Looking for proof of thick finish on the classic vibe series.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Jan 14, 2016.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I keep hearing about thick plastic finishes on the classic vibes but have never seen a pic to prove this.
    Every CV I have played had a thin finish. I have played MIJ CIJ and even AVRI guitars that had a thicker finish.
    What gives ?
    Can someone provide a pic of a thick CV finish?

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

stupid thin...

in order of thinness this is how I rate my Teles
    from thin to thick
    CIJ 2007 model
    Squier CVC
    MIM Classic 60s
    Squier VM Cabro
    Brazilian Super Model
    52RI 2007 model

[​IMG]

3. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure my CVs have a polyester finish. Poly should give a thicker finish than urethane or nitrocellulos although it does matter how it's applied.

4. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

My CVC burst has very thin finish on it

5. fanouristzouras

fanouristzouras TDPRI Member

It actually is pretty thick, my friend. I found out the hard way , when a piece of iron accidentally fell on the body of my CV VB and completely took out two (thankfully) small chunks of the finish. I put two pieces of white sticker on them .You can see the pine wood underneath, which is quite beautiful , I might add !!! [​IMG][/IMG]

6. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

As it often is, thickness of finish vary. It does even in my 5 CVs.;)

CVC -thin
    CV50 Tele -thin
    CV 50 Anniversary Strat -thin
    CV50 Strat -thick
    JMascis Jazzmaster -thick

7. Beleyr

Beleyr NEW MEMBER!

I dropped my CV50 Tele yesterday, the finish is very thick on this one.

Plus I have no idea how I'm gonna fix this, I already had 100+ advises from people. Just gonna leave it there and hope it doesn't get any worse ....

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm kind of thinking, what does it matter? Why does anyone need to prove or disprove this to the OP? Just curious.

I have the Classic Vibe BSB and to my way of thinking, it's got a really thick finish; don't know if I have any pictures that will "prove" that - or disprove it - or if I care to take any. I mean, what's it to you? Seems like there's a fair amount of statistical variation - the sunburst finishes seem to be thinner, by a number of accounts, and the BSB's, from what I've heard are somewhat thicker, but might vary.

If a person is that interested, just have to work with a particular guitar and not rely on anecdotal evidence.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No proof of thickness since mine is quite unmarked despite a few careless knocks.

But I wanted to comment about the endless nonsense that's talked about thick poly finishes and wood breathing and light wood and ultra thin nitro and all that conflated hyperbole when I consider that My cheap CV BSB is very resonant and I can feel every note through the body. It chimes and sustains and sounds great.

It LOOKS like it has a thick overcoat of Poly. So it probably has. It has a comparatively heavy body. All the "wrong" things supposedly. is it the pine that makes it so good? Something sure is right. If it IS the pine, then why is it so unused generally in guitar manufacturing?

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Not sure, but usually pine is soft, easy to damage. Perhaps that is an important reason not to use it.
    I like the way it sounds as well, my CV resonates very good as well.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I heard about the softness too. Maybe that's why, if true, the poly and thickness is right for it. The Poly and weight thing not impinging on tone and resonance was my point.

I always used to think no using pine was due to the big dark knots in the wood and people not accepting that under a finish.

12. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Common sense would tell you that a thick coating of plastic must damp the natural resonance of the wood, but experience often tells you otherwise. My MIJ strat has thick poly and it sustains for days. Maybe because the polyester coatings are comparitively hard, they're not all that detrimental to tone after all. Tooled leather, now - that's got to be a tone killer.

13. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Had the plate off my CV BSB today, and around the screw holes it was evident that the poly finish is pretty thick - 2mm + at a guess.

14. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

From nicod98:
    I agree, in terms of durability alone pine seems like a poor choice for a guitar body. It may have good qualities in the tone and weight regime though? My BSB is actually surprisingly heavy for a pine body guitar, not sure why, or exactly what species of pine they're using in the Chinese factory. The neck is quartersawn though, and that may be a factor in the resonance many report that these guitars have. Someone else reported that their BSB neck was quartersawn with the same gorgeous rays maple and certain other woods exhibit when quartersawn. The rays are most visible on the headstock/fingerboard and also show right at the apex of the curved back of the neck where the growth rings are perpendicular to the surface.

My BSB appears to have a thick finish, I seem to remember reading that it's a polyurethane somewhere. It's certainly glossy, and a thick finish is simpler to safely buff out without risking exposing bare wood. Beleyr, you might want to seal that ding with something to prevent moisture penetration and staining/discoloration. Some clear nail polish (essentially lacquer) or super glue. Nail polish is easily removed with lacquer thinner (nail polish remover) if you blow it. Neither should affect polyurethane. Super glue is Dan Erlewine's ding fix fave, but be careful not to get it where you don't want it.

Attached Files:

15. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

It's a thick finish but is well applied so they don't have the "dipped in plastic" look.

16. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

two stage epoxy that comes in the two tube syringe. squirt some out, mix well and apply to area, let dry and sand gently.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Or drop fill with super glue gel, then sand/polish. easy fix. Maybe dab some light oak stain on the bare wood first, if you want to match the tinted poly.

I saw a CV50 VB in Sam Ash with a huge gash years ago, finish was pretty thick, but that might be a good thing, over pine.

18. MHtele

MHtele TDPRI Member

Well FWIW...there's a thread somewhere here on TDPRI where a guy stripped his CV BSB with a heat gun and saved all the shavings of the poly that he took off. Then weighed them on a digital scale. 7.2 ounces as I recall. So that's almost a 1/2 pound just for the body poly alone.

19. Adam S

Adam S Tele-Meister

THIS.

20. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

^ I also did a repair on my CVC like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.