Looking for some advice on a Marshall DSL

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Clipp0, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Clipp0

Clipp0 TDPRI Member

I am having a no volume issue from the Ultra channel on my DSL. I recently changed all the preamp tubes out with JJs. It is a Dsl40c. This is not the Master Volume edition that recently came out.

Here's the tubes I put in
    V1 12Au7
    V2 5751
    V3 5751
    V4 12ax7
    I changed all of these looking for less gain. The amp worked fine, Ultra and classic channel after I installed the tubes. Played a couple of shows, no major bumps or drops to the amps. Normal wear and tear. Any suggestions on why I have no volume out of the Ultra channel all of a sudden? The classic channel is fully functional and sounds great! Looking for somewhere to start. Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Tried swapping the v2 and v3 tubes back?

switch light changing with button?

I have the newer version with 6 button footswitch. Not sure on switching on yours.

Tim S likes this.
  3. Clipp0

Clipp0 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your response. I haven't swapped them out yet. I will and report back.
    Yeah the ultra channel lights up, switches from green to red. No volume, very faint hiss.

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Are you saying that the volume drop happened after playing a couple of shows?

5. Clipp0

Clipp0 TDPRI Member

Essentially. I hardly ever use the channel and just noticed it. It did work fine when I tested it after replacing the tubes. The amp gets moved around twice a week at least. Always careful with it though. I've had the amp for 3 years now probably, with no issues at all.

6. Clipp0

Clipp0 TDPRI Member

I changed out the V1 tube which was a 12AY7 not a 12AU7 like I stated in the OP. The Ultra channel worked with the original 12ax7. I am going to keep the 12AY7 in V1 because of the way it cuts down the gain and sounds awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.