Looking for speaker cabinet suggestions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Lavochkin, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:54 PM.

1. Lavochkin

Lavochkin TDPRI Member

At the beginning of this year I finished a Champ Micro and put it and the 8" speaker in an open back box I made with some leftover 12" x 12" x 3/4" plywood. To me it sounds great with the only comparison I have being the Blackstar 3 practice amp I have. I also don't know anyone locally that plays guitar.

I have some nice pine I would like to use to make a cab that is not the random "Well I already have 12 x 12 so I'll use that" type of design. So I have seen in various posts discussions about too small a cab sounding "boxy" and in too large a cab sounding "woofy". What???
    I tried googling for youtube videos of demonstrations of boxy and woofy cabs and got nothing. :) Is a normal Champ cab boxy or woofy or just right? I have a drawing that shows it to be 13 1/2" x 12" with the depth going from 7 1/2" at bottom to 6 1/2" at top. I would have to go about 2" deeper in depth (9 1/2" bottom to 8 1/2" top) due to the size of my chassis. Does this sound reasonable? Boxed.jpg

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Make the depth 10-11" max. Too deep is woofy and hi fi. The rest is not super important. A normal Champ cab is not great due to shallow depth if being picky, but then it's just a bedroom amp. 9-9.5 isn't bad. I think you can get pine board about 10-10.5 " and it's a great depth.
    I'd stick with 1/2 speaker baffle.

PhredE likes this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

What Schmee said.

And.. Avoid exactly equal dimensions too: Acoustically, you'll avoid standing waves if you have unequal x,y,z dimensions. So, a 12x12x12 (x = y = z) box should be avoided absolutely. A 12x12x10 box is better; but a 12x11x10 would be even better than the first two acoustically-speaking. **All dimensions as an example only**.

If you like a 'dead' / tight sounding cabinet you can fill it with foam/polyfill if desired. Some people like that, some don't. Just FYI.

There are some very good speaker 'calculator' type sites out there on the Net. You can plug your dimensions into those to get an idea of the parameters any given box design will yield. They can be nice to get good estimates of interior volume and similar stuff too.

Oh, also, perhaps the biggest and most obvious factor to consider is whether to have it sealed or open-back. I use a two-piece arrangement with mine normally. That way I have both options available.

Most of the actual sound of a guitar speaker is about the driver ('speaker') itself.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 3:29 PM
  4. Lavochkin

Lavochkin TDPRI Member

Thanks Schmee and PhredE, I think I'll try a deeper than originalChamp cab!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.