Looking for second analog delay

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by juxtapolice, Nov 19, 2016.

1. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

i put together an all analog board (save the delay) recently and I just love the tone. I recently, after a departure into some more advanced digital delays, put an ad999 on the board and voila, that's the sound I want. I can't work around the sterility of even the most accoladed digital units like strymon, I love the filtering (or perhaps that isn't the right word) of an analog unit, the type I can leave on all set. Now, I'm in the market for a second analog delay that is a little more feature laden than the Maxon, since that is set almost exclusively to slap/always on. It doesn't have to be nuts just something that is more of an effect when I need it. Was considering the way huge supa-puss, anyone have experience with those? All recommendations welcome, but sticking with analog. A few preferences: quiet/buffered or buffered option/modulation would be nice but not necessary. Thanks!

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I have a MOOG Minifooger Delay for 1 of my 2 Delays.

And a MOOG MF104M

MINIFOOGER is great, and has really nice rich delays/repeats. Hard to beat IMHO. Also Handbuilt in Asheville, NC. USA.

While I know neither delay will be the real deal Echoplex EP2/3, I do use a Real Deal Copy ( Secret Preamp ) for both the early EP2/3 preamp, and the later 70s EP3, to give a simulation.

The MOOGS also do a good/great Tape Echo, and the preamp for sure adds to the sound of the effect.

Kyle Chase makes 1 that uses ALL of the Exact Same NOS Parts that were used in the most sought after of the EP3s. Not all of them were the same. This pedal basically enhances Upper/Lower Harmonics depending on toggle position, and only a Slight 3db-6db boost, I cant remember which, but it is subtle but very apparent harmonically. Its not like other EP3s you see that can boost the signal pretty good. This 1 doesn't do that. But is Harmonically Rich.

I believe technically the EP3 had the preamp before the delay, so I run it before the delay for this purpose. I actually have 2, and run 1 first in the chain, and 1 at the end.

Minifooger also has an EXP jack to control Time/Feedback.

I have the MF104M Super Delay, MF104M Delay, MF 102 Ring Modulator, Minifooger Delay, Drive, Tremolo, Chorus. I really like the MOOG stuff.

I also like, and cant live without the Drive feature. It spoiled me. Very useful, and it different than running an outboard Drive with a Delay. Although you can do both. The Internal Drive is a must for me now. Can also be used as a stand alone Drive.

DRIVE- A pre-delay circuit that provides greater than 22dB of gain to both input and delayed signal. At low ranges it is excellent for creating subtle boost and mild tonal coloration. At middle position the sound becomes more mid-forward and punchy. At its maximum position, you have an incredibly natural boost/overdrive in your delay pedal that is great by itself, or paired with an MF Drive.

EXPRESSION PEDAL INPUT: When assigned to Time, this input allows you to create everything from chorus/flange effects and tape delay to monstrous pitch shifting. When assigned to Feedback, this input allows you to swell in and out of infinite feedback loops and subtle delay trails.

• True Bypass

• 700ms of Bucket Brigade based analog delay

• >22dB of classic drive for boost and color

• Feedback range from zero to infinite

• Expression pedal input provides control of Time or Feedback

• Mix control allows dry signal to be completely eliminated

• Over 300 carefully selected components

• Vintage compander circuit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Thanks for the response and information, I actually had been considering the Moog mini, sounds great in demos

4. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

+1 on the minifooger

5. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

malekko ekko 616, echo puss, deluxe memory man

juxtapolice and bottlenecker like this.
  6. DavideBassista

DavideBassista Tele-Meister

I love my Boss DM-2W. I also have an all analog signal path.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    juxtapolice and Chicago Matt like this.
  7. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

DMM

juxtapolice likes this.
  8. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Xvive is coming up with a mini version of their take on the DMM. It has modulation and 600ms of delay.
    Looks promising.

juxtapolice likes this.
  9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I like the malekko 616. Modulation on/off, depth, and speed controls are on the top and easy to adjust.

juxtapolice likes this.
  10. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I was also heavily considering this, i like that there is a longer delay option.
    Im curious about this too. DMM seems like the best sound but i dont have space for an original, ill look into this

xjazzy likes this.
  11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

still mulling building a dmm with the xvives on a madbean pcb

12. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I kind of like the Carbon Copy bright .... Well because it sounds more like a digital. An analog is OK if it is a 2nd delay and you just want to slop up your sound with a bunch of whacka whacka slap back grease but my main delay has to be high fidelity. Digital Delay is most critical for pedal steel. In steel you can get by with washing the guitar in verb and delay but with guitar it works against you in a band setting. A steel just sounds bigger and you have tons of clean headroom and you are playing a lot of what are essentially pads. Guitar sounds smaller and needs more definition.

In Country you do dotted 1/8 single repeat tricks where you get 2 notes for the price of one. It don't work if the repeat note does not sound like the original.

bottlenecker likes this.
  13. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The DM-2W has a switch for longer delay times and a nice warm tone. Might be worth checking out.

DavideBassista likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are your really looking for a feature laden AD?
    Or just another one to set more extreme and think some extra features might be nice in case you want to explore them?

I ask because ADs are more limited by modern chips while at the same time some are more expensive because of extra features.
    If you don't need as many "features" you may end up with a pedal that costs more but doesn't sound as good.
    In terms of the Way Huge, I have not tried the supa-puss, but bought an aqua-puss and found it quite dull next to my Maxons.
    I suspect Moog is another one who can have custom made proprietary chips like Maxon, that sound better.
    It seems that various problems with commonly used cheaper new chips are not immediately apparent, like headroom and distortion, which might sound "warm and chewy" at first but get tiresome later when you start to notice their limitations.
    Mike at Analogman was planning to spend $100,000. to tool up some proprietary BBD chips, destined for a new V2 Choralflange, but it didn't happen for some reason. The same vintage BBD chips were used in flangers, chorus' and delays.
    I have a nice sounding V1 Choralflange, and you cannot run much in front of it without causing chip distortion. I also wish it was brighter, but that's another story.
    I'm not sure that Dunlop/ Way Huge is as interested in best possible sound as Maxon and Moog. My ears say no.

If you really want features like modulation, you probably need to take a shot, but if the sound quality of your AD999 is the big attraction, you may want to google "best sounding AD" and skip the features you don't really need.
    The Maxon AD900 probably gets the most votes for best sounding among AD nuts, but is out of production due to lack of the chips.
    I like my AD999 Pros and AD9 Pro more than my AD900, but mostly because I love the multi tap feature, with one extra "head" on the AD9 Pro and three extra "heads" on the AD999 Pro.
    Multi tap heads are not modulation, but they might get you whatever "something extra" you're hoping for without going to a lower basic sound quality that many current ADs share.
    I don't know about all the other expensive AD brands, but most use the same off the shelf lower quality chips and do the best they can with them.
    Adding modulation might make clock noise, distortion, and indistinct sound disappear pretty effectively.

I had a nice echoplex, and later had some digital EP emulators, and find the "modulation" simulation of badly adjusted EP with worn out tape to be something I was not looking for.

AFAIK, when pros used tape delay, they preferred to keep them in good working order, and were not looking specifically for worn out tape and cracked pinch rollers as exemplary of the EP sound.
    Not that modulation is bad, it's just not "the EP sound".

I'd love to try a Moog delay, but have too many high quality ADs and not much play money.
    AD is oddly enough quite varied in sound quality and character, so it's worth buying some different used ones to hear what you might like.
    The out of production Maxon AD80 is dark and fat but not really distorted or muddy, and they can be found for around $100 if that sort of sound interests you.
    The AD9 Pro is surprisingly good sounding, but the single multi tap feature is less interesting/ organic/ cool than the AD999 Pro three taps in 3/8, 4/8, and 5/8 time.
    I still use the AD9 Pro the most just because it's smaller, but like the 999 Pro better.

There are so many ADs out there and every one has some rave reviews, even the crappiest ones. Vintage has its place but to some degree over the years AD circuitry advanced as BBD chip quality retarded, and some vintage units were noisy or had clock noise (clock noise I read about and can't say I've heard).

Hey, you asked!

15. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

The Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter is a nice take on an analog delay pedal. It has tap tempo and adjustable/switchable modulation that can add some subtle colouring as well as coax some crazy chaotic sounds if dimed.

16. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer TDPRI Member

Big Box DMM

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Look under the bed or behind the boots in the front hall closet. That's where I always find the stuff I'm looking for. :D

18. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, here are some things I'm considering in features...

What I like a lot about the ad999 (I haven't tried a ad900 or pro) is that it instantly sounded bigger and fuller when I was ab'ing next to other delays, particular the digital varieties (echorec, empress tape, belle epoch...). I had and sold a Brigadier because, even though it sounded convincing enough, it didn't feel it. My amp is always a little gained and I don't use an effects loop so that's another attraction of analog for me. Modulation, tap tempo, Etc come second to sound. What is important is that it does something different than the ad999, that I'm using as an always on. I want this delay for atmosphere, chords, spacey leads, and more psychedelic sounds generally. It just has to have that big feel of a good analog and ability to take a drive naturally. So I may check out the ad9pro since another big maxon might be too much for my board. Also quieter the better, my Z's ef86 tube picks up and amplifies everything. Thanks again

19. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I've had an Analogman dual delay (ARDX20) on my board for several years now, and I love it. It's a great sounding bucket brigade analog delay, like your Maxon or a Boss DM-2, but it has two sets of controls you can toggle between with a footswitch. So you can dial in a slapback and a longer delay, or two different long delays. It also has an effects loop, if you want to put other effects on just the delayed signal. I never use this, except it can be really useful to put a volume pedal in the effects loop to adjust the prominence or volume of the repeats--sort of a manual ducking delay. It also has an expression pedal jack for adjusting the delay time.

Analogman used to sell a box called an Amazeo that is a digital controller to the delay. The sound signal remains analog, but the Amazeo box adds tap tempo and modulation. I've never tried it. I don't think they're available new anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.