeable, everything is fatter, and it hits the front of the amp harder causing breakup.

The strat is a 1988 american standard. Not sure if the pickups are stock or not.

I prefer this louder sound and higher output, and never really liked weak low output pickups.

I am looking for tele sets that can bring my tele's up to the stratus level of output. However, I still want to keep the tele characteristics. I also want the volume to stay consistent when changing between neck and bridge.

I love when I hear for example, Joe Bonamassa playing a blackguard on youtube and the bridge pickup has that really raunchy raw growl. None of my tele's really get that sound.

The only time I have come across that sound in person was when I played a Whitfil telecaster. This was a couple years ago, and I don't even know what pickups were in the guitar, but it was a blackguard relic.

One thing I also loved about the Whitfil was that the volume difference between the neck and bridge were consistent. The tonal characteristics changed between the pickups, but the volume didn't.

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

3. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hi Rich.

I've been playing for nearly 30 years and only discovered this year I'd been doing it wrong. I used to have volume at 100%, tone at full bright, then get the amp set up to sound good. The problem comes when you change guitar to a lower output it can't make the amp sound like the first guitar did. It just sounds a bit weak.

When you set up your amp do it with the volume at 70% and the tone around 50%. Then adjust the amp to get that sounding right. Your amp will have much more tone shaping power than your guitar as it has a three or four section tone stack as opposed to the guitar's one. This means that your volume and tone can provide boost as well as cut which will level out the differences between guitars. This guy explains it well:

If you set up your amp as above with the Tele, your Strat will sound like a monster when it's running at full volume and tone.

That's how Joey B does it.

If this doesn't work there are loads of hot Tele pickups out there. I use a Schaller T6 (14.4k) in the bridge which I fitted before I worked out I was doing it wrong.

Hope this helps.

4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Lots of clean boost pedals out there, check some of them out, or even an EQ pedal.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SoulstormTX and FrontPU like this.
  6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Clean boost pedal, as above.

7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i would ask opinions about the Bill Lawrence microcoil set. very dynamic, loud and i would suggest the BL 5 way switch with it
    [​IMG]

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a boss GE7 for most clean boost needs. There's a lot of dB gain on tap plus you can boost or cut frequencies very useful when switching from eg a tele to Les Paul.

9. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Fralin Split Blade Hots

Slight to moderate boost. No mud. Maintains trad Tele tone.
    Noiseless.

SoulstormTX likes this.
  10. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

If you want greater voltage output, increased clarity, and strong lowend with no sacrifice to the highend, you should check out Bill Lawrence's microcoils as already mentioned. No need to install a five way switch, but you could use a small capacitor to add coloration to the degree you want in the upper mids, especially through the tone control. You can increase the voltage output 2-3x on the bridge pickup, and that's in addition to the increase you'll already get.

11. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

IMG_4755.JPG IMG_4933.JPG IMG_5006.JPG IMG_5086.JPG Noticed several people mentioned Cavaliers!! Rob DeStefano hand winds some of the greatest tele winds! Was going bonkers untill i got a set of his winds. The FAT LION & the LION KING NECK are the SH*T!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.