Looking for some professional advice

Mark617

Tele-Holic
I’m older, so take this for what it’s worth
Stability !
I like where I’m at, know my field well and can navigate. The last thing in the world I want to be, is the “ new guy” at 54 lol

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
My father was the boss of a huge Nationwide communications provider. He was a good man and many of his employees wept at his funeral. He gave me some advice once and only once. " Never play where you collect your Pay."

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Pretty similar situation for me a handful of years ago. I had gotten really comfortable at the company I had been with and resigned myself to being there for a long long time (had already been 11 years).

Then a friend there out of the blue recommended another company in town, her husband who I knew a bit had an in for me there. I wasn’t looking at all, but it seemed like a great opportunity for most of the reasons you mentioned.

It was stressful at first, I was scared because I had been very comfortable at the last company, so any bit of discomfort was magnified. But after a few months I settled in. Fast forward six years and I’m still there, and really really like the job, company, and team I work with.

Seems like you have a bit of interest, and you aren’t too worried about the job duties. I appreciate a “chill job,” to be honest. If you already have a friend there and it’s a pay bump, sounds like it’s worth a shot.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
In my experience, having a friend as a boss doesn't work out too well. I've found it to be even worse if the friend was a co-worker who was promoted to a boss position. It just seems like asking for conflicts of interest. In the end, most people will choose the company and getting paid over friendship. Some may take the fall with you though which may taint your friendship.

Financially, taking the new job looks good on paper. The question is the stability of the new company. You wouldn't want to jump ship only to have the new company go out of business, sell off to another company or go through a massive management shake-up within a year or so. I've had this happen a number of times and, looking back, it's amazing to me how many companies I've worked for that have disappeared, been absorbed into other companies or morphed into something else entirely.

OldPup

Tele-Holic
I don’t think anyone mentioned the prospect of a recession soon-ish. Unemployment is at an all time low, so I have no idea how it might impact the likelihood of finding a new job if you were laid off from either company. If you would feel safer at one company or the other, factor that in.

If you want to advance your career, don’t wait for a chill position to take time to improve your position. The earlier in life you qualify yourself for a better job, the more impact it will have on your life. The more you sock away now, the more time it has to grow.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Money lost is never money earned.

Give two weeks notice, let the company you are leaving know that you are leaving for more pay with the other company. That is all you need to say, don't start going into the pluses and minuses of insurance, benefits and such. Just tell them you are giving two weeks notice, that you had another company recruit you and they are offering more money to work for them than your current company.

You might be surprised to receive a counter offer from your current employer.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Money lost is never money earned.

Give two weeks notice, let the company you are leaving know that you are leaving for more pay with the other company. That is all you need to say, don't start going into the pluses and minuses of insurance, benefits and such. Just tell them you are giving two weeks notice, that you had another company recruit you and they are offering more money to work for them than your current company.

You might be surprised to receive a counter offer from your current employer.
I don't think the OP wants a counter offer.

Seems the new position with new learned skills and a chance to work under hot friend is the catalyst here.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
I don't think the OP wants a counter offer.

Seems the new position with new learned skills and a chance to work under hot friend is the catalyst here.

I think you give them the opportunity to counter. It's not blackmail. It's a courtesy. He's been there a while. He stayed when others moved on. There might be more dollar value there to the current company than you expect. If you don't ask...

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was once offered a location director position with a major audio visual services provider. The position was in a large high-end hotel in a major market.
Everything was better than where I am at now: pay, hours, title, benefits, retirement.
The reason I turned it down? Mrs. Roadie & I agreed the worst thing we could do to our then 16 y/o daughter was pull her out of our small town high school and insert her into a big city high school where she knew nobody and nothing about how to even exist in such a scenario.
Was I disappointed by not accepting a position I know I would excel at? Absolutely. Do I regret putting family first? None whatsoever.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I will contribute to the boss/ friend side of it. I worked for a boss who was a great friend and both of us knew what it meant if push came to shove, but thankfully it didn't, but what I will say is that we achieved great things in the job through our relationship, we worked well together and bounced ideas around which worked well.
If you have a similar working environment would it be possible to do good things for yourselves and the company, and being new to the company, it may give you some security with them.
Which ever way you go, good luck with it

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
How do the long-term prospects compare? Not just the immediate differences. Room for advancement and promotion? Company stability?

If there was an economic downturn, which position would be more secure? Are you giving up seniority to be the “new guy” who would then be more vulnerable to a layoff?

All things to consider.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
It sounds like a very “chill” job that will give me time to study or do whatever I need for whatever comes next.
IF, and I really mean IF, you are going to take advantage of that opportunity, it's a no brainer. If you're going to use the time to read comic books and play video games, that's a different story.

As far as loyalty, it's dead in America. I worked for a company for almost 20 years and when my last contract ended, no one, not even the HR department, whose job it was to help find employees new projects, lifted a finger to help me find a new position. Then they screwed me out of 2 weeks of my severance pay. My next company I was only with for two and a half years, but they were bought out and I received a call from my manager telling me that my employment was terminated effective immediately. He apologized, said he was informed only minutes before he was directed to inform me. That's loyalty in America today.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If there is ANY chance it will work, try it. What have you to lose? If you quit before you start, you'll be looking for a job. If the job goes belly up, you'll be looking for a job. If it works out, you just skip the looking for a job step.