1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for recommendation on strings

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Kerry Vance, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years now and recently picked up a Danelectro bass. I plan to use it for recording more than anything. Now I'm looking for recommendations for strings. I remember reading an interview with Joey Spampinato of NRBQ talking about how he thought the Danelectros sounded more like an upright than any other basses. And it seemed like he talked about using flatwound strings. That's the sound I'm looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations -- all things considered - scale length, etc. Thanks in advance.
    Kerry

2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Lots of good choices...

I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my P-bass and really love them. They're a little pricey these days, going for around $40/set from Juststrings.com.

Based on Rob DiStefano's recommendation, I bought a set of stainless steel flatwounds from webstrings.com, cost me $15 shipped. I got them for a project bass which isn't finished yet, so I can't comment on their quality, but the price sure was right, and Rob seems to dig them...

Also well thought of are GHS Brite Flats, which are groundwounds (round strings leveled off after winding).

Cheers, Tim

3. Synchro

Synchro Tele-Meister

I've heard that tapewounds are good for this too.

I believe that Fender makes a set of steel strings that are over-wound with nylon tape and are supposed to be good for getting an upright sound. I believe the part # is 9020.

4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I am a big fan of the TI flats as well, and have them on my P, Rick, and Fretless J. But some people don't like them because they are relatively low tension. Because of the price, I'd ask around to see if you can find someone with them strung on a bass and ask to try it. If you like them the price is not that bad - they last a very long time. (I think the set on my P-bass is around two years old. Sounds great and the intonation is still fine.)

5. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

I have yet to play an inexensive bass string that sounds decent, intonates and lasts ... 25 to 30 bucks is about the floor, which makes Jazz Flats sort of a mid-priced string.

I'm not real high on tape wounds. They do have a good 'thump' but on my basses, they aren't 'woody' sounding. JF's are, D'Addario Chromes are ... I don't think Chromes are available in a short scale length JF's probably are. TI seems to cover more scales lengths than just about anybody else.

Me ? I'm not confused - bass strings are supposed to be 34" ... only kidding. I'd be really interested in hearing your Dano recorded. When you get there, a few clips would be cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.