1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for suggestion for an acoustic to play old hymns and spirituals on

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Bunky, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

i can’t afford a Lakewood otherwise I’d buy one. I like loud, clear note definition, harmonically rich acoustics.

2. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

For that kind of thing, I would just go with a traditional dreadnought - there is one for every budget, from a 300 dollar Yamaha (great bang for the buck, honestly), to thousands and thousands of dollars for a high end Martin or boutique acoustic. I am not thinking, though, that it needs to be over-complicated.

ravindave_3600, Danjabellza and Bunky like this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

A dreadnought is a great choice for loud an clear, that’s the whole purpose to their design is projection. Martin has a newer design called the grand performer which is halfway between a dreadnought and a grand symphony. That would give you the volume and a little more note separation. The Taylor Grand Auditorium line is another spectacular choice for what you’re looking for. The grand auditorium is the only line from Taylor that I can/will recommend as it’s the only line from Taylor that I like in any way shape or form. And that said, it’s one of my absolute favorite acoustics I’ve ever played.

IdahoTeleMan likes this.
  4. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Do you want to be able to plug it in? Or just play it in the living room?

5. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Taylor has a budget line with plywood sides and back that run about $1200.

Breedlove has a Pursuit series that run about $500 and may be one of the better deals out there...

Used Takamine dreads from the 70's and early 80's are quite good and can sometimes be had inexpensively....

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

I’ll plug it in at church

Danjabellza likes this.
  7. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

A seagull would be a good option if you can find one of the sws, solid wood series, guitars. I picked up one of these a while back for $300 with hsc and onboard electronics

islander likes this.
  8. islander

islander Tele-Meister

As I see your up here in the great white north. I second the seagull line. I personally can't get past the headstock, but they are an amazing bang for your buck up here. I have yet to play one that I didn't think was a great price point. Made just around the corner from you really. Check them out at L&M

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Low Price, I believe Yamaha is the model for consistency.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  10. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

I used to have an Epiphone Masterbuilt dreadnought model that I should have kept. Good sound, all solid wood, good price.

11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure what price point you are comfortable with. I see new Lakewoods starting in the $1500 or slightly higher range. So that is out.
    Besides the Yamaha in the lower end, I have played (though not owned) things like Recording King and Gold Tones that sounded OK for what you are after.

At about $500 - 800 you can get lower end Martins, Taylors etc. Certainly used, but some new. At that same price point there are some pretty decent Alverez and Takamine guitars to be had.

Eastman instruments now makes really good sounding guitars (Chinese instruments. I first saw them as really nice sounding relatively inexpensive violins, then as mandolins). About $800 - 1300 today, but a LOT of guitar for the money.

Of course, you will also have to add in the cost of a pickup (if not already installed), and maybe an outboard pre amp as well. Fishman, LR Baggs and K&K will all set you back something like $250 installed for the pickup. More if there is an onboard amplifier. If you don't have the internal pre amp, you will need something like an LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI (IMO the best box that is not the absolute most basic thing you can have, but still not go overboard). That is another $200 (I believe they are 175-190 online these days).

Personally, with your budget, I'd look hard at Takamine and Alverez with built in preamp (think sliders on the upper bout sort of preamp) and pickup. Go play a bunch of those and see which one sounds best to you both acoustically and plugged in. you should be able to get something in the 800-1000 range new, think half of that used, if you look hard.

12. JohnnyDev

JohnnyDev TDPRI Member

Suggest you check out LAG acoustic guitars
    I have a model T66DCE, which I see can be had for as low as US$300 new
    Very good instrument for the money, IMO

13. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Then select it for how it sounds through a PA.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  14. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Yes, there's a big difference between how a guitar sounds in a nice room ---- and how it comes through a P.A. system. I bought my $900.00 Fender acoustic because of how good the electronics sound. (and the feel). I ONLY play it plugged in.

I bought my daughter an awesome $150.00 Yamaha acoustic. So much fun to play, sounds great -- but doesn't have a pickup. I play her guitar more than mine... I should put a pickup in it. (I hate those removable pickups some people use. Tried them for a few years.)

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Considering that you intend to plug it in, focus on good electronic pickup system.
    I'd definitely get a powered pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.