Looking for second OD pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jwmanz, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

I'm looking for suggestions on a second OD pedal. I would like it to stack well with a Timmy. I'm looking for something that can give me some nice saturation, but not get real muddy. I play a stock '14 American Standard Tele into a Dr. Z Cure (6v6 based amp). These days I'm playing mostly modern worship music in a church band. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

A Klone with some color to it? OD stacking is like a venture into being an alchemist. Theres so much potential, lots if variables, and random surprises abound.

Deebs3 and 57fenderstrat like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

Try a Bluesbreaker type. I won't mention the bad word "Jay Aeych Ess"

E5RSY likes this.
  4. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Ooo boy so many overdrive choices out there it can be daunting haha. I would said Klone, it is the best friend of single coils and should be explored at least once.

Walrus audio 385 drive is fun and has some really powerful eq knobs. It is a really fun pedal for chords too. Lots of great lower gain sounds yet there is a lot of gain on tap. If you turn every knob all the way up you kind of get this weird fuzzy tone that kind of addicting too.

Those are my picks but there are way too many overdrive pedals to choose from, tons of good ones so you can’t go wrong.

dreamingtele likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Do you play your Dr. Z setup totally clean or do you put it on the edge of breakup?

All these pedals do different things depending on what the amp + guitar setup is.

It really depends on what you've already tried too.. but I would start trying the common suggestions:

- Tube Screamer type
    - Klon(e) type
    - Bluesbreaker
    - Boost/Clean boost type
    - treble boost

Really hard to say.

57fenderstrat and RetroTeleRod like this.
  6. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

I run a zendrive fairly clean (vol and gain at 11 [all numbers are in 'o'clocks'], voice either at 11 or 2 and tone on full) then push that with a klone (tone at 12, gain at 9, volume at 1-2ish) before it to add in some nice saturation. That sort of sounds like what you are looking for, and I have seen a lot of people stacking the timmy and the zendrive. Maybe give the zendrive a go?

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

1) Snouse Black Box 2 (Bluesbreaker clone) - $100

2) Rimrock Mythical Overdrive (Klon clone) - $165

3) Chicago Stomp Works Mr. Vermin (Rat clone) - $80

And yeah, yeah, yadda, yadda, a Rat as an overdrive? Yup.

Hiker likes this.
  8. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Demon Pedal OD Tube Screamer Clone. It Has both options for the old vintage circuitry TS9 and TS808 switch. $25 bucks or so. I have two of them.
    1.600x600.jpg

leonard d rock and POS Guitars like this.
  9. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

@beninma I like to play with some breakup or edge of break up. That works if I keep the gain on the Timmy low. But if I start raising the gain on the Timmy I don’t like the result. So a long answer to say that depending on the moment I run my amp clean or on the verge of breakup. I also have a few delays and reverb coming after the OD.

10. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Since a few of you have recommended TS style pedals would you recommend the Sparkle Drive Mod? Seems to do the TS thing plus a few other options.

11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I say the same thing every time because I feel like no one else does:

DOD OD250

I have a Chicago Stompworks version, a friend has the Earthquaker Grey Channel and I've tried the reissue at a shop. All worth considering.

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

They never seem to come out and say it but most of these ODs are not intended for us folks who run the amp on the edge of breakup.

The Timmy works for you cause AFAICT it is relatively low gain.

Running the amp dirty basically implies you should go with a clean boost or set the OD up with minimal gain and higher volume.

Running the gain high on the pedal is for the folks who run their amp clean basically.

And then there are those of us with multi-channel amps. The two channels want pedals setup differently so it's whole extra complication.

People talk about this online but I'm not sure why it took me so long to really understand it. The guitar & amp & setup of it all affects how the pedal sounds a lot too.

The Tube Screamer works fine for me on either channel of my amp with my Tele. Certain settings on the clean channel it will sound "honky".

Klon(e) for me on my amp works great on the amp if it's set near breakup. But if the amp is clean I really don't like it with my Tele as it's even honkier than the TS.

I have a borrowed Strat right now.. it is really noticeable that the Strat has less midrange than the Tele. It really affects how the Tube Screamer sounds, the TS is much less likely to get the honky sound with the Strat. I need to try the Klon(e) with the Strat.

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

klon klone.... the Archer is what I got... sweet

zippofan likes this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Blackstar HT overdrive. A valve based pedal that saturates and rings in a very pleasing manner. It has internal circuitry to generate the interesting voltages. There are a number of models in the range, Youtube can help you decide if one would be suitable for you.
    Something along the lines of the Valv-E-Tiser. A stomp box sized pedal with a 12AX7 or 12AU7 doing the business. Again, internal circuit wizardry to kick the voltages up. Home build, but not tricky.
    Laney IRT. Don't be fooled by the Ironheart moniker. It can do so much more. Using it as an overdrive barely scratches the surface. Again, a high voltage feed.

Don't laugh. Behringer VT999. OK, it's a starved plate device and the stock valve is an awful match, but, swap that monstrosity for a Sovtek 12AU7 or NOS/UOS 12AX7 and it comes alive. It's basically a clipper with a very effective tone stack and a passable noise gate. Pretty good on its own, but stacks -very- nicely. If it had a boutique name and marketing that implied it was bathed in siren tears, blasted dry by sparklefarting care bears and sold for four times the price, folk wouldn't knock it.

Moving away from valves, Danelectro overdrive pedals are to a unit, worthy. From the cheap, plastic FAB through the older metal cased to the new Billionaire range, Danelectro shoot and score.

Blackstar LT Dual. Two overdrives in one.

Get on Ebay and seek a Klon clone kit. A Centaur for chump change is not to be sniffed at.

Mooer, Tom's Line, Aroma and other Far Eastern mini pedals offer a cheap route into a grind packed pedal board.

15. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

My favorite OD is the TC MojoMojo. It is very versatile. You can use it as a boost, OD and even as Fuzz

PARCO likes this.
  16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I just ordered, and should receive tomorrow, a Way Huge Camel Toe, which is a WH Green Rhino (TS variant) and a Red Llama in a dual overdrive configuration. Either one of those should be worthy of consideration.

17. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Timmy + Xotic BB is a match made in heaven

Other excellent complements include:

• Klones
    • Barber Direct Drive
    • Rat
    • A Fuzzface placed before Timmy
    • Blue Note
    • Prince of Tone
    • Other Bluesbreaker-types (PoT sounds different enough to me that I tend to think of them separately)

Really, there's not much that Timmy can't pair with successfully, including another Timmy!

18. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I have a Barber Burn Unit EQ. They are discontinued but still come up for sale on Reverb and Ebay.
    [​IMG]
    It is a 2 channel od. So, you can get tweed crunch, just a boost, Modded Marshall, Dumble. It is very versatile and made with great components here is the USA. It is the most amp like pedal I have ever used. Doesn't sound flabby on the bottom end at all.
    A lot of people like his GC Gain Changer (American) and Direct Drive (British) pedals.
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/

Daytona.57 and kevsonic like this.
  19. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

How has no one mentioned the OCD?

I’d try that, a blues breaker, an or a Rat (it may surprise you at low gain), and maybe a klon.

Ultimately I’d try a couple things and see what works for you.

Will say it doesn’t get much more saturated than a Rat though. It may seem like too much, but don’t be afraid to back off the dirt.

mfguitar likes this.
  20. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I love that thing. It's absolutely the cornerstone of my board. OP would get good use out of the Small Fry version, alternately.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.