Looking for Strat Pickups / Guard

Jeru

Tele-Holic
The MIJ Squier Strat feels/plays GREAT. I'm not thrilled with the way it sounds right now.
I can get nice enough sounds practicing, but in a band setting it's just lost in the mix, in
pretty much any setting. We play cumbia, latin-tinged rock and norteno. I play mainly
lead. The bridge sounds thin and the whole thing lacks oomph, sounds dead. My main
guitar is a tele (partscaster) -- unfortunately I don't know what the pickups in it are,
otherwise I'd buy similar sounding pickups to those. That guitar sounds alive, hot, it's
got girth. Also, the strat needs a Mint Green Guard. This is ~40+ years old so I don't
want to disassemble the stock PG assembly. So friends, let's get to work.

The PLAN: buy a loaded guard. Whatever it ends up being, I'm going to rewire for single
volume / single tone (duh -- tele guy). I'm patient, will wait for the right deal.
Here's a couple options. Initially, I'm thinking that Fat 50's may be a good fit.
Any thoughts appreciated. THANKS.

MIJ Squier Strat - 1.JPG

Last edited:

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
In my opinion Fender's Texas Specials have a little bit of that Tele girth and grit going on, when compared to the clean, chimey tone that most purists look for in a Strat. Maybe that's why those pickups are so polarizing, and why I like them so much.

Jeru

Tele-Holic
Appreciate your replies.

- I did reach out to 920d.

- I'm no purist, so may well look into Texas Specials. Any opinion re: real/noticeable
difference between Fender's Tex-Mex ($99) vs. the CS Texas Specials (~$269)..?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have used Fender's Tex-Mex vs. the CS Texas Specials extensively. I like the Tex Mex a lot and have them in both my Strats now. $75 a set, not sure lately though. I'd take either set though, both are great. The Tex Mex bridge pup is a little hotter IIRC.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Had a few 920 d.
I feel like I am cheating, but, they are good to go...lol