Looking for some advice - reformed LP player looking for the perfect Tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blind Luck Music, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Blind Luck Music

Blind Luck Music TDPRI Member

I’m certainly not adverse to the idea - the one I was using with my instructor was magic - I’d struggle with my Les Paul, put it down, grab his Strat, and just fly. I think that mostly what I know is that I really appreciate the feel of Fender necks, and I like a lighter non-arch top. Past that, I really love the Tele shape, and I’m terrified of the amount of research that I’d need to do to figure out Strats even to the level that I’ve done so with Teles here. ;)

But it’s completely a possibility?

The Deluxe is right down the street from here, so that’s a good call. Also a good call on the 70’s Standards @LKB3rd - I think both are priced pretty well, and I thought might be worth a look. I know that’s kind of the ‘vintage bubble’, but I figured that if I find one of that age that I love, it’s likely only going up in value, which is appealing.

Blue Bill likes this.
  2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

3. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

You're facing the problem of a well loved guitar that is 70 years old.
    Right from the get go musicians started petitioning Leo for additional features, additional upgrades, minor changes.
    So many iterations of the telecaster is absolutely a blessing and a curse.
    You will likely be able to find one that suits you very well, but since you have 50 different versions to choose from you Might have to try all 50.
    Mid 70s was a set of low quality years the Late CBS years, very hit and miss, Many Okay, but low quality tonally and playing wise, only recommended for experts to screen.
    If you want to go off on a side road, Early CBS years included the 1972 wide-ranging humbuckers are loved by some LP'ers. Designed by Seth lover from Gibson.

I had very specific desires and was able to find nearly perfect telecaster's. I absolutely love the pinch harmonics that I can get from the fourth-generation noiseless at even low gain. That cinched the deal for me. Absolutely reminded me of my Pearly Gates.

Try and prioritize your top 3 or 4 features, out of the top probably 10 different variables you can find or have to deal with.
    I'm guessing for you. Feel free to rearrange and ignore me.

1. A little bit of heat in the pickups, tone may be number one. Which may include some sort of humbucker. But the bridge pickup in that steel plate is the Beautifully nasty telecaster sound.

2. Sounds like shape and feel of the neck is a close 2nd place, you've almost got that one narrowed down.

3. Your next learning curve will probably be the saddles, vintage twang 3 saddle, or more modern intonatable 6 saddle. It is subtle so I would not stress about this, but decide if you like slightly more twang or slightly less twang.

4. You also have to decide Ash or alder Body Ash offers a slight EQ boost in certain mid frequencies, alder is very even EQ.

5. Rosewood or maple fretboard, Just preference.

6. Keep your eye on fret height, Decide what preference you have. several versions. ( me personally I have jumbo frets on all 3 of my telecaster's.)

Enjoy the search it's a nice learning journey
    Good luck

4. Blind Luck Music

Thanks again, @Irondog - I appreciate the reply. This is a great set of questions!

I think you have it roughly correct - I know that I’d like a 7.25 radius and ideally a soft-v shape in my neck. That’s the main ‘known’.

I don’t know that I know enough about fret height to really know what I’d prefer there - I’m used to my Les Paul, which seems pretty easy to fret and is set up pretty well, so I’m really going for ease of use. I think most of the stuff I’ve played are all the more current medium jumbos, but like I said - it’s not something I know enough about.

That probably goes equally for material - I really have enjoyed the rosewood boards I’ve played, but I have no issues with the maple ones either. This is probably last on my list of concerns.

The same goes for the saddles. I’m a tech guy and a tinkerer, and my brain says a six-saddle bridge is the way to go. But my heart says a nice classic 3-barrel brass is key, and I am looking for a nice classic Tele.

I think that likely points me at an Ash body too, although I’m not particular one way or the other. I want sustain more than anything.

And pickups - this is similar to the bridge. The gear-head in me says a single and a humbucker would be best of both worlds, but honestly I want that nice classic Tele look and sound.

I think narrowing down the neck will point me in a good direction regardless, but I think my ideal setup is a three-barrel, single/single and an ash body.

Irondog likes this.
  5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome!
    A Nice Classic Tele. Hmmm... I've played G&Ls and Fernandez most of my life, got sucked in by the allure of the raw Studio LPs that gibby put out about 10 years ago and now I build mostly Tele types. I think, although you don't want a partcaster, a private build dialed into your wants/needs might get you what you want. Ron Kirn and a few others vendors here make some pretty awesome guitars from the reviews and videos I've seen. You should do some research in that area too, I figure if you don't want to build it yourself, but have a clear picture in your mind, why not have a pro build it for you? (That pro ain't me btw I'm not in the biz) just a suggestion.
    That said some of the Alnico G&L ASATs are exceptional, even certain years for the tribute models get high marks. The MDF pick up models are ok in my opinion, the semi hollow blues boy that has the humbucker in the neck (I have a 2008 version) especially the ones with the seth lover humbucker are super sweet sounding. But not a high volume kind of guitar as the Alnico bridge tends to squeal when your too close vol and distance wise from the amp.
    Good luck in your search!

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

There's no hurry. Go shopping- and play as many Teles as you can find, locally. This should give you a better idea of what a huge choice is in the marketplace and which features will work for you. Should be a lot of fun. :D

7. Blind Luck Music

LKB3rd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.