Looking for second OD pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jwmanz, Oct 2, 2019.

1. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Because the thread was only a few hours old. Why not just make your suggestion, rather than making a big issue of being the first one to make it?

2. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I use a Bearcat Blueberry. It was intended for bass but it works great for guitar. It is (for me) the best OD pedal I have and I have a bunch. To me all these OD pedals are pretty similar but as you start comparing them side by side you begin to hear subtle differences (like a wine tasting) and you begin to become aware of your own personal preferences. Enjoy the journey.

3. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I've been keeping an eye out for a Black Box and $130 to $179 seems to be the going rate. There's a 4 to 5 month waiting list so that doesn't help.

4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Boss SD-1. Sounds great stacking into a Timmy, or into a breaking up amp, or just by itself. It just plain sounds great and they are $50 new everywhere you look. No reason not to have one around.

matmosphere likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've had the Sparkle Drive and the Sparkle Drive Mod, and I liked them both ok, but I prefer less expensive 808 types, like the EH East River Drive and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive more than both of them. And on the Mod, I only liked the standard setting, and I wasn't fond of any of the mod settings.
    My current faves are the Joyo Vintage, and Timmy and Klon clones.

jwmanz likes this.
  6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Sorry, that was not my intention. I was just surprised, that’s all.

It’s not one of my favs but I think it would fit the bill and complement his existing gear well.

jwmanz likes this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I would recommend the following (in descending order):

1. Flintstone Labs Crinkle Cut
    2. Wolverhampton Electronics Express Drive IV
    3. Ramjet Ballsack

The fact that I just made all three of these up off the top of my head doesn't make it any less useful advice than anything else you'll get in this thread. There are a squizillion OD pedals out there, and most of them are just mild variations of a couple of circuits. The difference between my "must have" pedal and your "won't touch it with a 10' pole" is personal preference. It probably sounds like I'm being a jerk (and I probably am), but the only way to find what works for you is to plug some pedals in and rock 'em out yourself. I went through a fuzz thing a couple of years ago, and flipped about 20 pedals until I found about three that REALLY did what I wanted.

Go forth- though the journey may be fraught with peril and danger will be ever nigh, a stout heart and a GC credit card will win you glory and wenches. Or a box full of pedals, whatever.

stevemc and black_doug like this.
  8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Well said. This is all about trying things and seeing what works for you and with your other gear.

Although I kind of want a Flintstone Labs Crinkle Cut now.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

OCD.. it is bright, does not get muddy, very touch responsive and amp like and can respond well to a boost in front. Works great across its full gain range from light to heavy dirt.

I hate the mix of clean and dirt in most TS type ODs.

The OCD is a high gain amp in a box style pedal.

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

+2 on the Crinkle Cut.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I just ordered a Nobels OD1-R too stack with my BD-2, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Wampler Paisley Drive (non-deluxe version).

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have a Timmy and stack it. The Timmy is very open and organic, so I suggest going for some kind of TS style. Along with a regular TS9, I have the Earthquakes Dunes pedal, which I think is awesome.

14. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Klone > Timmy

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

So many great options here. Thanks for all the feedback. The OCD has been on my radar for a bit and should look more into it.

Anyone have experience with the TS mini? Looks like they are going for ~$50 used on Reverb. Hard to beat that price.

What are some good blues breaker pedals. I don't want to get into how people feel about JHS, but are the other options than the Morning Glory for a blues break style pedal?

16. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Keeley 1962x is a Blues Breaker amp in a box.

17. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Chicago srompworks sell a blues breaker clone that is inexpensive and those guys rule.

The joyo ultimate overdrive is a dirt cheap clone of the ocd. It sounds good but is not as reliable.

Jakeboy and kevsonic like this.
  18. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I use a TS mini into an OCD in my rig, never used the Timmy although I would like to, either pedal could work well. buy them used and try out a few combinations, sell the one you don't need.

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've had the OCD and I feel like it's kind of pointless if you're running the amp on the edge of breakup or already dirty. Don't get me wrong the OCD is a super high quality product it's just not necessarily for every amp.

It has WAY more gain than needed for that application. Just makes for a muddy mess. I don't know if it matters for the OP but the OCD has a healthy amount of bass too so your amp better be able to handle that.

I never really heard the OCD described as "amp in a box" but it certainly has enough gain to be an amp in the box type pedal. It seems like it's a way better option if you've got a really clean high headroom amp like a Fender and you can't turn the amp up loud enough to get the amp breaking up on it's own.

I've had several other high gain drive pedals like the OCD too.. if the amp is already on the edge of breakup then you're going to end up running an OCD or similar with the gain way down around 9 o'clock to get as little gain out of the pedal as possible. Otherwise it gets muddy with too much pedal gain mixing with too much amp gain. Then you eventually look at it and realize you don't need such a high gain pedal cause your amp already has lots of gain and so a low gain OD or clean boost is more appropriate.

I think this is really a case of what your amp is like. A Filthy Marshall, Blackstar, Orange, etc.. is an extremely different case than a Fender. I've never seen a Dr. Z in the real so I really don't know what the OPs amp is like.

jwmanz likes this.
  20. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I suggest heading over to the Dr. Z forum if you haven't already. There may be a helpful thread there by Cure owners.

jwmanz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.